Spec Racer Atom and AAE in 2011

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
capblaster

Re: Spec Racer Atom and AAE in 2011

Post by capblaster » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:47 pm

In time, maybe Eddie can look into the possibilty of getting a racing series at Eagles Canyon or Motorsport Ranch. Logistically, Central Texas should be somewhat convenient for many current/future SRA owners.

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:10 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I was talking about entry fees - just trying to see the angle here.  Is this a $210 race entry, or is this a $1500 race entry.  How are they offering a new atom for 32k... What is it missing, and are they collecting more money on the races to offset the car price reduction... Stuff like that.

Just trying to understand the angle.  Don't misunderstand, I think this is a great thing and wish I could jump into something like this. 
[/quote]

I'd say at a guess that between Ariel UK now having 10years manufacturing knowledge, TMI's experience in running AAE and the Chinese apparently having already produced "several dozen units" of track only cars that enough information is around to produce a very good race only unit.

It will be great to see this up and going then replicated in UK. Even better if they can do something in the Australian market. I'm sure China already is close to or has something similar running.

Post by 777 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:07 am

can't wait to see what the roll cage looks like

docjay

Post by docjay » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:14 am

[quote="FutureAtom"]
Hey guys, just wanted to say I jumped on this deal and called mark later today after work. I put my deposit down for one of the 10 founding cars. I was on the fence about buying new vs used, but couldn't justify a new purchase at this point in my life with just starting my career, but with this deal it was a no brainer. I actually was really hoping for some kind of deal like this to make me pull a trigger on a new car.
I really liked the idea to go race down in Virginia. I think it will be alot of fun, and especially meet all the other new atom owners at the time. This will also be a good start to get me involved with tracking the car for the first time, and what better then to do it with other new owners and with TMI.
I will be making the trip from New York City for all the track days.

So who will I be racing against starting June?
I'll be one of them ;D

[/quote]

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 pm

We're excited about the SRA and agree that it will be very cost effective racing.  Yes, we plan to bring the series to the West Coast in 2012.  We've been talking with Lotus Cup to share costs at various tracks.  I'm looking forward to flying out to VIR and attending one of the SRA events this year.

vijen6

Post by vijen6 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Wooo hooo !

+1 excited for West Coast SRA

docjay

Post by docjay » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:40 pm

[quote="shinoo"]
We're excited about the SRA and agree that it will be very cost effective racing.  Yes, we plan to bring the series to the West Coast in 2012.  We've been talking with Lotus Cup to share costs at various tracks.  I'm looking forward to flying out to VIR and attending one of the SRA events this year.
[/quote]

Shinoo
As always, you have a place to stay......Cannot wait to get the car...

Post by 0100 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:04 pm

[quote="CalScot"]

[quote="payne"]
1) Are they going to lead the cars for driver weight?  I'm 6"3" and probably have 50lbs on Pete, and Ive met a few atom owners that have 50 lbs on me.  If one car is 1450 for car and driver and the other is 1500 for car and driver, you're giving a pretty big advantage to the lighter driver, no?  at 200rwhp, that's 7.25 lbs per hp vs 7.5 lbs per hp, and would take 7hp to even out.

2) Can we do a 2012 California Series sponsored by Sector 111?  I had lunch with Karl yesterday and we think we could easily get 10 drivers.  Would be awesome to do Thill, Sears, Laguna, Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, and maybe Reno.

Cheers,
Jason
[/quote]
I seriously doubt you have 50lbs on me, I'm a fat wee bastard at 195Lbs  :laugh:

Many "spec" series's have a weight for just for the car, some a combination of both car & driver with a minimum overall. Big heavy drivers have a disadvantage over skinny light ones in almost every pro series, which is why most successful drivers are like racing snakes. Remember the arguments about Danica Patrick in Indycar because she was so light! That's just the way it is. In the F2000, the minimum weight is 1275, with driver. I'm over 1300 in the car. It's a huge handicap to me over half the others (young kids) who all need some lead in the car to make weight. Bottom line is I need to stop drinking wine and stuffing my face and get to the gym, or be happy being mid pack and have fun! I have no idea on what rules TMI has in mind but I imagine it will be a simple rule with a minimum weight, either the car alone or a car & driver minimum with a target (average) driver weight of 160 or something like that. It would be a total cluster &%#$ if they tried to match all cars & drivers to the same weight.

