Italy trip - 2018

This is where Ariel.Club events should be posted to

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Digger
Club Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Italy trip - 2018

Post by Digger » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Well its time to start planning another trip. 

As mentioned somewhere before, those of us on the Portugal trip this year thought it would be good to go to Italy next year.  I will start putting together a draft programme in due course.  This is to start the discussion to see who's interested, route suggestions, etc.  We probably have 3 or 4 of the hard core tourers already for this trip  We will have a planning session before or just after Christmas, probably in west London somewhere.

Some initial thinking.....

When:  September or October 2018
How long: 2 week trip

Possible routes could include: Northern France, Black forest germany, Bavaria, through Austria into Italian dolomites,  Italian alpine passes, lakes,Tuscany, med coast into france, french alps, home.  Not sure we will have time to go further south in Italy.  We could make journey there just travel time on motorways, and have more time in Italy, or make the journey there part of the tour, taking in the sights and best roads. or a hybrid of those two options.

Possible visits to Porsche in Zuffenhausen (I know someone who works there), Ferrari in Modena, and maybe some other Italian supercars?

Given the distance, looking at options to get cars transported part of the way there or back to save time.

Budget: approx £3k - £4k.  I know thats expensive if you add to a family holiday as well, but these trips are well worth it.  Do at least one in your Nomad or Atom.  you could do part of the trip also.

Once we have a group going, we will probably move the  day to day discussion onto a WhatsApp group, with just updates here on the forum.
2016 Atom 3.5 (245)

c_a
Fab fifty
Fab fifty
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by c_a » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:40 am

One advice from a german: Black forest could be to cold and wet in late september and october to enjoy it.

User avatar
Steve Gibson
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2470
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Putney Hill, London
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Steve Gibson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:57 pm

I'd say September rather than October. The weather is likely to be better. Maybe even late August into early Sept.

Speaking personally, I'd rather keep discussions firmly on here until much closer to any trip. Finding and reading information on a phone, using WhatsApp, is a royal pain in the Atom seat, compared to using the forum as a resource.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310)
There is no cure.

www.gibson.co
Design for branding, print & digital

User avatar
Digger
Club Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Digger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:05 pm

Agree, I was trying to avoid the holiday hordes in August, but they will be coming the other way so we could set out late August. 

Thanks c_a for tip on new forest Black Forest.  It was just one particular road I wanted to try.
Last edited by Digger on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Atom 3.5 (245)

User avatar
Steve Gibson
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2470
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Putney Hill, London
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Steve Gibson » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:12 pm

[quote="Digger"]
Agree, I was trying to avoid the holiday hordes in August, but they will be coming the other way so we could set out late August. 
[/quote]

Crossing northern France and any of the Alps is pretty easy in August but I expect northern Italy will be busy.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310)
There is no cure.

www.gibson.co
Design for branding, print & digital

MrLizard
Club Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:26 pm
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by MrLizard » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:08 pm

:vroom: sounds interesting - was planning an Italy / northern lake trip through Switzerland etc next year so could be well up for this.

Curves Junkie
Fab fifty
Fab fifty
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:37 pm
Location: Germany, Baden-Wuerttemberg
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Curves Junkie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Digger wrote: This is to start the discussion to see who's interested, route suggestions, etc.

I'm from south Germany, not far from Zuffenhausen and if you want some support for the trip planning maybe I can help.
We probably have 3 or 4 of the hard core tourers already for this trip

How much kilometers are you thinking to drive by day in the mountains?
Possible routes could include: Northern France, Black forest germany, Bavaria, through Austria into Italian dolomites,  Italian alpine passes, lakes,Tuscany, med coast into france, french alps, home.  Not sure we will have time to go further south in Italy.
WOW, that sounds very interesting.  :drool:
Keep in mind that this tour will be > 4000 km without south Italy.
Steve Gibson wrote: I'd say September rather than October. The weather is likely to be better. Maybe even late August into early Sept.
Early June a lot of passes at the central alps (Swiss, Austria) are closed (winter lock). It depends how much snow fall during the winter - how long.
Mid July to End of August a lot of bikes and crazy cyclists are on the road. Most 3-4 of this idiots are driving side by side uphill and downhill they have a speed 90 km/h and more.

