Atom 245 factory tuning vs Trifecta's optimization

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
GNU

Atom 245 factory tuning vs Trifecta's optimization

Post by GNU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:20 am

I've just posted this information in another thread but I think that it deserves it's on thread  :wize:

Here are my results from tuning my stock "245hp" Atom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34716910@N03/4190668901/

Turns out the factory calibration is really out of whack on these cars (or just mine). The major issues can be seen in the mid range.
Another thing that became painfully obvious was that it was running super rich. The richness in itself was not a suprise to me since I've read about it on this forum. The effects of it on the other hand was! Look at the exhaust puffs coming out of the muffler and listen to the sound of the engine in the video I recorded when Vince was running the baseline test. I'm told that it's a direct result from fuel passing straight through the engine uncombusted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXhE0ry80dE&feature=youtube_gdata

Here are the final results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34716910@N03/4190665333/

Blue lines are representing the "before" values. Lines in red are showing the result of the modified  tune.
Lower part of the report shows you the fuel mixture values, before and after. Below the dotted lines indicates too rich. Look close at the blue line  :doh:

Not only did Vince help me smoth out the powerband and find 10 more horsepowers. I also permanently got rid of the pogostick effect and the error codes from the fuel pump and the missing check engine light!

Thanks Norm forrecomending Trifecta and Drift Office. That was money well spent!!

NormLarson

Re: Atom 245 factory tuning vs Trifecta's optimization

Post by NormLarson » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:39 am

Glad it worked out for you!  I was expecting the car to be rich, all Brammo tunes were, but, yours was amazingly rich!  How was the tuned car driving in the pouring rain going home?  vs. pouring rain and Brammo tune?

GNU

Post by GNU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:07 am

It felt just as cold and wet with the new configuration :p

Jokes asides I think that it feels much smoother and more responsive when going from 1st to 2nd and it's not as unhappy as it was before when I went from 0 throttle in general.

I really haven't been able to open it up yet due to rain but will take it to the new parking garage at work if the weather doesn't sort itself out before the weekend. (it holds 5000 cars and is lit, warm and empty on weekends :))

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:41 am

That garage!!  We bid on that project and didn't get it.  What a big garage!

GNU

Post by GNU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:30 pm

Norm, I'm sorry to hear that. I bet the horrible speed bump in the entrance would have been much nicer to Atoms if you had won it ;)

McFred

Post by McFred » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:53 pm

It's nice to finally see an ecotec running right; thanks for sharing your results!  What are the corrected numbers (SAE)?  What was used for tuning, that hptuners software?  I'd bet there are a bunch of other owners who'd like to compare notes.  That tuning should make quite a difference once it stops raining....  :)

silver

Post by silver » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:20 pm

I still have my own personal doubts that the heatsoak will still set in and drop those numbers by 30-50whp as soon as it's above 50 outside and you run it hard for just a few minutes...........................But Wuddu I KNOW

GNU

Post by GNU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Silver,
Time will tell. I'm still convinced the bigger and more efficient heat exchanger I have will take care of some of it.
As I'm concerned I've a got an Atom with 300whp and will deal with potential heat soak when/if that happens. :pop:

McFred,
I think Norm said something about Vince using HPTuners.
I talked to Vince about sending him ECUs from other Atoms. Here's what he suggested:
We don’t have them send their ECU in, we send them equipment on a loaner basis to reprogram it in-vehicle.  Check out http://www.trifectaperformance.com/6Steps

Furthermore, we can “remote tune” the vehicle by having the owner drive it with our equipment hooked up to it and send the “data logs” back to us.  We can even “remote tune” it on a dyno.  We can book time out of our schedule to work with the customer to dial it in on a dyno wherever they are located.

We charge $300 + $35 shipping (or $20 shipping if they borrow the cable instead of the whole handheld device).  There is also a $200 refundable security deposit on the equipment we send to them.  Optionally, the customer can purchase the cable outright for $200 (shipping is only $10 in this case).

I wouldn’t say the dyno is critical – we can probably reach between 90% and 100% of the engine’s potential just by reviewing logs from it being driven on the street (which is what most of our customers do).

silver

Post by silver » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:43 pm

there have been several others running larger pulleys (less boost) with the upgraded heat exchanger and they experience the exact same heat soak, i'm only telling this so when it heat soaks, you know why....and don't waste your time trying to look for the wrong solution like air in the system or changing fluid or changing air intake blah blah blah......just don't want anybody else wasting time hunting down the culprit.  Brammo and several others tested your upgraded heat exchanger and proved 0 reduction in IAT2's under heatsoak.

what I mean by 0 reduction is that it still gets over 150-175 temps which means you'll be losing 30-65whp....or more.

if you run it all day long and your IAT2 stays below 120.......................YOU ARE GOOD.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Vince uses a program that he wrote to get into the ECU and set it up so that HP Tuners can see it.  He may be forgetting that part when he said that we don't have to mail ECU's to him.

GNU

Post by GNU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:55 pm

McFred,
I don't have the SAE corrected sheet. Bob from drift office will send me the soft copy. Maybe that will contain it.
Drift Office is located very close to see level (maybe 100ft above or so) so I don't expect it to be very different.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Actually, ... Land Surveyor here, ... drift is about elev 75 MSL (I have a GPS control point at the intersection)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Boy,those dyno lines sure are bumpy with the stock brammo tune. I have never had mine on a dyno..always seemed OK for me. Mines a "stock" 300 GM stage 3 tune,which I never sent back for the brammo "upgrade". It is a bit choppy down low,but pretty smooth,although people have said to me my car smokes on deceleration..not an oil blue smoke..more like unburnt fuel...hmm..maybe that is why my car sucks so much fuel on track. :D

Now I can't wait to get my new goodies on and a Trifecta tune. :drool:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:37 pm

Finally got around to comparing your dyno lines with mine.. man your car was really messed up!  Mine was choppy in the midrange and defintely down on power, but nothing like yours was. 

Here was my first attempt at dyno tuning our cars (a little over 2 years ago).  Same thing as yours really... choppy midrange, and only about 10hp over stock at redline.

[img width=800 height=600]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... tuners.jpg[/img]

GNU

Post by GNU » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks for sharing Darth!
The chart says flywheel power but based on my chart I'm guessing it's whp  ???

MadMax,
I didn't notice anything wrong with mine, other than the pogo stick tendencies and the fact that I have to fill it up twice in a track day :)