FourFather Eddie Hill’s new Ariel Atom 3 build pictures- 300 HP, carbon fiber

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
wisp

Re: FourFather Eddie Hill’s new Ariel Atom 3 build pictures- 300 HP, carbon fiber

Post by wisp » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Actually I think that with wings and the rollbar in place you can get away with having the window screen. It kind of blends in. It would not be my first choice but in this configuration it does not look half bad. In fact, a very nice car.

:tu:

capblaster

Re: FourFather Eddie Hill’s new Ariel Atom 3 build pictures- 300 HP, carbon fibe

Post by capblaster » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:21 am

[quote="FourFather"]
[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
I'm getting use to the look of the w/s.  Without the big rollbar,might be just fine. :H:  Nice job, Eddie!    By the way,how's the Ecotec hotrod coming?
[/quote]

I've been wondering if anyone else besides me changed their mind about the look of the windshield. ??? At first announcement, I did not like it at all! When I ordered this car, which is to be my personal ride and company demonstrator- I ordered it without the windshield. Then, over time, it started to look better and better, until I changed my order to add it, for a couple of reasons.

Eddie ;D
[/quote] I had TMI put on a windshield and really like. It takes 15 minutes to install the dash with no windshield for trackdays. I like to drive close to the steering wheel and usually have the seat all the way up. As a result, the black side trim from the windshield will fall in the middle of your right rear view mirror. Please let me know if you are the factory decide to make a right rear view mirror with a longer arm.
Last edited by capblaster on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Re: FourFather Eddie Hill’s new Ariel Atom 3 build pictures- 300 HP, carbon fiber

Post by silver » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:07 am

which mirrors do you have?

there are several mirrors for the atom...stockers, spa mirrors fiberglass or carbon and 2 or 3 other options.

dp35

Post by dp35 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:53 am

[quote="Monza"]
Tyres : ok, i understand if you change them one day, try the R888 SG or GGG Front, and GG Rear (no gumm choice on rear)[/quote]

The GG & GGG tires are not available in the US, only SG.

Congrats on the great new car Eddie.  Welcome to the Honda side. 

However, if there's any one man that SHOULD have a V8 in his Atom...

Bruce Fielding

Re: FourFather Eddie Hill’s new Ariel Atom 3 build pictures- 300 HP, carbon fibe

Post by Bruce Fielding » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:05 am

[quote="capblaster"]
Please let me know if you are the factory decide to make a right rear view mirror with a longer arm.
[/quote]

Go to your local motorcycle accessories shop. You'll be amazed at how easy it is not to get the factory involved in this process.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:26 pm

[quote="capblaster"]
I had TMI put on a windshield and really like. It takes 15 minutes to install the dash with no windshield for trackdays. I like to drive close to the steering wheel and usually have the seat all the way up. As a result, the black side trim from the windshield will fall in the middle of your right rear view mirror. Please let me know if you are the factory decide to make a right rear view mirror with a longer arm.

[/quote]

Actually, my conversation with you about the windshield and how it works on your car, was a huge factor in my decision to go ahead with putting the windshield on!

I wound up with the best of both worlds. TMI's idea was to have BOTH the full windshield with the hood/bonnet to match, and also the aero screens mounted on another panel, with matching hood/bonnet for that option. That is why I now have both! So, to show a prospective customer that has not made up his mind yet, I can demonstrate the car both ways, with just a few minutes wrenching. :tu:

My car is here now, and I have driven it four miles, and noticed what you found about the right mirror is partially behind the right windshield post. With our forty-four years  selling motorcycles and related parts and accessories, I'll bet we can come up with something, if TMI doesn't beat me to it-

Eddie ;D
Last edited by FourFather on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:33 pm

[quote="dp35"]
[quote="Monza"]
Tyres : ok, i understand if you change them one day, try the R888 SG or GGG Front, and GG Rear (no gumm choice on rear)[/quote]

The GG & GGG tires are not available in the US, only SG.

