How Much Does it Cost?

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
swaltner

How Much Does it Cost?

Post by swaltner » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:28 am

The weather is warming up, so the delays between getting the Atom out on the road are getting shorter and shorter. As others have stated, the reaction to the Atom on the street is pretty popular. Lots of cell phones, hoots, rubber necks, and every other permutation every time it's out. When I drive it to work, I don't get a lot done on those days. They tend to be pretty short days with me taking extended lunch breaks, my day getting interrupted with giving rides around the "block" with a quick trip on the highway, and ducking out of work a little early to enjoy the ride home (before it cools off too much, since it is still Winter). With last night being the daylight savings change, this will give that much more sunlight (and warmth) after work.

The one shocker I have is how many people ask "How much did it cost?" I even got asked this by the pastor at church. ??? I would guess that 80-90% of people ask how much it costs. I've even had that yelled at me at a stop light. Strange... I've gotten to where I respond "More than a Mustang, Less than a Corvette." How do others respond to that?

Previously someone had posted here a cartoon they made of "every conversation" when someone first sees the Atom with the answer of "Didn't your mamma teach you any manners?" to that question. I searched for this video, but couldn't find it. Does anyone remember that thread?

I've got my 2008 Big Dog Mastiff listed on eBay right now. Hopefully, I'll get that sold within the next several weeks, so I'll have space to move the Atom to my own garage before it gets much warmer. Looking forward to my first summer of Atom ownership...

Karl

Re: How Much Does it Cost?

Post by Karl » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:22 am

My best response so far to the "how much does it cost?" question is "it's Porsche money". Given the huge price range on Porsches, it doesn't really price the car at all, but people get the idea that it's something you buy as a second car.

vijen6

Post by vijen6 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:08 am

Cool answer .. definitely doesnt narrow it down much though since someone I know just got a super clean used Boxster for 11 grand!

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:53 am

I just tell em, don't know what the big deal is...
Cheers, Hedge

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:58 pm

After hundreds of questions, only a few have ever asked me "How much".     I usually say, "All my lunch money since high school. "   That gets a grin.

The number one question to me is (in a red neck accent):  "How fast does that there thing go?"   I say, "Not very fast, but it sure can get there really quick."    
Last edited by Gage on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trigger

Post by Trigger » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Depends who asks. Kids ask occasionally and they get 'more than your pocket money' type of answer. Spurious bystanders get 50k. Prospective buyers at trackdays like Saturday get accurate figures.

Sometimes though they get told to mind their own business !! Depends on my mood too !

T
Atom 4, Mclaren 720s, Audi Rs4, VW ID3.....

wattie

Post by wattie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Since the intro of the 500 I'm gonna tell anyone that asks from now on GBP150,000.....they'll never know the difference......and watch the shocked look on their faces  ;D

Cheers Wattie ;D

Jimmer210

Post by Jimmer210 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:38 pm

I like it!!! Just get yourself some gold wheels and you are away!
Same question over here.... Responses, again, vary on person and mood. Normally just 'enough'...... That tends to do the trick!

Dawsey7

Post by Dawsey7 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Usually I say, 'from only £250 a day!!'  ;D

Dawsey