garage lift

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Lane

Re: garage lift

Post by Lane » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:40 am

[quote="spyder2114"]
I did consider a single post and it would probably be the best solution considering the limited space. The problem; my garage is only 9'6" and the shortest of these I've seen are right at 9'5".[/quote]

I believe that the Atlas single-post from Greg Smith is the lowest one one I've seen so far and it comes in at 9' 2 ¼".  Keep in mind that if you need a bit more, you can consider modifying the ceiling where the post comes close.  Heck, this guy did it for the car.

Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

spyder2114

Post by spyder2114 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:45 am

Check this out: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Produ ... =TechSpecs

With this option I can probably get a two post lift that would be less expensive and more versatile in the end. I can park the three wheeler here as well since the platforms run side to side.
Question is: Can it be used on a different lift, than the one shown, so you can get the 92.3" needed for the WB for the Atom. If maxed out length wise what it the load capacity?

Just something else to consider.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:43 am

I have the BendPak lifts - (2) 4-post lifts and (1) 2 post asymetrical. The Atoms will not work on my 4 post units due to the low ground clearance. Even with the extra long ramps, they are simply too low.
I use the 2 post lift for maintenance and for storage from time to time with good results.

spyder2114

Post by spyder2114 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:40 am

[quote="Lane"]
I believe that the Atlas single-post from Greg Smith is the lowest one one I've seen so far and it comes in at 9' 2 ¼".  Keep in mind that if you need a bit more, you can consider modifying the ceiling where the post comes close.  Heck, this guy did it for the car.
[/quote]

I talked to the owner Richard Hinrichs (very nice guy) at Garage Toys (www.garage-toys.com) about the single post lifts he offers. The "import" 6k lb. model is about $3,200 shipped to FL. and is only 96" (8') high. The specs say different but even at 102 3/8" is only 8.5 feet which will easily fit in my 9'6" garage.

Decisions decisions....  ???

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:23 am

[quote="spyder2114"]
I talked to the owner Richard Hinrichs (very nice guy) at Garage Toys (www.garage-toys.com) about the single post lifts he offers. The "import" 6k lb. model is about $3,200 shipped to FL. and is only 96" (8') high. The specs say different but even at 102 3/8" is only 8.5 feet which will easily fit in my 9'6" garage.
[/quote]

Atlanta is probably too far away to make picking up at a Greg Smith location practical for you, but one thing to consider is that Greg Smith will move an item between their locations for free if it isn't in stock at the one you want to pick up at. Very handy if there's a location near you.

One thing to be VERY careful about with 1-post (and to a lesser degree, 2-post) lifts is the condition of the concrete floor it is being mounted to. That includes: thickness, any re-bar or mesh, type of concrete (PSI strength), and any defects such as spalling or cracks. Even if you have a floor that meets the requirements, you need to follow the anchor instructions EXACTLY. Two common problems are the thickness of the floor varying, and hitting re-bar when drilling for an anchor. Unless the instructions say you can omit an anchor, you've got big problems as you need to re-position the post - but you can't have any unused holes within a certain distance. I've bailed out a friend who hit re-bar - I drilled through it for him. Otherwise he would have had to re-position the lift by 18" and he didn't have enough clearance to do that.

I'd be all set as my garage is 12" to 18" of 10K PSI concrete - a single 24' x 27' slab which has no cracks since it was poured 16+ years ago. The concrete used was excess from a runway job at a major airport nearby - one of the neat things with concrete is that you can get small amounts of the fancy stuff for no extra charge if you're willing to take it on 4 hours notice within a 7-day window.

spyder2114

Post by spyder2114 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:42 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
One thing to be VERY careful about with 1-post (and to a lesser degree, 2-post) lifts is the condition of the concrete floor it is being mounted to. That includes: thickness, any re-bar or mesh, type of concrete (PSI strength), and any defects such as spalling or cracks. [/quote]

Thanks Terry.
I did call Greg Smith as well and was very pleased with the sales rep and info. It looks like shipping is only going to be in the $250-550 depending on warehouse location and weight.
My main concern at this point is the strength and integrity of the concrete floor. I will have it checked before I make the final decision on type of lift.

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:54 am

Randy –

That's one awesome picture!  Nothing like an Atom 2-pack in the garage!

spyder...

