Flowmaster made me a couple of Ecotec Atom mufflers

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Lane

Re: Flowmaster made me a couple of Ecotec Atom mufflers

Post by Lane » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:43 am

Eddie - thanks for getting this started with Flowmaster letting us all know of this option.

I gave Lee a call last week and he advised me to wait a bit to order anything until you provided some feedback.  How are those mufflers working out?  Are you planning on dropping Lee a line to let him know? 

I'd like to replace my current muffler in the next couple of weeks - I've got another cross-country trip of several thousand miles planned for the Atom in June  ;D :tu:  The rasp has been getting louder recently under throttle and I'd like to eliminate it as a potential source of problems for the trip.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:12 pm

[quote="Lane"]
Eddie - thanks for getting this started with Flowmaster letting us all know of this option.

I gave Lee a call last week and he advised me to wait a bit to order anything until you provided some feedback.  How are those mufflers working out?  Are you planning on dropping Lee a line to let him know? 

I'd like to replace my current muffler in the next couple of weeks - I've got another cross-country trip of several thousand miles planned for the Atom in June  ;D :tu:  The rasp has been getting louder recently under throttle and I'd like to eliminate it as a potential source of problems for the trip.
[/quote]

I've put about 50 miles (One round trip to the lake) on the large black one, and it has been great so far. It seems to run better than it did with the original muffler, and better than with the open pipe that I used for a while. It definitely got rid of the off-idle flat spot, or hesitation, that I had with the open (no muffler) pipe. I obviously will have to wait some time for a long term durability report in this application-- but none of the Flowmasters I have used in the past ever had any durability issues!

So everything I have to report at this time is positive.

I'd like to find someone to record a sound bite with the black one, before I take it off to try the smaller, coated, Hushpower one.

The black one went right on, no problem at all with the fit-up.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:16 pm

Eddie, I imagine, to you, that virtually every engine seems to have a flat spot just off idle. :laugh:

foobar12345

Post by foobar12345 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Funny coincidence, I have had a flowmaster muffler on for the last month, it works well.  The neighbors like it a lot more than the previous straight pipe!

-Brad

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:49 pm

Here is the Hushpower version, after five sessions at Hallett!

I am very happy with the looks, fit, and especially the sound, of this one, and plan to run it forever!

Many folks came by my pit during the day, and said the car sounded great on the track!!

I have heard it only from in the car, with my helmet on, but I like the sound better than the stock muffler, or the short open pipe I used in place of any muffler, and also better than the larger black Flowmaster I ran the first day's running at Hallett.

The black flowmaster looked like this after five sessions on Saturday--

but a coating like HPC would cure that, I'm sure-

I LOVE the Hushpower!!! :tu:

Eddie ;D
Last edited by FourFather on Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:07 pm

What kind of coating did they use, and why did it come off so horribly.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:16 pm

I love the look of that Hushpower!! :tu:

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:45 pm

[quote="silver"]
[/quote]

I think the reason that they painted, and did not hi-temp coat the black one, like they did the Hushpower one, is because I believe they knew I'd almost certainly use only the Hushpower one.

Which is true!

But I did want to evaluate the black one for fit, sound, etc., which is why I put the black painted (uncoated) one on first. 'Cause I reckoned the coated Hushpower one would never come off, once installed!

Which is also true!

The black one apparently just had some paint of some sort, just for the purpose of prototype evaluation, and the paint did not stay on, but the muffler could be hi-temp coated - ( I personally always use HPC High Performance Coating- they have an office in Oklahoma City and other cities), and then it would probably look pretty much like the Hushpower one.

I did have a good conversation with Lee at Flowmaster/Hushpower today, and relayed my findings/feedback to him. All is positive on both of the mufflers themselves, and now we know that tboth versions need to be HPC hi-temp coated.

I LOVE the look of the coated Hushpower by Flowmaster!!

To me, it looks more "factory" than the original equipment one did!! :tu:

It certainly SOUNDS better!!  :tu:

IMHO  ;)

Eddie ;D

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Do you guys not have noise limits on track? (Or on the road for that matter.)
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:38 pm

Great report Eddie, wish I could have been there. Next month, hopefully . . . .

silver

Post by silver » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:17 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Do you guys not have noise limits on track? (Or on the road for that matter.)
[/quote]

some tracks do some tracks don't..................some local authorities care............some don't, some states have a law about SPL of a car, some don't

j.vick125

Post by j.vick125 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:48 am

[quote="silver"]
some tracks do (one in California) some tracks don't..................some local authorities care California............some don't, some states have a law about SPL of a carcoughCaliforniacough, some don't
[/quote]

Running theme?;)

positron

Post by positron » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:38 am

I guess I'm one of them then.. after a full day of listening to Mazda RX7's and Miata's open pipes swarm around the track, at what seemed like slow motion, I was ready to let Charles Mason out of Corcoran..

Do they really think they sound good? sounded like a long philips screwdriver jabbed into my ear.. Now how do we get our cars to sound like the Factory Five Cobra's without the shame of having a blue oval?

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:12 am

[quote="FourFather"]
[quote="silver"]
[/quote]

I think the reason that they painted, and did not hi-temp coat the black one, like they did the Hushpower one, is because I believe they knew I'd almost certainly use only the Hushpower one.

Which is true!

But I did want to evaluate the black one for fit, sound, etc., which is why I put the black painted (uncoated) one on first. 'Cause I reckoned the coated Hushpower one would never come off, once installed!

Which is also true!

The black one apparently just had some paint of some sort, just for the purpose of prototype evaluation, and the paint did not stay on, but the muffler could be hi-temp coated - ( I personally always use HPC High Performance Coating- they have an office in Oklahoma City and other cities), and then it would probably look pretty much like the Hushpower one.

I did have a good conversation with Lee at Flowmaster/Hushpower today, and relayed my findings/feedback to him. All is positive on both of the mufflers themselves, and now we know that tboth versions need to be HPC hi-temp coated.

I LOVE the look of the coated Hushpower by Flowmaster!!

To me, it looks more "factory" than the original equipment one did!! :tu:

It certainly SOUNDS better!!  :tu:

IMHO  ;)

Eddie ;D
[/quote]
Eddie, the Hushpower muffler looks great. Can you let us know how loud it is compared to the stock muffler?
What's inside it/how is it constructed. All metal or packing?
Cheersâ?¢