Ecotec Solutions are Coming!

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Ecotec Solutions are Coming!

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Sat May 02, 2009 1:39 am

I did not say they were unbreakable. Nothing is unbreakable.  However, it takes a LOT to break them. They usually give you some warning if it is a worn joint. If you are breaking shafts and splines,you need better ones.  ;D

Broken parts happen, when you ask 100% from it,often enough ;D  That's life!
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Sat May 02, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat May 02, 2009 1:41 am

I'm pretty sure Brammo did upgrade them in the Middle of the run somewhere....maybe someone else can confirm because I can't remember for absolute

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat May 02, 2009 2:02 am

I don't think they did. The Driveshaft Shop supplied them and I purchased a set directly from them with permission from Brammo. (I needed to replace one because the threads had become damaged, not a failure of the shaft itself. The items I got from TDS were pretty much off the rack except for the lengths.

I have discovered over time that certain folks as Brammo led some of us to believe that improvements and upgrades were made when in fact, they were not. That is not to say that I have a problem with the parts, but I did find that the so-called chrome-moly uprights never existed, even though I was told directly that I was receiving a set when I upgraded from 'Sport' to 'Track' brake package.

I'm completely happy with my drive shafts, and even more so since I know who made them and where I can get more if they ever DO fail.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat May 02, 2009 2:11 am

I contacted Driveshaft shop in 8/07 and this is what they had to say:

" we have been working with brammo on this problem, there is an internal weld that has been breaking and were not real sure why. Brammo has spared no expence on ordering the strongest axles avalible for the cars. we have been manufacturing axles like this for most of the Pro Front wheel drive Drag teams for 10 years now and not had a problem with this design . So for this application we have re-designed the part to now use a snap ring instead. all future axles will be of this design and we would offer this upgrade to anyone Brammo tells us to (the axles from the car will have to be sent in and repaired no exchanges will be offered). it will be about 3 weeks before the new design will be ready.
"

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat May 02, 2009 4:05 am

1965Cobra427 wrote:I have discovered over time that certain folks as Brammo led some of us to believe that improvements and upgrades were made when in fact, they were not. That is not to say that I have a problem with the parts, but I did find that the so-called chrome-moly uprights never existed, even though I was told directly that I was receiving a set when I upgraded from 'Sport' to 'Track' brake package.
You think that's bad? I paid Brammo to install them when my Atom was back for the frame repair. And then they charged me for another set when I ordered the 4-pot Alcon upgrade for the rear.
I'm completely happy with my drive shafts, and even more so since I know who made them and where I can get more if they ever DO fail.
Your early Atom probably doesn't have parts from the Driveshaft Shop. For your amusement, a couple quotes from Brammo:

We are not aware of any re-design of the axles for the Atom.

The confusion may stem from a recent incident in which Driveshaft shop provided axles that failed due to an incorrect manufacturing process.

-- Joe Wismann, 16-AUG-2007 when asked specifically about the new parts from Driveshaft Shop.

It looks as though we'll have to get synchronized with our vendor!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

-- Joe Wissman, 17-AUG-2007

I would recommend that we keep it on the DL unless a customer fails an axle.
-- internal Brammo email, 17-AUG-2007

In a phone call about the issue shortly thereafter, I was told that my Atom (RAM285) had driveshafts scavenged from a Cobalt as they didn't have the deal with Driveshaft Shop in place at the time. This is presumably true of all of the RAMxxx Atoms.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat May 02, 2009 4:15 am

The "Short history of Brammo - the true story"  would sure be an interesting book to read. 

Here is one thing tidbit I wasn't supposed to repeat:  Brammo was considering an electric Atom with 4 wheel based motors. 

Yeah, that would. have. never. happened. evar...

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat May 02, 2009 3:07 pm

[quote="bolus"]
I contacted Driveshaft shop in 8/07 and this is what they had to say:
[/quote]

Gotcha -  that was about 6 months after I bought mine as described above.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Mon May 04, 2009 3:51 pm

[quote="silver"]

yes I do and I have the proof on my youtube site....dumped in 2nd gear at 5500rpm...guess what.......it balked bad off the start.......don't tell me you're going to redline it and dump it into 2nd..

I was very nervous about trying it in 2nd at 5500rpm but I did and it sucked. 

1st gear with NO revving and letting the clutch out with about 30% throttle to start is the way to launch the brammo atom.
[/quote]

Don't dump the clutch.  Dumping the clutch with sticky tires is a good way to break things. 

The trick is to slip the clutch as quickly as possible without spinning the tires.  That way you don't "shock" the driveline.  It takes practice, but I ran an 11.9 in a near-stock 2003 Z06 this way.

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 pm

well......just for the record....I only dumped it 1 time....and I was skeeeered something would break, but, thank god nothing did....as for slipping the clutch...I think that's just about as dangerous to the clutch as anything else isn't it.....but in either case, it's not like I do either of those often at all so thankfully it's not a habitual act.

I think my point was, that even if you get the revvvvvs up and try to launch in 2nd gear, the car wants to bog down because there's not enough torque, slipping the clutch would make this bog down for an even longer amount of time so it's just not a good launch technique on the 5pd ecotec atom.

seems like 1st gear with clutch slippage would provide the smoothest response out of the gate and by the clutch slipping a little the tires would be less likely to spin......so I agree with you're approach of slipping the clutch but I only think it woud work in a 1st gear application.....for my car.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Mon May 04, 2009 4:28 pm

[quote="silver"]

I think my point was, that even if you get the revvvvvs up and try to launch in 2nd gear, the car wants to bog down because there's not enough torque, slipping the clutch would make this bog down for an even longer amount of time so it's just not a good launch technique on the 5pd ecotec atom.

seems like 1st gear with clutch slippage would provide the smoothest response out of the gate and by the clutch slipping a little the tires would be less likely to spin......so I agree with you're approach of slipping the clutch but I only think it woud work in a 1st gear application.....for my car.
[/quote]

I haven't practiced this in the Atom, but I think the optimum technique would be to slip the clutch at 4000RPM or more in 2nd gear.  If you do it right, the revs should never drop below 4000RPM.  Yes, this is terrible for your clutch.  ;D

Anyway, when will these performance packages be ready?  I would love to install one next winter!

silver

Post by silver » Mon May 04, 2009 4:30 pm

yay more hp!!!!

you also have diff tires then me which would surely change the most optimum way of launching.....not that i can afford to test it  ;D

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Mon May 04, 2009 4:36 pm

[quote="silver"]

you also have diff tires then me which would surely change the most optimum way of launching.....not that i can afford to test it  ;D
[/quote]

When I autocross with the A6 tires, I launch pretty much like you said.  I just bring the revs to 2000-2500RPM in 1st gear and slip the clutch quickly.  I actually want to spin the tires a bit to clean them off before the first corner.  A couple of tenths isn't worth the wear on the clutch in 2nd.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:45 am

any updates shinoo?

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:42 am

Sorry y'all.  I've been off the forums for a while plugging away with our developments.  The Harrop powered Exige is in my shop now.  We had it at the track on 2 scorching days (98 & 100degF).  Cooling issues ensued.  We are now chasing them.

My Atom sits waiting for its new triple adj Nitron suspension....

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:54 am

as if you're old suspension wasn't bad A$$ enough!!!!!!!!!