Nutters coming to LA

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
John H

Nutters coming to LA

Post by John H » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:15 am

Morning chaps,
next April, Hedge and I are doing this
http://www.circuit-days.co.uk/california_run.asp#col2
8 days on probably some of the best roads in California....though I'm sure that may provoke debate.
Anyway, we are doing it.
I am then staying on for a week with the missus and am hoping that some of you guys will be able to take me to Laguna Seca in an Atom (Pete!!).
I'd also be interested in renting a race car or track car for the day if that is possible!!!!!
Is it?
Look for ward to meeting some of u when I am over.
Dates are April 9th til the 23rd, tho I will be busy for the 1st week
cheers

Richard Marler
Administrator

Re: Nutters coming to LA

Post by Richard Marler » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:31 am

Not sure if it will matter to you, but if it were me, I would want to be very clear with Circuit Days which Mustang you are renting. The Mustang I rented when I was over there for AFII, was the worst car bar none I have ever driven. I was told it was because I was given a gutless version, but either way it was very poor.

Apart from that, it sounds like a really great trip.

Update: Just seen you can upgrade to a Chevrolet Camaro SS, you would want to hear some advice from our American friends, but I bet that would be worth the extra cost.
Last edited by Richard Marler on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 am

I couldn't possibly comment... but...

On this one you get to drive a stang and a vette

http://www.petrolheadnirvana.com/tours/ ... a_tour.php

Nice relaxing video on that page, too...

In the interests of fairness, this is the trip that Hedgilton are doing...
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:41 am

Looks like a fun trip. Not a bad route actually.
No idea how on the 15th you can go from San Fran to LA via Yosemite AND down the coastal route in one day though?? I'm sure that is a slight oversight. It could be done in a day but we are talking a VERY long day to do that.

Most track day run schedules wont be finalized until January of 2011. Most tracks have "test" days which are more flexible. I am sure you can get a day in if you like. There are several "race" care rental opportunities. I know where you can get a full day in 2004 Atlantic car (175miles) for about $5k. Sounds expensive, but it's not for what you get. There are cheaper rental options also. Worst case is you can always use the rental car:)

I'm sure we could organize something with Atoms too. If there is a track day at LS, I am sure we could go for it.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:53 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
No idea how on the 15th you can go from San Fran to LA via Yosemite AND down the coastal route in one day though?? I'm sure that is a slight oversight. It could be done in a day but we are talking a VERY long day to do that.[/quote]

Agreed. There's an inconsistency between the map at the top and the route description. It looks like they're taking this route from Las Vegas to San Francisco: Google Maps link. That's 600 miles and doesn't leave any time for sightseeing, other than taking pictures as you pass by in a blur.

People going on this trip might be interested in looking at my Atom Across America blog, as I'm doing pretty much the same trip in the reverse direction. I'm in Death Valley right now, as a matter of fact.

When it gets closer to the event, let's revive this topic and the natives will post some of the good out-of-the-way places for you to visit.

P.S. - despite what the Circuit Days web site says, we don't all drink Miller beer - even where I am in Death Valley there are 5 microbrews on tap and many others in bottles.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:12 pm

I'd definitely go with the Camaro SS, something like 425+ hp (stay away from the LT, it's a V6). I  also think Richards 'Stang was a V6 (sounded like it when it was running) thus the gutlessness of it. Short of a higher end model you get what the rental company has on hand (lots of econo boxes) if you don't get specific with them. The new Shelby is what I'd be asking for if a Stang is what you want to rent. Odds are to even get a V8 anything you'll  have to search among different rental companies.

You guys of course could just wait for Peter to recover a little and start on WCA III... :)

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:00 am

[quote="John H"]
Morning chaps,
8 days on probably some of the best roads in California....though I'm sure that may provoke debate.
Anyway, we are doing it.
[/quote]

Ooof, that's kinda expensive... Just a question, any reason you wouldn't book a car yourself and do something less organized?  There are places in Los Angeles where you can rent a more interesting car than a Mustang or Camaro.  Do the same route (or something else entirely – I'd offer a few suggestions if you're interested).  Then pick your own hotels.  Most of the ones they have are good (Fairmont in SF particularly, but the Radisson at LAX?  No... don't stay at LAX unless you have a 4am flight to catch.)  Unless you're interested in staying with their group, it seems like you could have a good time on your own.

If driving something interesting is what you're up for, you could add something like this (but welcome to the spendy):
http://worldclassdriving.com/

Whatever you do, though, if you haven't been to the western US, you're in for a great treat.

John H

Post by John H » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 am

[quote="atomathics"]
[quote="John H"]
Morning chaps,
Anyway, we are doing it.
[/quote]

Ooof, that's kinda expensive... Just a question, any reason you wouldn't book a car yourself and do something less organized?  [/quote]
1 can't be arsed and
2 loads of mates going on it.
I may well get the Camaro too as 210 BHP in a car the size of a house is crap eh?

atomathics

Post by atomathics » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:46 pm

[quote="John H"]
2 loads of mates going on it.
[/quote]

Well, yeah, that's a good reason. <g>

If you're going to do it, don't waste time with the V6.  At least you'll enjoy a (relative) break on fuel prices while you're here.  Figure 125 gallons for the V8 at US$3.40 per and you're looking at about $400-$450 for fuel...

Anyway, I'm sure there are folks that would be happy to say hello when you're in California!
Last edited by atomathics on Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:38 pm

[quote="Richard Marler"]
Not sure if it will matter to you, but if it were me, I would want to be very clear with Circuit Days which Mustang you are renting. The Mustang I rented when I was over there for AFII, was the worst car bar none I have ever driven. I was told it was because I was given a gutless version, but either way it was very poor.

Apart from that, it sounds like a really great trip.

Update: Just seen you can upgrade to a Chevrolet Camaro SS, you would want to hear some advice from our American friends, but I bet that would be worth the extra cost.
[/quote]

To confirm the standard rental spec Mustang is a pile of jobbies.  Hertz do the Shelby rent a racer Mustang which should not be too bad.

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
To confirm the standard rental spec Mustang is a pile of jobbies.  Hertz do the Shelby rent a racer Mustang which should not be too bad.
Ben
[/quote]

Double confirmed. It's rubbish!

Mind you, it's better than the Sebring they tried to fob me off with...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

positron

Post by positron » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm pretty sure that this is by design to keep people from doing what your trying to do.

That and it's a novel thing for the out of town mini van people to drive something different.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:07 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="benyeats"]
Ben
[/quote]

Double confirmed. It's rubbish!

Mind you, it's better than the Sebring they tried to fob me off with...
[/quote]

Not 100% sure I agree with you on this.  The Mustang looks better but the Sebring is a nicer place to be (like saying Cancer is better than Aids in this case), the end result being after being given one with the promise of a Mustang available the next day I did not bother to go back as they were so much of a muchness.

Ben

p.s. So this does not sound like Yank bashing we should consider what you might get if you order a convertable from a UK outlet, I can't think of what it would be but can't imagine it would be pretty.

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:10 am

Ahhh... rentals.. where 4 cylinders rule, the occasional V6 is considered a Hot Rod, and V8's are saved for rental trucks. :(

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:27 am

[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]
Wait a minute. Last year Ben loved his Mustang rental in Socal ;)

[quote="atomathics"]
Anyway, I'm sure there are folks that would be happy to say hello when you're in California!
[/quote]
Yes, of course, even take you in the Atom around the LBGP public streets!

fiesty