2.4 Atom 3 Motor

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Marcus

2.4 Atom 3 Motor

Post by Marcus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:21 pm

What do you folks think about the new motor vs the K20?

benyeats

Re: 2.4 Atom 3 Motor

Post by benyeats » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:53 pm

Does the new US 3 have a different power plant to a UK 3 ?  Thought they were 2.0L still

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 am

In November last year, TMI announced that the 2012 Spec Racers would have Honda K24 2.4 litre engines and all those with existing 2.0 litre spec race cars were spooked in case they were no longer able to use them (they are)

I read elsewhere that TMI have emailed the following to the US owners a few days ago :-

Bigger is better - Right? What about a larger displacement engine in the already lightweight Ariel Atom 3 supercar? Sounded like a great idea to us!

The idea sounded so good in fact that all North American Ariel Atom 3s will be equipped with the powerful new Honda 2.4-liter, 16-valve, DOHC i-VTEC 4 cylinder engine mated to a close ratio 6-speed transmission. This replacing the out-going 2.0-liter engine.

Torque is king on this vehicle with lots on tap to swiftly accelerate the lightweight Atom 3 to 60mph at an alarming rate. Keeping all this torque under control in a useable fashion is done with the aid of a Hondata tuned engine control unit.

Another fantastic improvement that both driver and passenger will be able to notice are a smoother ride with this 2.4-liter power plant thanks to Honda engineered internal balance shafts.

The Atom 3 continues to get better, and better. Now is the time to move forward with Atom ownership!

Contact us today to find out more about this exciting new development.

Sincerely,

Mark Swain
TMI AutoTech Inc

It doesn't give much away as to the exact specification - bhp, torque etc but it's got to be an improvement in the torque department, expecially with the supercharger  :tu:
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 am

I got that email too, and yes, it left a big gaping hole where they shoulda discussed what the various power options offered were going to be.

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:30 pm

On the super charger versions....  :P lets see.... 150 hp per litre.... 2.4 litres...  :P carry the one...  :P about 360 hp??!!

Gage

Post by Gage » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:15 am

It will simply match the new Civic SI motors.  (going all 2.4)  That will garner more respect here in the States.

rijowysock

Post by rijowysock » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:19 am

[quote="Flying Phil"]
On the super charger versions....  :P lets see.... 150 hp per litre.... 2.4 litres...  :P carry the one...  :P about 360 hp??!!
[/quote]

i wish!