My Atom3 Test @ VIR

A country specific area to gas about the AmericAtom
shinoo

My Atom3 Test @ VIR

Post by shinoo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:02 pm

I'm now returning from a quick trip to TMI's factory at VIR.  I had the pleasure of hanging out with Dave, Mark, Brent & their crew.  Plus I got to take their Atom3 demo out for a few laps.

The Car
I'm very impressed with the power and delivery.  Very smooth and very fast!  I lugged it at low rpms and it pulled nicely.  The engine sounds great. >:D  And quiet. :angel:  The car was a blast to drive.  This one sported the new windshield - which I like even better in person.  This is the ticket for street driven Atoms.  Frankly the styling could not have been executed any better - so kudos to the designer!  The steering was even quicker than my Atom2.  I like the new Bilsteins as they are very compliant.  The track was cold and I had never run it, so I took it easy.  I must say that VIR is a superb track for the Atom.  It is a perfect match.  I only have a couple nits to pick.  The new individual seats are nice but the inside bolster interferes with my short arms.  My outside elbow also hits the parking brake handle.    Overall it is a true:  :tu: :tu: :tu:

I think this car is an improvement over my Atom2.  Not a revolution but an nice evolution.  Boy, I love these Atoms.  Scary, fun and unique.  This test car has run thousands of track miles with excellent reliability.

The Factory
I think TMI have built a very nice shop.  I'm fortunate to have visited Brammo, Ariel UK and now TMI's factories.  TMI has taken some of the best aspects of each and combined them in their factory.  It is a very neat and organized shop (important to me), the cars are built by 1 tech and most of the items- like the chassis - are built under their roof.

The Team
Anyone who has met these guys will attest to how nice they are.  The entire team are enthusiasts and many are racers.  Their passion and commitment were clear to me.  I think the Atom community has a promising future with these guys in charge...

Wmcmanus

Re: My Atom3 Test @ VIR

Post by Wmcmanus » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:27 pm

So have you included the windshield option on your Atom 3 order?  :laugh:  Or are you still giving it some thought as to if and when?

positron

Post by positron » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:01 am

Thanks for the write up!  :tu:

SaturnV

Post by SaturnV » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Excellent write-up, and I have to agree on all points.

I also drove the demo car, but not on the track. I personally didn't care for the windshield, but it does look better in person than in pictures.

I can't say enough good things about the team at TMI. They definitely have their act together and I am very optimistic about the future of Atoms in the US.