Do they offer the 2.4L supercharged?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Insight

Do they offer the 2.4L supercharged?

Post by Insight » Sat May 19, 2012 5:12 am

I was looking at the TMI Atom options on their website and noticed that they do not list a supercharge option. Do they not have an atom 300 anymore?

If they do not offer the supercharger anymore, what are your thoughts about this?

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Do they offer the 2.4L supercharged?

Post by John Scherrer » Sat May 19, 2012 10:22 am

I posted this comment on March 24th 2012, after TMI announced the 2.4 litre engine :_

Mugen-spec engine or the new K24 US-spec 2.4 litre with charger would be interesting!
Are we getting the K24 phased in over here sometime?

Tom replied on March 26th:-

Supercharging a Mugen spec engine would be a waste of time - that engine is tuned for normally aspirated; the cams and high compression wouldn't suit it.  You'd have to run less boost to keep it safe because of the high compression; so you might as well just have a standard engine to start with and run 7.5psi rather than 5.5...

K24 blown would be interesting and would make a load of torque (I would doubt any extra power) but that engine isn't as 'exciting' as the 2 litre in my opinion.  It's plenty fast (on a par with the 2 litre), but the missing RPM at the top end makes it drive quite differently.  No plans for a K24 this side of the pond at present.

Our colleagues in the US may have more information ...
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

atomaker

Re: Do they offer the 2.4L supercharged?

Post by atomaker » Tue May 22, 2012 3:05 pm

No choice on us moving to the K24Z7 (single-port exhaust) from the previous K20AJDM > K20Z3 on this side of the pond (N. America) due to US Honda production/availability.  Now nicely developed, adapted & tuned for 2012 SRA builds & anticipating good parity to K20Z3 SRAs. 

Nobody should underestimate the power delivery, smoothness & overall performance of the new base K24Z7 powered Atom 3s.

No S/C K24 single-port yet but we're actively working on it.  Also, substituting K20Z3 4-port head onto the K24 block + bespoke ECU tune is another potential performance upgrade, with or w/o S/C, but end costs not yet evaluated.

Team TMI