Tilton Brake Bias Adjuster

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
DSL

Tilton Brake Bias Adjuster

Post by DSL » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Hello,

I just installed a Tilton Brake Bias Adjuster into my Atom 3. The Coupling is attached to the right hand side (passenger side) of the adjuster bolt. Does anyone know how sensitive these are, how many revolutions of that brake bias bolt make a difference, which direction is bias to front to rear. I know I can take it out and play, but have not had time yet.  Thanks.

David

atomathics

Re: Tilton Brake Bias Adjuster

Post by atomathics » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:57 am

I counted it once and it was eighteen 360-degree turns of the knob to run it from one end to the other.

Note that the threaded rod does get dirty after a while just being exposed to the air causing some binding which makes the knob seem like it can't be turned any more.  Just keep it clean and it's easier to adjust.

Of course, your count may be different!

993rs

Post by 993rs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 am

It sounds like you have yours set up like I did mine.  On mine, turning the knob counterclockwise adjusts more bias to the rear.  As I recall some literature from Tilton said that each turn shifts the bias like 2%.  You cannot determine the amount of bias shifted by counting the number of turns possible, since the range of adjustment is not 100%.  If at some point you cannot adjust the bias enough with the adjuster, you need to use different size master cylinders to further shift the balance.  That is commonly done with cars with substantially unequal weight distributions, like Porche 911's.

timcking

Post by timcking » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:02 am

My experience with my 2009 Atom 3 is that it took 2 turns to adjust the brake balance from the original setting from the factory.  One turn was better, but it took 2 full turns to get it close.  The fronts still lock up first.

DSL

Post by DSL » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Thank you very much for the helpful info!!

David