Should we call it the US Atom 3.25?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
rijowysock

Should we call it the US Atom 3.25?

Post by rijowysock » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:41 am

Saw this today from T.M.I.:

"TMI AutoTech, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of the 2013 Ariel Atom 3 incorporating numerous exciting changes and updates to the North American market for the already well developed and proven Atom 3 supercar.

The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 will provide newly offered standard features that will augment both function and performance. In addition to new standard features TMI AutoTech, Inc. is excited to release new options that will continue enabling our customers to uniquely individualize building the vehicle of their dreams.

A high function digital dash that has been well proven within the popular Spec:RaceAtom race & track-day car has been adopted for full use within the Atom 3. The Atom 3 driving experience will be enhanced by a new built-in dead pedal and an anatomic steering wheel. Multiple gear shift knobs are also being released to provide improved cockpit ergonomics and individuality.

Looking from the outside - the 2013 Ariel Atom 3 will offer new standard color choices for both the chassis and body panels while also providing a subtle bonnet design change that will visually set it apart from previous Ariel Atom 3s.

Function and aesthetics are not the only changes for 2013. Performance is always a priority when referring to any Ariel Atom 3 and we haven't overlooked that important aspect of the new car. The Honda 2.4L engine will once again be offered providing smooth, reliable power with outstanding torque output in standard naturally aspirated form. A soon to be released supercharger option for this engine is now being developed and tested by TMI AutoTech that will be offered to Ariel Atom 3 buyers seeking maximum performance. In addition to a significant horsepower increase, the 2.4L supercharger option also provides the highest torque rating to date for any Ariel Atom 3; 20 ft/lbs more than the previously used 2.0L supercharged engine option.

The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 chassis will incorporate additional chassis bracing and stiffness to enhance the car's platform as well as the function and effectiveness of its push rod suspension system. Rounding out the performance changes are the use of 4-piston brake calipers on all corners of the vehicle as standard equipment. Bespoke lightweight magnesium wheels are once again an available option - a great compliment to the above chassis and braking upgrades.

The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 is the next evolution of the already iconic Ariel Atom supercar. "Building on our experience over the past 5 years as a manufacturer of this exciting vehicle has allowed us to listen to clients, while at the same time put ideas to the test immediately on our backyard test track- Virginia International Raceway" explains Mark Swain - V.P. TMI AutoTech, Inc. "The 2013 Ariel Atom 3 is a product that comes from evolution.....from our clients, as well as a company built by driving enthusiasts"

TMI AutoTech, Inc. is pleased to offer this North American edition to buyers starting January, 2013."

looks like a bunch of text but the cliffs notes:

--Digital Dash from the SRA now on AA3
--Dead Pedal from Factory
--Shift Knob Variants versus fixed
--New Steering Wheel
(I have this wheel already and it's great!)
--2.4L engine ((K24z7) same as before available but now the SC tune is available. )
--Couple new colors available for chassis/panels
--Coffin Bonnet
(different shape at tea tray)
--4pot Wilwood standard
--New Magnesium Wheels Offered as option
--Chassis Rigidity Increased
(i assume a few bars from SRA integrated)

not bad overall for only a $4,000.00 increase in price.... i'm excited to see the new wheels!

overall nothing too insane, i'm glad they did NOT adopt the new 3.5 headlights/taillights but would kind of like the turn signals in the front fenders. ... the subtle changes are good for the model but since they are subtle it's like the "porsche 911" approach.. just change the car slightly and the previous cars always have a strong demand as well (american car companies have not discovered this yet).

-Riley
Last edited by rijowysock on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rijowysock

Re: Should we call it the US Atom 3.25?

Post by rijowysock » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:42 am

i wish i had got the dead pedal update, as installing my Sector111 Dead pedal took about 3 years off my life getting in there to drill and rivet!
Last edited by rijowysock on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket Man

Post by Rocket Man » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:24 am

with the inclusion of a new engine, should we call it the Atom 3.75 ?

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:05 am

[quote="Rocket Man"]
with the inclusion of a new engine, should we call it the Atom 3.75 ?
[/quote]

problem is there are 3 engines stateside

k20a(discontinued) k20z3, k24z7

and then the 2 setups.. original and now revamped....

thoughts?

i kinda like the porsche numbers, 997.1 and 997.2

so we would have AA3.1 and AA3.2, (US specs and UK spec) and the engine change is basically like saying 997.1 S or 4S.... you state model and then the engine..

so i have an AA3.1 (US spec) with 2.4L

(we're killing this subject lol)

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 am

The K20A is integra/civic type R from the previous generation if I'm correct, but what car is the K20Z3 used in?
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 am

[quote="speedmachine"]
The K20A is integra/civic type R from the previous generation if I'm correct, but what car is the K20Z3 used in?
[/quote]

The type r engine is the grail for many. Stopped production in July however which is why the us cars changed.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_K_engine

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:49 pm

K20z used in the last UK type R

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:59 pm

my Atom 2 has the K20a, doesn't it? Or are there any numbers following after the "a"?

Monza

Post by Monza » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:44 pm

UK Atom 2 : K20A
UK Atom 3 : K20Z4
;)
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm

[quote="speedmachine"]
my Atom 2 has the K20a, doesn't it? Or are there any numbers following after the "a"?
[/quote]

Wrinkle red valve cover is the k20a. (No numbers after) this is the rare type r motor. This motor never made it state side in ANY peoduction vehicles. Which makes it special

toms

Post by toms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 am

K20A is the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) version of the engine, which has higher compression and ran at 217BHP in the Honda cars.  They couldn't fit these to European/US cars as this engine must run on 97RON + fuel - European regs say the car must be able to run on 95.....

Z2, Z3, Z4, A2 etc are all different Market versions but are pretty much all 197BHP in the original car depending on subtle spec differences.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:12 am

[quote="Tom"]
K20A is the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) version of the engine, which has higher compression and ran at 217BHP in the Honda cars.  They couldn't fit these to European/US cars as this engine must run on 97RON + fuel - European regs say the car must be able to run on 95.....

Z2, Z3, Z4, A2 etc are all different Market versions but are pretty much all 197BHP in the original car depending on subtle spec differences.
[/quote]

Does this mean my lhd 2005 has some letters after the A? It was origanally a belgium car i believe.(nr 2216)

toms

Post by toms » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:03 am

[quote="speedmachine"]
[quote="Tom"]

[/quote]

Does this mean my lhd 2005 has some letters after the A? It was origanally a belgium car i believe.(nr 2216)
[/quote]

Yours is the K20A (JDM version)

Anx

Post by Anx » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:36 am

Anyone have any pictures or know what their slightly modified new bonnet looks like?  I'm interested in seeing what they did, since I didn't notice that the new Atom in the UK had any bonnet tweaks.

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:57 am

[quote="Anx"]
Anyone have any pictures or know what their slightly modified new bonnet looks like?  I'm interested in seeing what they did, since I didn't notice that the new Atom in the UK had any bonnet tweaks.
[/quote]

im sure it's the casket bonnet.. top by dash is angled diff.. like a coffin. pics on the UK website