Can I register an Atom in New York? Can't find the answer anywhere...

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
kaneda

Can I register an Atom in New York? Can't find the answer anywhere...

Post by kaneda » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:24 am

Hey Atom Community,

My name is Chris and I live in New York City.  I work in advertising and currently own a 2010 Ford Shelby GT500.  The car is amazing, especially for the money.  But I've always been a fan of small, light weight roadsters.  While I'll still keep the Shelby as a daily driver, I wanted to add an Atom to the mix.  Does anyone know if registering one in New York is difficult? Does anyone on this board know of anyone in NY with one?  Would love to pick their brain about how the process works. 

Also, how much does an Atom 3 actually cost? I'm sure there are a ton of unnecessary options for the car, but with the performance already being so great, I don't see the need to tack on a ton of extras.  Thanks guys.  Hopefully I can join the family soon.

Chris

Gage

Re: Can I register an Atom in New York? Can't find the answer anywhere...

Post by Gage » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:08 am

Where there is a will there is most certainly a way.  If he doesn't chime in here, look for the the member here named Terry Kennedy.  He might have a tip or two.

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:17 am

Hey Chris,

Welcome to the AAOC forum.

For new pricing, specs, etc. for an Atom you should talk to the US dealer TMI - http://www.arielatom.com/

Otherwise secondhand vehicles do appear on e-bay from time to time. There is also a For Sale section on this forum.

This is Terry's blog - http://www.atomacrossamerica.org/  There is a small link to contact information on the site.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:31 am

Morning Chris

There is a club members only section of this site where registration is discussed but I believe you have to prequalify with a number of posts first?

Which agency?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

Richard Marler
Administrator

Post by Richard Marler » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:27 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I believe you have to prequalify with a number of posts first?
[/quote]

There is no minimum number of post required before becoming a member?
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:54 am

[quote="kaneda"]
Does anyone know if registering one in New York is difficult? Does anyone on this board know of anyone in NY with one?  Would love to pick their brain about how the process works. 
[/quote]

Your best bet is to ask TMI if they know of anyone who registered in NY recently - all of us oldies registered around 5 years ago. There was a user here with 2 different usernames (at different times) - cshama / slowcharles who registered in NY twice. Again, that was a long time ago.

kaneda

Post by kaneda » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks guys.  I'll see if I can connect with Terry.  I work at JWT Advertising in NYC.  NYC is probably the WORST place for a car enthusiast to live.  But I'd rather spend my money on things that bring true enjoyment than pay $15 for mixed drinks . 

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Getting an atom registered in NY was no problem for me. I may end up doing it again as I am considering getting a third atom soon.

PM me if you need more info.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:48 pm

[quote="slowcharles"]
Getting an atom registered in NY was no problem for me. I may end up doing it again as I am considering getting a third atom soon.

PM me if you need more info.
[/quote]

Good for you Charles.  :tu: I guess they are hard to get out of youer system.  ;D Hopefully your third one will be the more refined 3.

kaneda

Post by kaneda » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Hey Charles,

Any interest in selling one?  Wold be easiest to buy an existing NY registered car... Let me know!

CK

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:36 pm

I haven't got an atom now- I had a couple in the past, which I registered in NY.

If and when I get a new one I will let you know how registration goes.

Btw the car will be a big change from the mustang, in a good way  ;D  There is is seriously nothing that feels as fast, including most motorcycles.

kaneda

Post by kaneda » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Charles,

Where in NY do you live?  Would definitely be interested in learning the process from someone that has done it twice.  The atom really has no comparison...it's a grown up go-kart.  I'm 34 and my girlfriend just moved out...time to move an Atom in...:)  I live in NYC....

CK

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:53 am

[quote="kaneda"]
Charles,

Where in NY do you live?  Would definitely be interested in learning the process from someone that has done it twice.  The atom really has no comparison...it's a grown up go-kart.  I'm 34 and my girlfriend just moved out...time to move an Atom in...:)  I live in NYC....

CK
[/quote]

In Westchester. The process is as simple as going to the DMV and getting registered- just get your insurance sorted out first. The guys at the Manhattan DMV are pretty spaced out- I told them my Atom was a modified convertible Chevy and they were quite happy. Also during 2 years of ownership I was not stopped once by the fuzz in NY- not once. They have no interest and I believe no jurisdiction to cause you problems.

kaneda

Post by kaneda » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm from Westchester, Bronxville in fact.  Maybe we can have a Shelby/Atom meet up and you can blow the doors off the Ford :)  The one issue I'm having with getting an Atom is cost.  I just can't justify 60 grand for what is essentially a go kart.  In Europe, the cars sell for much cheaper.  And if there was mass production on these things, they'd be closer to 30k.  What to do...

silver

Post by silver » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:59 pm

[quote="kaneda"]
I'm from Westchester, Bronxville in fact.  Maybe we can have a Shelby/Atom meet up and you can blow the doors off the Ford :)   The one issue I'm having with getting an Atom is cost.  I just can't justify 60 grand for what is essentially a go kart.  In Europe, the cars sell for much cheaper.  And if there was mass production on these things, they'd be closer to 30k.   What to do...
[/quote]

In Europe it may look like they cost less but not so much after you convert to US dollHairs.

if you want a cheap one, go used, there are usually several available and at a significantly discounted rate from new