Should we call it the US Atom 3.25?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
rbuckingham

Re: Should we call it the US Atom 3.25?

Post by rbuckingham » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:11 am

Can we start the Supercharged K24 Dyno numbers speculation? :)

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 am

[quote="Richard SoCal"]
[/quote]

it's only 300/310... the 2.4 makes same hp as 2.0.. just has more tq due to displacement..... it's not a linear graph.. more displacement being more power.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:21 am

These 'plan view' pictures might show how the shape differs a bit more clearly :-

Original
Attachments
IMG_7734 (Medium).jpg
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:22 am

Atom 3.5 Style
Attachments
atomcup+overview.jpg
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Anx

Post by Anx » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 am

Gotcha - thanks for the pictures!  I've got the windshield on mine, so the difference didn't stand out as much to me... I wonder if they're going to do anything different for it's bonnet as well...

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:26 pm

[quote="rijowysock"]
[quote="Richard SoCal"]
[/quote]

it's only 300/310... the 2.4 makes same hp as 2.0.. just has more tq due to displacement..... it's not a linear graph.. more displacement being more power.
[/quote]

It's just less efficient with more displacement, just how americans like their engines  ;)

I had a mustang with only 250 pony's out of almost 5 liters and my Viper made only 400 out of 8 liters, thats an average. Of 50 horses per liter...k24 is actually pretty good :)
Atom 4 on its way, GR Yaris for the wet days

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 am

[quote="John Scherrer"]
Atom 3.5 Style
[/quote]

honestly not a fan.. not sure about other owners but i set my helmet on the void on the dash... sits perfectly and steering wheel under it...or in the passenger seat.. otherwise difficult to get inside "holding" all that while securing harness.

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:59 am

[quote="speedmachine"]
[quote="rijowysock"]
[quote="Richard SoCal"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's just less efficient with more displacement, just how americans like their engines  ;)

I had a mustang with only 250 pony's out of almost 5 liters and my Viper made only 400 out of 8 liters, thats an average. Of 50 horses per liter...k24 is actually pretty good :)
[/quote]

i dont think it's inefficiency, its just design changes and many other things... it would be impossible for all engines to have the same horsepower per liter... so many variables to account for... i think the 2.4L was made and designed for extra tq... i dont think they really needed extra power as it was above it's class for power rating....

for a while the s2000 had the record i think for a 2.0L but those times have changed.. obviously that was for stock engine and untuned....

rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 am

for a while the s2000 had the record i think for a 2.0L but those times have changed.. obviously that was for stock engine and untuned....
For NA maybe yeah, add a Turbo though and you have the Mitsubishi EVO FQ400 at 405HP from a 2.0L Engine which was technically a factory stock road car (although with aggressive maintenance requirements.) Not sure if anything else comes close without being a rally/race car spec? I guess RX7 with their Wankel design is disqualified too, 280HP from 1.3L?