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
"Tires are going to be all the same so it does not matter.."  It may not matter to you,but it does to me. I have NO desire to drive an Atom on track with street tires. Not even if it were free.   (well,maybe then...)
[/quote]
To each his own. I'm sure they could run slicks, but then the guy with money willing to spend $1100 a weekend on a fresh set, or $2200 on two sets, would have an advantage over the guy who does not. That's the big argument in general on "spec" racing. However, the alternative is runaway costs and an advantage to the guy who spends the most money. I can certainly make my Atom go faster with slicks, race gas and punching out it's max power and it's  a huge thrill to do it, but I get no competitive satisfaction from beating other Atoms or Porsche's or whatever it is, because my car simply has sh1t loads of money pumped into it and that's why it's fast. I have just as much fun in my Atom on track with street tires. It's all about going as fast as you can with what you've got and doing that alongside others is competition. You either get it, or you don't!

[/quote]

Having run a FSCCA car for 4 years, I agree 110% with everything you posted.

Don't complicate things with weight.  The cars are spec, so should all weight just about the same, so leave it at that. 

Please please please don't go to racing slicks for this spec series.  Been there done that, no thanks.  A nice dot tire that can last more than once race makes racing a lot more affordable.

Post by 0100 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:13 pm

Wish I saw this when the price was $32k would have definitely jumped on this.

Has TMI finished any of the SRA's yet?  Would love to see some pictures.

How many SRA have been sold yet?

June is fast approaching, when is the cutoff for new SRA orders and still have the car ready for the first race?

docjay

Post by docjay » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:30 am

[quote="0100"]

June is fast approaching, when is the cutoff for new SRA orders and still have the car ready for the first race?

[/quote]

Hopefully done the first week in May.  Last time I spoke with Mark there were right at 14 SRAs sold
Should be an absolute blast.
I think there is no cutoff, call Mark and join us!!!

Post by 0100 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:16 am

[quote="docjay"]
[quote="0100"]

[/quote]

Hopefully done the first week in May.  Last time I spoke with Mark there were right at 14 SRAs sold
Should be an absolute blast.
I think there is no cutoff, call Mark and join us!!!
[/quote]

I would love to join you guys, really think it's a great concept.  Need to sell a car first.  That is why I was wondering on a cutoff cause I am not sure how long it will take me to sell my car. 

I hope next year there is more east coast tracks added.

atomaker

Post by atomaker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Spec Racer Atom Build Status Update:

Formal cutoff date for 2011 SRA series cars actually passed.  Original target of 10 cars for 2011 series was quickly exceeded within cutoff period.  At 15 cars to start race weekend #1 (June 11-12th) as a result.  But added 5 more SRAs to chassis build lot, on spec. (=20 total).  These additional SRAs to be available on relatively short order (not necessarily in time for race #1), once initial 15 cars already spoken for are completed.  All components & powertrains to complete additional 5 SRAs will be in stock, in addition to spares being stocked to support all competing cars.

Now have min. 1 Canada based SRA car owner committed to 2011 series participation. 

Pricing on cars same as current.

Regards,
Dave

Post by 0100 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:43 am

Thanks for the info Dave.  20 cars is very good, for especially for the first season.  :tu:

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 pm

The latest email from TMI shows that the Spec Racer Atoms will be using Hoosier R6 tires.  Should be a good combination of grip and durability.  :tu:

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:49 am

Grip and durability=oxymoron. No aero..very little weigh up front..and a 205 size tire designed for a 3k.lb car...you certainly will get a lot of durability out of the tires! They should at least spec the A6s.. wonder what they will spec for a rain tire...or maybe no running in the rain?  It rains a lot on the east coast..  and R6's don't like standing water..even on heavy cars..

I noticed a "door" bar (foreward hoop brace) was added to the cage and side diagonals on the roll bar as well.  Hmm..

Oh well..on with the show! :pop:
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.