Registration Question

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Bruten

Registration Question

Post by Bruten » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:59 pm

I am looking to buy an Ariel Atom but had one question. If I get it ordered to me already assembled can i register it as a kit car? Or will I have to assemble it myself?

Karl

Re: Registration Question

Post by Karl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Depends on where you live!

Elite

Post by Elite » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:44 pm

I have the same or similar question, and we are in MN. We have a customer we are helping buy one and we will be modifying and maintaining his as needed/wanted. I noted someone in MN has already gone through the process so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Karl

Post by Karl » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Unfortunately the MN process hasn't come to a clear resolution, I don't think. Hopefully the owner in question can chime in. Have you already tried calling the DVS?

Elite

Post by Elite » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:10 pm

[quote="Karl"]
Unfortunately the MN process hasn't come to a clear resolution, I don't think. Hopefully the owner in question can chime in. Have you already tried calling the DVS?
[/quote]

No we haven't, we kinda wanted to have a clear picture of what we need to say to them before we talked to them. Rather then getting the discussion going down the wrong path by saying something wrong etc.

Elite

Post by Elite » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:14 pm

We just talked to the DMV as well as the MN Atom member who owns an Atom. Hopefully together we can get these cars registered. I'll keep you all informed of the progress.

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Shame you can't buy it as a build it yourself kit as building one would be amazing

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:59 pm

[quote="Stew Bartley"]
Shame you can't buy it as a build it yourself kit as building one would be amazing
[/quote]

For those with the DIY itch, there's always the Superlite Roadster (http://superlitecars.com/roadster_spec.html). They also make a coupe that looks like a contemporary interpretation of the Ultima GTR.

Elite

Post by Elite » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:45 pm

I know TMI is bringing in the Atoms now, and Brammo was before them. Was there any other way to get an Atom in the US? If not, we need to get a "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin" from whoever brought in/assembled the car in the US. Would that only be Brammo if before the TMI days?

Karl

Post by Karl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:53 pm

[quote="Elite"]
I know TMI is bringing in the Atoms now, and Brammo was before them. Was there any other way to get an Atom in the US? If not, we need to get a "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin" from whoever brought in/assembled the car in the US. Would that only be Brammo if before the TMI days?
[/quote]

TMI isn't importing them, they're building them in Virginia (Brammo built them in Oregon). MCO/MSO is standard issue for any manufactured vehicle, Atom or not (car dealers get MCO/MSO's from car manufacturers when they buy cars).

Bruten

Post by Bruten » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am

I live in New York.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:02 am

[quote="Bruten"]
I live in New York.
[/quote]

There was a member who had 2 Atoms at various times, which I believe were registered in New York. He isn't here as much since he sold his car, but the forum stats say he last visited at the end of September. You could look at his user profile to send him a PM. His email is also listed there.

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:48 am

Both my atoms were registered and plated in NY - I had no problem doing that. It might be different now because I dont think TMI gives a PIN with the cars they make