Atom 3 Radiator exit air ducting modification

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
timcking

Atom 3 Radiator exit air ducting modification

Post by timcking » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Being a compulsive person always looking for simple ways to improve my Atom 3, I was intrigued with the four vertical posts on the frame supports immediately behind the radiator.  These are the small posts that have small screws in them.

After some thought, it occurred to me that they could be utilized to support a panel ducting the radiator exit air out the sides of the car.  This would eliminate the radiator exit air from going out the bottom.

Years ago I built a Cobra replicar that had a lot of high speed lift from the radiator inlet air exiting out the bottom.  As a result, I recently fabricated a very simple panel assembly on the Atom to do this.  I don't know if I've eliminated any lift, but there's been no detrimental effect on the cooling.  I do get a little more warm air into the cockpit, but it's not objectionable.

Has anyone else tried this on a track car?  It might be beneficial.  Also, does anyone know what these posts are for?

Tim

payne

Re: Atom 3 Radiator exit air ducting modification

Post by payne » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 am

I believe the posts were for the heat exchangers on an A2, but I could be wrong.

Any pics of your setup?  I was toying with the idea of putting an oil cooler and accusump there.

Thanks,
Jason

timcking

Post by timcking » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:59 pm

Thanks Jason.  I'll work on the pictures.  I always have trouble reducing the file size so I can attach them.

The panel is really simple though.  It's flat with separate panels on each side formed to be against the chassis side tubes.  It doesn't completely seal the space, but it does greatly reduce the air going under the car - which is always positive.

Tim

timcking

Post by timcking » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:23 pm

I've attached the pictures.

Tim
Attachments
Radiator exit panel - RH_3_1_1.JPG
Radiator exit panel - LH_1_1_1.JPG

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Nice tim  :tu: 

dp35

Post by dp35 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:16 pm

I didn't understand your description very well, but based on the photos, I believe what you've done is the same thing I did.  Looks very nice. I did it with a piece of black plastic. I also have my Accusump located here. I think I posted photos here, but can't find them with my phone.

timcking

Post by timcking » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:00 pm

FYI ... the screws along the back attach the panel to an aluminum angle to keep the panel from bending with the pressure.

Tim