The best time to have a lot of fun with the ariel at the mountains are Mid of June and the first two weeks in September. After that time the risk you have snowfall is to high and the swiss and austria passes they close temporary at September.
And keep in mind in the morning before 9am the temperature is low and after 4pm the daylight is weak.
Digger wrote: It was just one particular road I wanted to try.
Which road? Show me at google maps.
MrLizard wrote: was planning an Italy / northern lake trip through Switzerland etc next year
@Digger's thoughts about the possible tour - it's possible to include Switzerland after
Italian alpine passes, lakes and before the french alps.

Perhaps excluding Tuscany, med coast into france.
Ariel Atom 3 300 [2010], Abarth 595 Competizione [2016]

User avatar
Rob Evans
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 832
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:16 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Rob Evans » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:36 pm

I could only make the last fortnight in July.
Aug and Sep are out.
October is unknown, but daylight in short supply.

Rob.
Atom 3.5 310, Audi S4, Abarth 500 and the Picanto. Atomclub Membership secretary (UK).
Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you an Atom.

User avatar
Digger
Club Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Digger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Rob thats a shame.  I can't do until September.  Perhaps there could be two trips? 
2016 Atom 3.5 (245)

User avatar
Digger
Club Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Digger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi Curves Junkie.

The trip planning is still very early stages, so nothing in detail yet.  For southern Germany, main reasons I wanted to go that way (other than its sort of on a straight line from Calais to Austria), is that my brother lives in Hemmingen (he wants to see the Atom) and I would really like to visit the Porsche factory.  Ive been through Zuffenhausen so may times before but never been to Porsche. 

The road I was thinking of was the route 500 hochstrasse from Baden Baden to Freudenstadt.  Ive heard its a good route, but perhaps you could confirm or advise?  It would be great to meet up with you if we pass through?  Perhaps join us for some/all of the trip.

I don't think we will have the time to cover all the areas I mentioned in my first post, but it was just ideas at this stage. All feedback, advice and recommendations, especially from a local is very welcome.

My preference is  first two weeks September or as soon as holidays over in August
2016 Atom 3.5 (245)

Curves Junkie
Fab fifty
Fab fifty
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:37 pm
Location: Germany, Baden-Wuerttemberg
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Curves Junkie » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:56 pm

Digger wrote: The trip planning is still very early stages, so nothing in detail yet.  For southern Germany, main reasons I wanted to go that way (other than its sort of on a straight line from Calais to Austria), is that my brother lives in Hemmingen (he wants to see the Atom) and I would really like to visit the Porsche factory.  Ive been through Zuffenhausen so may times before but never been to Porsche.


The straight and toll-free way from Calais to the alps is this way:
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Calais/5 ... m0!1m0!3e0
The road I was thinking of was the route 500 hochstrasse from Baden Baden to Freudenstadt.  Ive heard its a good route, but perhaps you could confirm or advise?
The Black forrest area is around Pforzheim, Baden-Baden, Offenburg, Freiburg im Breisgau, Villingen-Schwenningen, Herrenberg.
Here the B500 It's a nice road to drive but lot of sections are speed limited to 70km/h.
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/48.77855 ... 644796!3e0

