throttle sensitivity

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Heywood-Yablowme

Re: throttle sensitivity

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:14 pm

If you are handy with tools...buy a Harropp LSJ 1320 TVS supercharger (bolts right on)  a set of 60lb injectors and a tune from Trifecta and you will have about 300whp and a smooth powerband,for $2.5k spent. ;D  Upgrade the exhaust and you will be overthe 300hp mark.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Mark,

Are you up and running then?

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Not yet,Norm. Harrop in hand (waiting for the 2.95" pulley) with injectors and harness but I need to send my spare ecm to Trifecta and have them read the vin as I don't know the donor car vin.He can then send the ecm back for me to load. I am estimating hp by what I have seen others do.There is even more hp with the Harrop with some head work,cams,water/meth injection etc etc as you well know... ;) 

positron

Post by positron » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:47 pm

I gave up back when because of availability and couldn't get a straight answer about if the MAP sensor would clear the frame.

On the mail order tune, do they send you a logger to tune from your data or do they can it based on the sum of your parts?

Do you have line on cams?

[quote="pitts12driver"]
Well - after listening to all the input, I'm about to put my car on a flatbed to Temecula, and let Shinoo have at it.  Hopefully, 30 days and some money will result in something much more pleasant for the spring time.
[/quote]
p12d, please keep us posted on how goes it.  :tu:
Last edited by positron on Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:59 pm

Great thread going here.

I still have my stock "245" Atom tune in place on my Atom.  Definitely problematic in the low RPM ranges.

I'm currently trying to decide between Shinoo's solution and installing the Harrop.  The most intimidating part for the Harrop is fitment (there's one spot really close to the frame) and then getting a good tune in place.  If I can convince myself (probably can if I chat Norm up a bit), I might order a TVS and make that my "Winter Project". 

Arvid, we should meet sometime since you are pondering the same issue.

Another NW Atomite,

- Sagen

GNU

Post by GNU » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Sagen,

Indeed!

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:55 am

I am NW too!  The old Atom really turns the tires over easily in our current weather!

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:45 am

Norm, 

This is Dan. With one of the Yellow Atoms.  I know what you mean about the rear end being ... lively this time of year.  Doesn't help when the engine gets more power with these freezing temps. 

And it happens that I live within a few blocks of Arvid.

As it happens I already have a spare ECU and 60 lb injectors.  I have delayed installing them though since I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for the tune.  Sounds like I have a couple of leads now.

In the mean time, I just got my fuel gasket from TMI which should keep me distracted after Christmas.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:59 am

Speaking of Christmas, ... I need to get out there and shop for myself...  I need to get a spare head and get it ported. >:D
Last edited by NormLarson on Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

GNU

Post by GNU » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:38 am

Dan,
Ah, So you're the Redmond Atom owner of whom Rob spoke!?

We should get together as soon as the weather becomes more Atom friendly. Or are you by any chance planning to visit the motorcycle show in Seattle tomorrow?  I'll try to be there by noon.

Btw, I'll let Vince have a go with Atom on Tuesday. You guys are more then welcome to join me if you can take the day of. We'll be doing the tune up in Auburn (Norm's neighborhood) at a dyno place they have there.

Anyway, it's all up to the weather (unless you have a trailer I can borrow) if it will happen or not.

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 pm

That would be me!  More Atom friendly weather?  I'm afraid that might be a while.

Let me know how the tune experience goes.  I have a "tunable" ECU available along with 60 lb injectors and might be looking for a local solution.  Sadly no trailer which complicates things a bit. 

GNU

Post by GNU » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:50 pm

I drove the Atom from Redmond, WA to Auburn, WA ysesterday to meet up with Norm, Vince from Trifecta and Bob from Drift Office.
The drive there could have been pleasent on nice sunny summer day but yesterday was neither nor sunny. The 40 degrees (F) rain combined with the snow falling off trucks that came through the cascade pass and the salt and dirt made the drive "interesting" :)

We brought the car up on the dyno and started running same baseline testing.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34716910@N03/4190668901/

Turns out the factory calibration was really out of whack and there was some real issues in the mid range.
Another thing that became painfully obvious was that it was running super rich. The richness in itself was not a suprise to me since I've read about it on the forum. The effects of it was! Look at the exhaust puffs coming out of the muffler and listen to the sound of the engine. Most of that is a direct result from fuel passing straight through the engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXhE0ry80dE&feature=youtube_gdata

Here are the final results:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34716910@N03/4190665333/

Blue lines are representing the "before" values. Red is showing the result of the modified  tnue.
Lower part of the paper shows you the fuel mixture values, before and after. Below the dotted lines indicates too rich. Do you see the blue line?
Last edited by GNU on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:23 pm

nice congrats.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:42 am

[quote="Arvid"]
Not only did Vince help me smoth out the powerband and find 10 more horsepowers. I also permanently got rid of the pogostick effect and the error codes from the fuel pump and the missing check engine light![/quote]

Did you change the ECU, or is this with the standard Brammo ECU? I've heard that HP Tuners (and possibly other packages) don't work with the Brammo ECU.

If you are using the Brammo ECU, do you know what tuning package was used? (Note that I'm not asking for the secrets of the tune, just which package was used to install it).

GNU

Post by GNU » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:58 am

Hi Terry,
It's the stock ECU.
Vince was working with it through the OBD2 the whole time.
I never asked him what software he was using but got the strong impression that the sw tools where of his own design (being an ex Microsoft software engineer and all)
I did see him use Winhex for something at one point.

I know that he takes pride in adding his own code for custom things. Norm could probably tell you more about that.