How does the TMI atom compare to the Brammo Atom

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
slowcharles

How does the TMI atom compare to the Brammo Atom

Post by slowcharles » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 pm

I am thinking about buying a TMI Atom - the base $50k model- does anyone know how it compares to the Brammo Atom? Has anyone owned or driven both and has a valid opinion?
Last edited by slowcharles on Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apollyon25

Re: How does the TMI atom compare to the Brammo Atom

Post by apollyon25 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:52 pm

Well a "valid" opinion would be that the TMI Atom 3 is damn near identical to the UK Atom 3.

And I love mine.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:05 pm

[quote="slowcharles"]
I am thinking about buying a TMI Atom - the base $50k model- does anyone know how it compares to the Brammo Atom? Has anyone owned or driven both and has a valid opinion?
[/quote]

Have you already asked TMI how they like that base model engine?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:13 pm

PS I did find out that the TMI honda's do come with OBDII ports whereas the Brammo Hondas I beleive did not so that's good news for registration

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:00 pm

The brammo Atom2 will kick it's silly butt! ;)     I would say the quality control is MUCH better on the TMI cars,and they are much more in line with the UK model. Overall,better,worse..not the words I would use.  Different,surely,but not dramatic. Hopefully,this May,there will be two Atom3's at Monticello (http://www.comscc.org/events/ for event schedule) for me to dice with on track with my lowly brammo Atom2  .If you're in the neighborhood,stop by. Guests are always welcome,and COM even has a ride along program  :tu:
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 pm

TMI didn't or wasn't able to keep some of the better Brammo improvements to the Atom, such as the ball joint in the lower front control arm (rather than a rod end in bending... euuugh). On the other hand, the frame has changes in the back that make it appear wider, the seats sit lower, the brake lights don't come on unless you brake hard and it's got the much-maligned UK headlights. Basically, the Atom 3 is pretty much the same as its predecessor, just with a new set of challenges. A bunch of the experiences I've read on the forum seem to indicate that it "feels more sorted" than the Atom 2, but as we all know, alignment settings can make a world of difference (and the Brammo Atoms were aligned to crap).

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Did Brammo Atoms have engine mounts? Because the Atom 3 does. To me that is a major change that will show up between the two models over time.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:10 pm

yes it had engine mounts, but I'm scratching my head for how you'd install the engine without a mount....is the mount part of the frame?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 pm

brammos have engine mounts,in rubber.The Ecotec is very smooth;can't fault them there. If brammo had kept up with the development I'm sure things would have been fine.Unfortunately,Craigs thoughts were elsewhere,and the Atom suffered. That's ok, I like orphaned cars.. ;)  Some day I may buy a 3,but just to have one,and not because the 2 has any shortcomings.
Some cars mount the engines rigid,like some bikes.You will feel vibrations...

Karl

Post by Karl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:15 pm

Brammo Hondas did not get rubber mounts. While it's a neat experience from a driving standpoint (you feel like you're sitting on the motor), it has caused a problem for me - the cantilevered rear taillight stalks have cracked their welds.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:18 pm

I think Mad's smoking something the ecotec engine mounts aren't rubber either.

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 pm

[quote="silver"]
yes it had engine mounts, but I'm scratching my head for how you'd install the engine without a mount....is the mount part of the frame?
[/quote]

By engine mounts I mean a mount containing a rubberised portion that fits between the frame and engine. Atom 3 cars have these. UK Atom 2 & 1 cars have rigid steel brackets between frame and engine or mounts that offer little vibration absorption.
Last edited by wisp on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Oh well the brammo mounts are solid as well but the ecotec is a balanced motor which doesn't vibrate the chassis like UK atom 1 or 2.

According to people that have had both they say the Atom 3 Honda is much like the Ecotec Atom 2 for vibration purposes.....non-existant.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Ecotec brammo engine mounts are very well built and do a nice job of isolating engine vibes..they are indeed rubber cushed at all 3 mounting points.Shame on you Silver for not knowing that!

:D

Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:33 am

All UK Atom 2's have rubber bushings on all engine mounts also. They just don't work the same as a proper rubber engine mount assembly.