Bringing back wing and fender ideas

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
bolus

Bringing back wing and fender ideas

Post by bolus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:42 pm

I thought I would bring the topic of vented fenders and wing alternatives back up.  DP reminded me that Stohr is based in Portland.  I gave them a call today and they are happy to look into making custom parts fro us since they do a lot of composites.    They specialize in wings as well.   He said one of the largest wings they make is still only $1200 so it seems like something for our cars would be less.

I also asked them about at least making some sort of universal wing mounting kit for the Atom so that you guys could pick what ever wing you wanted to attach.  It would be something in the spirit of Brammo's wing attachm
Last edited by bolus on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lane

Re: Bringing back wing and fender ideas

Post by Lane » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:09 pm

[quote="bolus"]
 He said one of the largest wings they make is still only $1200 so it seems like something for our cars would be less.

I also asked them about at least making some sort of universal wing mounting kit for the Atom so that you guys could pick what ever wing you wanted to attach.
[/quote]

Cool Bolus.  I would likely be interested in this (especially the choice part), assuming that the wing provides the proper function.  I'd consider Shinoo's wing, but the look isn't quite right for my tastes.

[quote="bolus"]
It would be something in the spirit of Brammo's wing attachment to the frame. 
[/quote]

Uh oh - haven't we seen how that works with aftermarket Atom parts in the past?  I'll think good thoughts though - maybe this time is different.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 pm

He seemed enthusiastic so we'll see.  Nice knowing they are local and could use my car to make parts.  Who knows if anything will come of it but things have been really stale around here lately so I'm trying to whip things up again

tarsman013

Post by tarsman013 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:17 am

ya all of the sudden, the forum went dead... wtf??? ???

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:37 am

People are out driving their Atoms.  Make hay while the sun shines! 8)

dp35

Post by dp35 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:41 am

Did DP mention that someone he knows is in the process of installing a Stohr wing on their Atom right now? 

You mentioned that Stohr makes composite parts, which is true, but if you want to get a wing that's functional and cheap, it does not need to be cf or even fiberglass.  Stohr has made many aluminum wings too, and they're also capable of creating downforce.  The twisted cf wings are pretty to look at and probably do perform better, but they cost many times more than a simple aluminum wing.  Its a matter of priorities, either function at a reasonable cost, or function AND style at a high cost.  Either one is fine IMO - your car, your money, your choice.  Just don't forget to post photos.

I still like the vented fenders idea, but I'm not willing to spend thousands of dollars on it.  If something were available that could be added to the stock Atom fenders, tastefully, like shown in the photo above, that might work.  Of course this would require cutting up our stock fenders, which would be quite a committment, but possibly worth it.  Ideally they'd have something from another car that we could adapt to work on ours.  Otherwise they'd have to charge a lot to build a few custom parts.  Doesn't hurt to ask though. 
Last edited by dp35 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:47 am

[quote="bolus"]
I thought I would bring the topic of vented fenders and wing alternatives back up.  DP reminded me that Stohr is based in Portland. 

[/quote]

Be honest, you only started this thread so you can post pictures of CF goodies.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:24 pm

[quote="dp35"]
Did DP mention that someone he knows is in the process of installing a Stohr wing on their Atom right now? 
[/quote]

No,  how it went is I asked him if he could make us a universal wing mounting kit that would fit all the exhausts we are now using.  So people could be off the shelf wings and make them work.  but he is tied up so much with his 4 car developments he suggested stohr.

I called them up and said we only have one official wing set for us and it cost 10% of the value of the car and I wanted something less expensive and fit my exhaust or shinoo's exhaust.  Since they said their most expensive wing is only $1200 I think there is a good chance they could help us.   

I'm hoping to get by their shop on saturday with the car to get some quotes going on fenders, wing mounts and wings

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Not that you really need to be encouraged to do so, but please report back after your trip to their facilities!  I'll be very interested in less expensive wing alternatives and brackets that work with the aftermarket exhaust alternatives.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:17 pm

I've been chatting with Lane over email who was researching wing options himself.  He sent me his collection of wing pics.  Anyone know any more information about these two?  Are the custom?

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:53 pm

Due to SCCA regulations, the wings on my Stohr F1000 are fiberglass, not C/F. They are simple and work well though.

[img width=800 height=373]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... by1of1.jpg[/img]

I have had a few interactions with Stohr, both the West coast (Portland) and East coast (Atlanta) groups. Nice folks all, and very helpful.

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:19 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Anyone know any more information about these two?  Are the custom?
[/quote]

Looks like they're from here.
Might be info in this forum thread too.
Who's our French interpreter?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:49 pm

Wings will soon be here... I can hardly wait!

Monza

Post by Monza » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:50 pm

Bolus : the 2 pics are french Atoms and yes they are custom made.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:50 am

Jesus,that Stohr F1000 is SEXY! I can picture that in Performance red. Wow. Bike powered...but I do believe I could accept that..

Wonder if I could add an upper wing to the Brammo Atom wings for added downforce...or would it be a shame to modify them?