Can I register an Atom in New York? Can't find the answer anywhere...

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
atomathics

Re: Can I register an Atom in New York? Can't find the answer anywhere...

Post by atomathics » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:48 pm

[quote="kaneda"]
I'm from Westchester, Bronxville in fact.  Maybe we can have a Shelby/Atom meet up and you can blow the doors off the Ford :)   The one issue I'm having with getting an Atom is cost.  I just can't justify 60 grand for what is essentially a go kart.  In Europe, the cars sell for much cheaper.  And if there was mass production on these things, they'd be closer to 30k.   What to do...
[/quote]

Silver is right, you can definitely find something used that will help you a bit on the cash issues.  Once you realize what you're buying is the performance and design (and not necessarily doors & windows!) the Atom makes a lot more sense.  It is the essence of motoring in a road car; there's nothing that really compares.

If you haven't driven one, or been a passenger in one, that might sway you in terms of justification!  It usually does the trick for most people here!

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:25 pm

[quote="kaneda"]
I'm from Westchester, Bronxville in fact.  Maybe we can have a Shelby/Atom meet up and you can blow the doors off the Ford :)   The one issue I'm having with getting an Atom is cost.  I just can't justify 60 grand for what is essentially a go kart.  In Europe, the cars sell for much cheaper.  And if there was mass production on these things, they'd be closer to 30k.   What to do...

[/quote]

I agree with you that 60 grand is not cheap for the Atom, on the surface.

But in actuality it turned into the absolute cheapest car I ever had. My company agreed to buy it for me in lieu of compensation as a sponsored race car/ advertising billboard. Admittedly I quickly cast off the cheasy company stickers but the IRS never caught me ;D

Insurance was only $300 a year and tires last a long time because of the light weight. And best of all resale is great - a lot better then any production car.

The reason I sold my atom was I was getting into motorbikes and I received a good offer.  Also being the center of attention gets old after a while.

However no other car is even close to as fun including the porsches, lotuses, etc that I owned before. The only thing that compares are motorcycles which I love but are horribly dangerous compared to the Atom.

If handled correctly the Atom will be a very cheap car to own. I think in the end I actually made money on mine.

If the Atom was a production car you would lose 50% on resale after a year or two at the very least.

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:59 pm

[quote="slowcharles"]
The only thing that compares are motorcycles which I love but are horribly dangerous compared to the Atom.

[/quote]

And if you come to serious piece of windy road then even a motorcycle struggles to be on par with the Atom.

Cmacc29

Post by Cmacc29 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:26 pm

So..its 2015..anyone get one of these registered in NY recently?  I saw a few dune buggy's around town but idk when they registered them or how.

GTED

Post by GTED » Thu May 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Try calling Sector 111 and ask for Shinoo, CEO.  Sector111.com  He is a dealer for Atom and BAC Mono in California, but has done cars to outside of Ca, including NY, I believe. 

If you want to register an Atom for street use, it is much easier to do a new one and get the build all properly documented.  Buying an out of state used one and try to bring it into another state like NY, is much more complicated.  It's been done from what I've seen, but it is also very much contingent upon the original owner's documentation on the build as well. 

Buying a new one from Shinoo is truly a turn-key experience.

Good luck.

GTED

Cmacc29

Post by Cmacc29 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:13 am

Thanks a lot gted!  I will definitely be calling him soon to inquire about this.  I really dont see the big deal honestly..if a street bike can be considered legal then this should have zero issues.

84_250tr

Post by 84_250tr » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:14 pm

I am new to the forum and just bought an atom 2. Nice to meet all of you!

The car I bought is currently located in Colorado and has Montana plates through LLC (title is in LLC name).

I will keep the car in Westchester NY. Has anyonehad luck registering one for road use in the last few years in NY? If so, can you describe the process? Thank you!