Wanted: California Registered Atom

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
imapilot

Wanted: California Registered Atom

Post by imapilot » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:39 am

Looking for a California registered Atom for sale preferably supercharged.

hnlbill

Re: Wanted: California Registered Atom

Post by hnlbill » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:13 am

Hi,

We have a 2006 Atom 2, 300 hp supercharged GM Ecotec engine, with extensive factory upgrades.  The car is in Hawaii and only has 26 (twenty six) miles from new.  It is not street registered (unable to do so in Hawaii) and is in fantastic as-new condition.  Cost was over $70K, selling for $51,500.  Photo attached (car comes with carbon fiber fenders).  Cost to ship car from Honolulu to Long Beach or Oakland is $1100.  Please contact me at bill.hnl (at) gmail.com if any interest.  Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg

TZL

Post by TZL » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Thats a great deal, but from what I understand, we wouldn't be able to street reg that in CA

Anyone know otherwise?

[quote="hnlbill"]
Hi,

We have a 2006 Atom 2, 300 hp supercharged GM Ecotec engine, with extensive factory upgrades.  The car is in Hawaii and only has 26 (twenty six) miles from new.  It is not street registered (unable to do so in Hawaii) and is in fantastic as-new condition.  Cost was over $70K, selling for $51,500.  Photo attached (car comes with carbon fiber fenders).  Cost to ship car from Honolulu to Long Beach or Oakland is $1100.  Please contact me at bill.hnl (at) gmail.com if any interest.  Thanks!
[/quote]

ghettoracer

Post by ghettoracer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:12 pm

By buddy has a 300bhp Ecotec that's registered.  This one:

08/26/2007 7am Sunday Morning drive in Ariel Atom

He might be interested to sell...

TZL

Post by TZL » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:27 pm

What are the details/specs on his car? How do I get in touch with him?

[quote="ghettoracer"]

[/quote]

ghettoracer

Post by ghettoracer » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:31 pm

I don't remember the details but I talked about it a bit in the video.  Koni 3012's, Wilwood brakes, 300 bhp Ecotec...  i've let him know of this thread.  he might be checking in soon...

SloanZurnToto

Post by SloanZurnToto » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:17 pm

Keep in mind that the original exhaust on the Brammo Atom2's was crap, and count on upgrading it which will cost around $2,500.
Also, you are better off buying a CA registered Atom which is exempt from Smog for life, rather than buying an unregistered one because registration can be tricky, and with only 500 spots/year for the Specialty Constructed vehicle exemption it's really the luck of the draw with no guarantees, and if you miss out you have to wait a whole year to try again.

Shooterblaze

Post by Shooterblaze » Mon May 21, 2012 2:41 pm

[quote="ghettoracer"]

[/quote]

Too late. I already bought it :)

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon May 21, 2012 7:44 pm

[quote="Shooterblaze"]
[quote="ghettoracer"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So that's what happened to that mysterious car!

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon May 21, 2012 9:31 pm

[quote="SloanZurnToto"]
Keep in mind that the original exhaust on the Brammo Atom2's was crap, and count on upgrading it which will cost around $2,500.[/quote]

Like many things on Brammo Atoms, this varied over time. While many people have had the flex joint(s) blow out, I don't think this has happened on any of the original RAM cars. Mine was fine for at least 15K miles when I replaced the whole system.

The Brammo muffler is pretty cheap (rumor has it that it was a $36 part before Brammo welded the trilobe flange and mounting tabs onto it). It tends to look good on the outside if kept polished. The guts are garbage - people who cut it open have discovered that it just has some mesh and what looks like a couple of balls of steel wool inside. But if it still sounds Ok, what's inside probably doesn't matter. A number of people have had the header crack, usually at / near the 4-into-1 piece.

I have the Sector 111 exhaust, which is very nice. There are a couple of issues with it (at least the one I bought in 2007), though:

o It sticks out much further than the stock one and prevents mounting of the Brammo rear wing.
o The mounting tabs didn't line up with the frame brackets (the "No two Brammo Atoms are the same" problem).
o The exhaust manifold header is very stylized and doesn't work well with the stock (or most aftermarket) gaskets, leading to leakage. I ended up using a custom graphite gasket.
o The outlet tip ends very close to the 90 degree bend, making the addition of a SuperTrapp "sunflower" bolt-on impossible.

Tom Smurzynski at Unique Fabricating has a truly amazing modular exhaust. Randy has it on his Atom.

Fortress Performance had an exhaust system for the Atom, but according to their web site they are no longer involved in automotive work.

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon May 21, 2012 10:31 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="SloanZurnToto"]
Keep in mind that the original exhaust on the Brammo Atom2's was crap, and count on upgrading it which will cost around $2,500.[/quote]

Like many things on Brammo Atoms, this varied over time. While many people have had the flex joint(s) blow out, I don't think this has happened on any of the original RAM cars. Mine was fine for at least 15K miles when I replaced the whole system.

The Brammo muffler is pretty cheap (rumor has it that it was a $36 part before Brammo welded the trilobe flange and mounting tabs onto it). It tends to look good on the outside if kept polished. The guts are garbage - people who cut it open have discovered that it just has some mesh and what looks like a couple of balls of steel wool inside. But if it still sounds Ok, what's inside probably doesn't matter. A number of people have had the header crack, usually at / near the 4-into-1 piece.

I have the Sector 111 exhaust, which is very nice. There are a couple of issues with it (at least the one I bought in 2007), though:

o It sticks out much further than the stock one and prevents mounting of the Brammo rear wing.
o The mounting tabs didn't line up with the frame brackets (the "No two Brammo Atoms are the same" problem).
o The exhaust manifold header is very stylized and doesn't work well with the stock (or most aftermarket) gaskets, leading to leakage. I ended up using a custom graphite gasket.
o The outlet tip ends very close to the 90 degree bend, making the addition of a SuperTrapp "sunflower" bolt-on impossible.

Tom Smurzynski at Unique Fabricating has a truly amazing modular exhaust. Randy has it on his Atom.

Fortress Performance had an exhaust system for the Atom, but according to their web site they are no longer involved in automotive work.
[/quote]

The Hytech exhaust (which is what I believe Sector111 sells) also suffers from "no two alike" syndrome: the later models of the exhaust have a long enough output tube that a clamped Supertrapp stack fits.

Shooterblaze

Post by Shooterblaze » Tue May 22, 2012 2:29 am

[quote="Karl"]
[quote="Shooterblaze"]
[quote="ghettoracer"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So that's what happened to that mysterious car!
[/quote]

Hehe... it took years for my buddy to finally let it go! :)