My suggestion is to drive directly from Calais to Zuffenhausen, sleeping, next day go to Porsche museum https://www.porsche.com/museum/en/ and Mercedes Museum
https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/merced ... c/museum//
2. day a day trip at the black forrest incl. B500
3. day Route driving like my first link above, going on Timmelsjoch, Jaufenpass, now you are at the north of dolomites.
Perhaps join us for some/all of the trip.
Are you sure you want this?  ::)
I don't think we will have the time to cover all the areas I mentioned in my first post, but it was just ideas at this stage. All feedback, advice and recommendations, especially from a local is very welcome.
It depends which guys you are.  :vroom: :vroom:
Hard core tourer and drive Junkies like me or driver who like drinking tea every thirth parking place and visiting every sightseeing places.
My preference is  first two weeks September or as soon as holidays over in August
Last year I was at Ariel factory and I had learnt that it is decisive to get a very good price for the tunnel train or the ferry if you book it very early.
e.g. booking today from 27.08.-10.09. --> 83 + 81 GBP thats quite cheap. The ferry is 20 GBP more expensive.
Last edited by Curves Junkie on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom 3 300 [2010], Abarth 595 Competizione [2016]

User avatar
rjygill
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:53 am
Location: North of the Border, far North
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by rjygill » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Gents,

I am interested.  I was planning driving the Atom from Scotland to Lake Como this summer.  Some of the routes mentioned look very interesting as do the factory visits and its always more fun to travel in a small group of like-mined enthusiasts/idiots ..lol.

I have a small place in Bellano on Lake Como that can sleep four (two double beds) with off road parking and a garage that can accommodate one if not two Atoms (need to measure).  Monza is not far and neither is the MotoGuzzi factory which I hear is very good although I am not a fan.

Most importantly the Passo Dello Stelvio pass is about 140km from the location.

Regards,

Rob.

User avatar
Digger
Club Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Digger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Rob.  Great.  Yes it is good to be in a group.  A days driving in great cars on great roads, then the evening socialising with your fellow enthusiasts/idiots in some new location. Will begin looking at this trip this month, with a view to publishing a first draft routes in January, and perhaps fixing dates and accommodation then as well.

I will PM people who have offered advice etc to incorporate that
2016 Atom 3.5 (245)

User avatar
Osky
Club Member
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:41 pm
Location: Bologna - Italy
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Osky » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:54 am

Digger wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:49 pm
Well its time to start planning another trip. 

As mentioned somewhere before, those of us on the Portugal trip this year thought it would be good to go to Italy next year.  I will start putting together a draft programme in due course.  This is to start the discussion to see who's interested, route suggestions, etc.  We probably have 3 or 4 of the hard core tourers already for this trip  We will have a planning session before or just after Christmas, probably in west London somewhere.

Some initial thinking.....

When:  September or October 2018
How long: 2 week trip

Possible routes could include: Northern France, Black forest germany, Bavaria, through Austria into Italian dolomites,  Italian alpine passes, lakes,Tuscany, med coast into france, french alps, home.  Not sure we will have time to go further south in Italy.  We could make journey there just travel time on motorways, and have more time in Italy, or make the journey there part of the tour, taking in the sights and best roads. or a hybrid of those two options.

Possible visits to Porsche in Zuffenhausen (I know someone who works there), Ferrari in Modena, and maybe some other Italian supercars?

Given the distance, looking at options to get cars transported part of the way there or back to save time.

Budget: approx £3k - £4k.  I know thats expensive if you add to a family holiday as well, but these trips are well worth it.  Do at least one in your Nomad or Atom.  you could do part of the trip also.

Once we have a group going, we will probably move the  day to day discussion onto a WhatsApp group, with just updates here on the forum.
If you are planning to arrive to the Tuscany, you have to do the Raticosa - Futa from Bologna to Florence (and of course I will be with you on the road! ;D )!!

Please note that around Bologna - Modena (about 40 km of distance), there are:
Ferrari (Maranello)
Lamborghini (Sant'Agata Bolognese)
Pagani (near Modena)
Ducati (Bologna)
not so far there is Dallara (near Parma)

About 2 days to spend if you want see all museums and factory.

If you have an idea about the place, I can suggest you some "best Italian roads", some famous and other less.

Ciao
Osky

User avatar
Digger
Club Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Hampshire
Contact:

Re: Italy trip - 2018

Post by Digger » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Grazie molto Osky

Yes it will be good to meet up with you. Will begin planning the trip in January, and will PM you for advice on roads etc.

Ciao

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest