fuel tank leak issue

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
atomizer

fuel tank leak issue

Post by atomizer » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:30 am

Iam looking for info on solving a  fuel tank lead issue. when filling up fuel towards the end fuel is leaking out from where the fuel neck is connected to the tank. looks like a gasket issue.
any upgrade parts I should replace with?
  anything body else have this issue?

l33haw

Re: fuel tank leak issue

Post by l33haw » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:25 am

Do a search on the forum as there's a fair bit about fuel leaks. This is some of my experience.

http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,13422.msg244578.html#msg244578

Can you see where the fuel is coming out? If its the filler connecting onto the tank I would take that apart first and see if the jubilee clip has failed or perhaps a weld on the tank neck. Also it's recommended not to fill the tank right up into the filler neck itself, so that may help too.

Post some pictures if poss.

Terry Kennedy

Re: fuel tank leak issue

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:20 pm

[quote="Atomizer"]
Iam looking for info on solving a  fuel tank lead issue. when filling up fuel towards the end fuel is leaking out from where the fuel neck is connected to the tank. looks like a gasket issue.[/quote]
Brammo Atom, right? Many of those cars were built with gaskets that weren't fuel resistant. Normally the symptom is poor performance from a blocked fuel pickup sock / fuel pump.

Once the fuel level is below the filler neck, remove the rear deck and filler hose and look down into the tank to see if there's lots of black crud on the bottom. If there is, you need to pull the fuel pump / sender and either clean it (often not possible) or replace it, along with the gaskets on both the fuel pump and the filler neck, as well as flushing out the gas tank.

TMI has replacement gaskets for the Brammo cars. I recommend this seller for a complete replacement fuel pickup / pump / assembly. The part he is selling is a Canadian Aveo recall kit and includes lots more pieces (like the in-line filter can) not found on the much more expensive parts of the same number. You'll need to re-use the wiring from your existing pump as well as the existing fuel lines.

Getting the fuel pump out is a pain. The easiest way is to drill out the rivets holding the firewall behind the seats in place, and work it out that way. Use rivnuts when reassembling so that you have less work if you ever have to get back in there.

There can be some other tricky points, like the backing plate on the filler flange not being captive and falling into the tank. There has been a lot of discussion about this issue here.