The New Ariel Atom 700!

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
ub2slow

The New Ariel Atom 700!

Post by ub2slow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:24 am

Well, it has been a very long and secret build, but it is finally finished! I know there have been some leaks recently of the project, but it is now officially done. I commissioned DDMWorks to build what we believe to be the "new" most powerful Atom out there, the Atom 700. The entire engine was built from the ground up with absolutely no expenses spared to create this Ecotec monster which includes forced induction twin charging utilizing not only the factory supercharger but also a Garrett GTX3076R Turbocharger. All of this power is adjustable with 3 different boost control settings essentially by about 100hp increments topping out around 700hp. Driving this car is simply incredible with acceleration that can not be described...simply explosive!

Other than some changes to the stickers and graphics that I didn't like and had changed, here are a few pictures before I had them change the graphics...

DDMWorks Twincharged Atom 700

http://jpmcgphotography.smugmug.com/...8566&k=N2jZ7M4

OK, here is just a small sampling of the details on the build. The actual list of items on the invoice is over 5 pages long but here are a few highlights:

Interior:

* Complete custom designed new carbon fiber dash and gauge surround
* New Momo Steering wheel with top cutout (so I can read the gauges)
* Steering wheel buttons that control Hi/Lo beam lights and horn
* Additional SPA Gauge package (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, boost pressure)
* HKS Boost controller (3 tuned settings of power/boost)
* Fire Extinguisher with custom panel/mount/brackets
* New Shift light
* Signal Dynamics Auto cancelling turn signals
* New silver w/blue lighted toggle switches for dash
* New red lighted starter switch

Exterior:

* New Extra wide carbon fiber rear fenders, old rear fenders moved to front
* SSR Professor wheels with Black finish (16x7-front, 17x9-rear)
* Side plexi panel installed dark tinted black
* LED marker lights and signals
* ARP GTC-200 carbon fiber adjustable wing
* Toyo 225/45/16-R888-Front , Toyo 275/40/17-R888-Rear
* Replace Ariel Atom logo with dark graphite color, Add DDMWorks Atom 700 graphics

Now for the good stuff:

Mechanical (partial list):

* Motor Dis-assembled; decking, honing, boring, and installation of Darton MID Sleeves
* Balanced Crankshaft
* Polished Crank
* Competition Head Porting including shaving the head and 3 way valve job
* All new timing chain, balance shaft bearings, rear main seal, main and girdle bolts, main bearings, rod bearing
* Neutral balance shafts
* Carillo rods - H beam with ARP rod bolts
* Wiseco Pistons - Coated Custom made with slick sides, wrist pins, rings, locks
* ARP Head Studs
* New valve seats
* Supertech Valve Springs/retainer kit
* Supertech intake valves
* Supertech Exhaust valves
* Cometic head gasket
* Garrett GTX3076R Turbocharger ceramic coated black - Twincharged utilizing existing supercharger

* Custom oil cooler and oil system
* Custom black thermal coated intercooler
* Custom black ceramic coated header and exhaust system with Magnaflow mufflers
* Siemens 80# injectors
* DDMWorks custom dual fuel rail
* Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump and customized entire fuel system
* Aeromotive Boost Reference Fuel Regulator
* Oil Cooler
* Aux injector controller
* Modified fuel tank, custom baffles, pickup, etc.
* Countless custom fabricated parts

Dyno Results:

Power at the wheels = 629 hp, 522 ft-lbs. torque

I think that might be enough to give you an idea. All I can say is the car is very drivable with smooth power...but it is terrifying!!!!

atomizer

Re: The New Ariel Atom 700!

Post by atomizer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 am

and no cup holder.......

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:36 am

Very impressive and comprehensive build.

When can I have a go of it?

Ben

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:30 pm

That it a thing of beauty :tu:

That really is a ground up rebuild!

Some video would be very nice :vroom:

Cheers,

Stu
Atom 4, Gr Yaris

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:45 pm

All those lovely upgrades and developments.....yet the bloody lights are still the same !!!  ;D

Looks amazing by the way !

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

toms

Post by toms » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Yeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaa!!

That sort of power must be awesome  ;D  If you need an 'Ariel Approved' test driver to have a go in it and give you a verdict then next time i'm in the US i'd be more than happy to oblige  ;D

wattie

Post by wattie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:40 pm

Yup, great job!
Like the neat rear....all integrated into the V  :tu:

Enjoy, cheers Wattie

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:10 pm

Great Job  :tu: - so what is the engine capacity now..still standard? and what transmission are you running and with what modifications? 

ub2slow

Post by ub2slow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 pm

[quote="Stew"]
Great Job  :tu: - so what is the engine capacity now..still standard? and what transmission are you running and with what modifications?
[/quote]

After careful consultation and calculations with the builder, he thought the stock transmission would hold up fine considering the low weight of the Atom and the stress release also being loss of traction.  He said there are many 600hp Cobalts that weigh more than twice as much that the transmissions are holding up on.  With the extreme light weight of the Atom and primarily being used on the street with gradual power application on a roll rather than say a violent drag strip it should be fine.  Of course if you abuse it, anything can break.  So far, so good!  If he is wrong, we will simply fix it but I believe it will be fine.  I was good with this approach and it all made perfect since to me. :vroom:

ub2slow

Post by ub2slow » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:54 pm

[quote="Stew"]
[/quote]

By the way, engine was not bored out to a larger displacement but all internals completely beefed up and built for the power.  One more thing on the transmission, cost was not an object, it was just decided it was not needed. 

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 pm

:tu: :tu: top job.  :vroom:

ub2slow

Post by ub2slow » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks for the compliments!  It is really fun...

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:46 am

Pics aren't coming up for me. Sounds awesome though! :tu:

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:09 am

[quote="ub2slow"]
After careful consultation and calculations with the builder, he thought the stock transmission would hold up fine considering the low weight of the Atom and the stress release also being loss of traction.  He said there are many 600hp Cobalts that weigh more than twice as much that the transmissions are holding up on.  With the extreme light weight of the Atom and primarily being used on the street with gradual power application on a roll rather than say a violent drag strip it should be fine.[/quote]
Sorry for the belated reply - I've been off doing other things. Anyway...

There are two points of weakness you should discuss with your builder. The first is the driveshafts. Toward the end of Brammo Atom production, the vendor for the driveshafts came out with an upgraded version. The company is called The Driveshaft Shop and they still produce parts for Brammo Atoms. You might want to talk to them to see if they think uprated parts would be useful. They should also be able to tell you if you have original or improved ones on your car now.

The second thing is the rear upright / hub / bearing assembly. Each of those three components have failed on some cars. There were various improvements made along the way, but the basic design isn't really up to the task when used on a car with either more power, more grip, or both. Both Palatov Motorsport and Unique Fabricating designed replacement uprights from scratch. Both have larger bearings, redesigned hubs, and billet aluminum uprights. As far as I know, neither of them is "in stock" at either company, but they both still have the CNC files and the tooling to produce them.