garage lift

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
SpatialThreat

Re: garage lift

Post by SpatialThreat » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:57 pm

[quote="DC Ranger"]
I personally like the idea of a 4 post that I can put casters on, especially if you were planning on installing it in your garage. A 4 post does take up a lot of space so being able to wheel it out of the way sometime would make dealing with all of the crap in my garage easier.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-p ... D-9ST.aspx

[/quote]

Welcome!

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:17 pm

I have two 4 post lifts and a set of casters so I can move them around from time to time. Very handy, but a word of caution. When a 4 post lift is not bolted down, it can easily distort as the lift descends. Only a slight amount of uneven weight distribution or resistance can make one end or one corner hang up. This is because the lifts are cable operated and when one leg hangs a little, the others will continue to descend. If this is not attended, the lift can distort, not being bolted down. This can ultimately result in the entire lift racking to one side and flipping over.

I have observed the binding and seen the lift distort  enough to elevate one corner off the floor. This is easily overcome by raising the lift, but don't be tempted to allow the lift to descend unattended. I still have both of my lifts, use them all the time and move them around from time to time as the ned dictates (moving one outside to facilitate undercarriage pressure washing of my off-roader was great!)

"Be careful out there"

simonrex55

Post by simonrex55 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:19 pm

that's a cool one

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
There's this option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En1-lEOmcjU
[/quote]

Dbwy

Post by Dbwy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Spider, did you ever get a lift? if so, which one?
David, what is the model of your bendpak lift? I want the same one, but I want to be sure I don't have any ground clearance problems.

md500e

Post by md500e » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:33 pm

This was my solution after countless hours of searching for a lift that did not eat up my floor space. 
Attachments
lift11.jpg
lift111.jpg

Dbwy

Post by Dbwy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:57 am

I looked on the Mohawk website, can't seem to find that lift. What's the model?

md500e

Post by md500e » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:21 pm

The lift was completely custom built. I used a Mohawk system 1 lift columns just as a starting point. (Mohawk does not make anything like it) It took me over 3 months to design and build but I am extremely pleased with the results. I have 8' of clear space from the floor to the bottom of the platform when fully raised and the two columns only take up a few inches of floor space. The design was inspired by the "lift-gate" type lifts on the back of the stacker race trailers. 

Monza

Post by Monza » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:43 pm

very nice !  :tu:
i just hope the wall is strong enougt  ;D
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Dbwy

Post by Dbwy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:26 pm

Well that explains my hour of searching with no results. I saw a similar lift on the back of a NASCAR trailer. That design is perfect for what i need, but i don't think I have the ability to make it happen...

Dbwy

Post by Dbwy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:56 pm

Unless you want to give me the info  ;D

md500e

Post by md500e » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 am

I was going to simply buy one of the lifts like you saw on the back of the NASCAR trailer and bolt it to my garage wall until I found out they cost somewhere around 50K and I would need to cut 2 holes through the roof! The two lift rods that raise the platform, end up about 21-22 feet up in the air when raised.  I am happy to give you more info if you are interested.  Just PM me. 
Attachments
lift1.jpg

Dbwy

Post by Dbwy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:33 am

Yes, very interested! PM sent...

Flying Phil

Post by Flying Phil » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Great looking lift! I assume that you could design it to open up the center to allow under car servicing. Patent it. Sell the rights!!