Congrats on the great new car Eddie.  Welcome to the Honda side. 

However, if there's any one man that SHOULD have a V8 in his Atom...
[/quote]

Actually, my first choice would be Hoosier A-6, anyway.

Thanks, Darin, I'm really excied about learning this new one!

V-8--- I can't keep myself from thinking about it! ::)

Eddie ;D

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:42 pm

[quote="wisp"]
Actually I think that with wings and the rollbar in place you can get away with having the window screen. It kind of blends in. It would not be my first choice but in this configuration it does not look half bad. In fact, a very nice car.

[/quote]

Thanks, Wisp. I needed some acceptance time after the windshield first came out, but now I think it all works together quite well. And I now have both the full windshield and the other panel with the aero screens, with matching hoods/bonnets, so a few minutes work and I can have it the other way.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:10 pm

[quote="FourFather"]
[quote="wisp"]

[/quote]

Thanks, Wisp. I needed some acceptance time after the windshield first came out, but now I think it all works together quite well. And I now have both the full windshield and the other panel with the aero screens, with matching hoods/bonnets, so a few minutes work and I can have it the other way.

[/quote]

Yep having seen a few more cars with a windscreen at Atom X they have grown on me a bit, although it remains much more dependent on colour than other options IMO

Monza

Post by Monza » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Eddie : it's alreadu written on a stamp on the windscreen, but do not forget to tell everyone (and yourself ;D) to never touch the windscreen with your hand when getting out of the car (generaly no reflex to touch the windscreen when going into the car, BUT you think to it every time you want to go out!). Windscreen can be broken with this ...
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:26 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
Go to your local motorcycle accessories shop. You'll be amazed at how easy it is not to get the factory involved in this process.
[/quote]

The original "Elephant ear" mirrors sat up a bit higher than the current Mirallys that the factory uses. They are also available with a 6" stalk option instead of the 4" that the factory used. I got a $15 pair of 6" EMGO's from JC Whitney (the price has gone up a bit since). Don't laugh - I have 15,000+ miles on these and they still stay put where I position them.

If you buy motorcycle mirrors, make sure to NOT get the Yamaha version. None of these come with matching nuts, so you need to re-use the ones from your existing mirrors. Yamaha type uses a left-hand thread on one and right-hand on the other. The last thing you want to do is try to buy a single 10mm left-hand-thread Nylock nut in the US. Trust me on this... :doh:

[quote="Monza"]
Eddie : it's alreadu written on a stamp on the windscreen, but do not forget to tell everyone (and yourself ;D) to never touch the windscreen with your hand when getting out of the car (generaly no reflex to touch the windscreen when going into the car, BUT you think to it every time you want to go out!). Windscreen can be broken with this ...
[/quote]

Quite true. Because of my legs, Brammo lifted the steering wheel / dash / aero bubble deck up as high as they would go. That means there's about a 7/16" spacer pushing the deck up at the center mounting hole. My original matte black fiberglass panel developed a bunch of stress cracks from people pushing down on it when getting in / out of the passenger seat. When I switched all the matte panels to carbon fiber, I put a big yellow "Do Not Press" sticker on the deck right behind the center mounting hole. That's the Atom equivalent of "NO STEP" that you see on airplane wings.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:31 am

My new ride is here, and I spent the weekend looking, inspecting, waxing and Armor-alling, and have 34 miles already. I wanted to get it waxed and protected before It got dirty the first time.

Click on the picture for a slideshow!

I am VERY pleased with the car!! :tu:

Eddie ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:57 am

What is your opinion of the Honda engine vs the ecotec? 

silver

Post by silver » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:00 am

did you ask them to install the shocks in the opposite manner versus the Brammo cars or is that now the normal direction to install them.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:11 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
What is your opinion of the Honda engine vs the ecotec? 
[/quote]

Only 34 miles so far, and not enough time yet for much of a comparison. More on that after some useful seat time. So far, I like the Honda a LOT! But I have always loved my Ecotec, too.

More later-

Eddie ;D