How much HP are modified Atoms Making

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
Lane

Re: How much HP are modified Atoms Making

Post by Lane » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:48 am

[quote="bambam"]
Sorry if there are other threads already started here but I am curious as to some of the mods some people have done on their Atoms
[/quote]

Let's see, I've done a lot of powdercoating, swapped out marginal or failed parts for better ones (brake switch, light sockets, steering column bushing, exhaust system), added safety washers, added brake bias control, had some custom airbrushing done, upgraded to Hawk pads for track use, scrapped the windscreen bubbles for Lexan similar to the Atom 3 design.  I'm currently in process of installing upgraded Palatov rear uprights, and I've got a GM Performance clutch waiting on my kitchen table for a day when I get motivated enough to tackle that job.  And there's other stuff I can't recall offhand.

[quote="bambam"]
Also how reliable are they once modified?
[/quote]

A number of the things I've done have been specifically for that reason - to improve reliability.

[quote="bambam"]
& what HP they have been able to produce. 
[/quote]

I personally haven't really added any hp.  But I am faster in the car after every track day I do.  Unless you're an F1 champion at the top of the game, practice will improve performance for the average Atom driver more than thowing parts at it will.  The car already offers stupid-level performance out of the box that can easily overwhelm, incapacitate, maim, pillage & burn.  I know it doesn't seem like that is enough for a lot of Atom owners here, and I wouldn't mind having better performance from the car even though I doubt my ability will allow me to utilize it (yet).  But unless better performance is achieved through driver improvement, added downforce, improved traction, etc. - it's very unlikely that most can maintain the high level of "stock" reliability when a person cracks open the motor and tries their hand at re-engineering it..
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Wmcmanus

Post by Wmcmanus » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:03 am

[quote="CalScot"]
In my case, I am happy with the fun I have had even through the issues. There's just nothing like the sheer mental acceleration of an Atom with 475WHP. Fact is I am hard on every car I have. I have a stock Lexus LS460. The dealer has told me on several occasions "we have NEVER seen this problem before". They have sent technicians from Toyota corporate engineering division to figure out why it has blown pistons on two separate occasions. I have had the brake rotors changed under warranty twice because of excessive warping. All I can tell you is it's a great car and can lap Willow Springs big track as fast as most drivers in a BMW M5 for at least the first five laps until the brakes go on fire or the engine makes a funny rumble  it comes to a smokey demise  :laugh: Go figure!!
[/quote]

You always make me laugh, Pete!  I can just picture you trashing your Lexus and then acting all surprised and innocent when you tow it back to the dealership.  "Who?  What?  Me?  No, I treat it like a kitten."
Last edited by Wmcmanus on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 am

[quote="Wmcmanus"]
[quote="CalScot"]
In my case, I am happy with the fun I have had even through the issues. There's just nothing like the sheer mental acceleration of an Atom with 475WHP. Fact is I am hard on every car I have. I have a stock Lexus LS460. The dealer has told me on several occasions "we have NEVER seen this problem before". They have sent technicians from Toyota corporate engineering division to figure out why it has blown pistons on two separate occasions. I have had the brake rotors changed under warranty twice because of excessive warping. All I can tell you is it's a great car and can lap Willow Springs big track as fast as most drivers in a BMW M5 for at least the first five laps until the brakes go on fire or the engine makes a funny rumble  it comes to a smokey demise  :laugh: Go figure!!
[/quote]

You always make me laugh, Pete!  I can just picture you trashing your Lexus and then acting all surprised and innocent when you tow it back to the dealership.  "Who?  What?  Me?  No, I treat it like a kitten."
[/quote]

I actually got my wife to take it in the last two times. I also alternate between three different local dealers. It's lease end is up in a month and when they called and asked if I want to buy it, I laughed and said no way, I'll get a new one thank you :laugh:

WorkingOnIt

Post by WorkingOnIt » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:36 am

[quote="Wmcmanus"]
I can just picture.....
[/quote]

I flashed to Steve McQueen returning the rental car in The Hunter.

(7:40)  love the 'king of cool' shrug
Last edited by WorkingOnIt on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:39 am

[quote="bambam"]
What type of mods have done then?[/quote]

Other than a new exhaust and a remote oil filter/cooler, I haven't done any engine stuff on my Ecotec Atom.

However, I have made a number of other changes. The major ones should all be listed on my Atom web page*.

* That isn't my Atom Across America site, but a separate page that I have for non-trip-related things.