One thing to ask about is power.  Some lifts can work on 110V or 220V.  I've been told by one manufacturer that their lifts run faster on 220V.  And they also told me that they generate less internal heat on 220 (meaning a longer life for the motor).

Might be worth asking your vendor about this before you order.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]

One thing to be VERY careful about with 1-post (and to a lesser degree, 2-post) lifts is the condition of the concrete floor it is being mounted to. That includes: thickness, any re-bar or mesh, type of concrete (PSI strength), and any defects such as spalling or cracks. Even if you have a floor that meets the requirements, you need to follow the anchor instructions EXACTLY. Two common problems are the thickness of the floor varying, and hitting re-bar when drilling for an anchor. Unless the instructions say you can omit an anchor, you've got big problems as you need to re-position the post - but you can't have any unused holes within a certain distance. I've bailed out a friend who hit re-bar - I drilled through it for him. Otherwise he would have had to re-position the lift by 18" and he didn't have enough clearance to do that.

I'd be all set as my garage is 12" to 18" of 10K PSI concrete - a single 24' x 27' slab which has no cracks since it was poured 16+ years ago. The concrete used was excess from a runway job at a major airport nearby - one of the neat things with concrete is that you can get small amounts of the fancy stuff for no extra charge if you're willing to take it on 4 hours notice within a 7-day window.
[/quote]

I really wanted a two post lift but decided my garage floor was unlikely to be up to the job, as you say the mounting spec is very precise.  In the end as my main aim was under vehicle access for repairs / restoration I got a free standing scissor lift, will post pics over the holiday next week

Ben

Monza

Post by Monza » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:13 pm

i can imagine that adding a 20 mm metallic plate of about 1.5 m length between the column base and concrete floor will help.
Metallic plate itself can be fixed to concrete and column fixings can go through it. Eventualy a diagonal arm going to the column from this metallic plate can help to.
The most important to my opinion will be the good position of the Atom on it for a 50/50 weight repartition on the arms.
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

spyder2114

Post by spyder2114 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:23 am

OK I decided to go with a 4 post lift and narrowed down to a couple that will fit nicely in my garage.

I'd like to get a few measurements of the Atom that I have been unable to locate on the forum, if one fo you would be so kind. I am trying to figure out if I need to modify (raise) my garage door for clearance. I know the overall height at the highest point is 3'11" (4' to be safe).

What are the measurements at:
Height to the top of the Aero Screens
Distance from front of car to top of Aero Screens
Distance from front of car to top of intake (highest point) or from previous measure of the aero screen ( I can usually add without much error)
Height of the tallest point within the first 3 feet of the front (top of front fender or boot?)

That should do it for now and thanks in advance.

spyder2114

Post by spyder2114 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:51 am

Decided to have the garage door lifted today. Got it within 5"of the ceiling and also relocated the opener one panel over. I now have 8'10" of clearance with the door open (gained 20").

Now just need to get the lift...then the Atom.

DSL

Post by DSL » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:03 pm

Hello,

I have two bend pak 4 posts lifts in a three car garage. They are american made and excellent quality, and priced right. If you are interested I will be happy to give you more details. BTW, I am down to the inch in height and width, and I still fit the two lifts side by side in the two car garage, the third garage is separated by a wall.

FutureAtom

Post by FutureAtom » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:16 am

[quote="david42581"]
Hello,

I have two bend pak 4 posts lifts in a three car garage. They are american made and excellent quality, and priced right. If you are interested I will be happy to give you more details. BTW, I am down to the inch in height and width, and I still fit the two lifts side by side in the two car garage, the third garage is separated by a wall.
[/quote]

David, 1965cobra posted above that he had ground clearance problem with the bendpak 4 post lift, I was wondering if you also have any ground clearance problem with your bend pak 4 post lift?

DSL

Post by DSL » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:25 am

No, none at all, I guess it depends on all of the clearances that are involved.

DC Ranger

Post by DC Ranger » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:56 pm

I personally like the idea of a 4 post that I can put casters on, especially if you were planning on installing it in your garage. A 4 post does take up a lot of space so being able to wheel it out of the way sometime would make dealing with all of the crap in my garage easier.

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/four-p ... D-9ST.aspx