Vegantune

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
AtomFun

Vegantune

Post by AtomFun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:42 pm

Met the crew from Vegantune at Brands Hatch on Saturday. They were part of John Hayman's team and responsible for getting the car ready for the race.

Had an interesting conversation with Richard Marshall (the Director) who informed me they had some ideas that would make the Atom handle a lot better.

They have a website at www.vegantune.com

David Ryan

Re: Vegantune

Post by David Ryan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:27 pm

Hmmm! Intersting! Tell us more. What did he say specifically?

Fast Buck's car has Vegantune stickers all over it. I wonder what they did on his car!

I'm sure he will enlighten us!

D.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:36 pm

[quote="David Ryan"]
Hmmm! Intersting! Tell us more. What did he say specifically?
[/quote]
I think they're keeping it under wraps just now until they get round to testing it. It wasn't engine related.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:02 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
Had an interesting conversation with Richard Marshall (the Director) who informed me they had some ideas that would make the Atom handle a lot better.
[/quote]Better than what? On what surface? At what speeds?

Lots of people think they can make a better Atom. Ultimately, the Atom you want is the Atom you end up with, but mostly, those third parties wanting to make it better consult the factory (even if they don't happen to mention that that's what they're doing!).

In my experience, people who have historically spent a great deal of money on modifying their car often return to square one eventually. The factory has had five years to get it right. If someone says they can do better in five minutes, good luck to them.

Having said that, someone just offered to sell me a Saxo with a 4 inch zorst, huge pumping stereo, orange/purple flip paint, tints, 17 inch wheels, NOS and no badges. I'm tempted...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:20 pm

I'm assuming they meant on the track, but that's a guess.

In the main I think your comments are correct Bruce but there are occasions when things can be bettered - evolution.

Looking at the Vegantune website it seems they have some pedigree.

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:38 pm

Bruce, whats your saxo comment got to do with anything? You've lost me!
Vegantune are replacing non bearing items with bearings, they showed me, it makes sense.
I.e  if you push your atom down at the front it doesn't bounce up properly because Ariel haven't used bearings on the joints(can't remember what that part's called)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:39 pm

Doesn't sound a pricey job. Will wait with interest the results.

badge

Post by badge » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:51 pm

Ariel will supply and fit you roller bearing bell housings as well. They will improve the handling (a small amount) but are expensive and tend to either wear out or die.

Most roller bearings don't like working though small degrees of travel ,they tend to oval the hub after a while or start to stick.

The standard ones should last as long as the car (maybe not quite that long)

Ariel run the roller bearing set up on their race cars and have to replace them often, granted they are under more presure on a race car with slicks. But Tom suggested they are only something you'd do for the last % of handling.

Answer......Yes they can improve the handling, but you will need to look after then and possibly replace occasionally.

Julian

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:08 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[quote="AtomFun"]
[/quote]Better than what? On what surface? At what speeds?

Lots of people think they can make a better Atom. Ultimately, the Atom you want is the Atom you end up with, but mostly, those third parties wanting to make it better consult the factory (even if they don't happen to mention that that's what they're doing!).

In my experience, people who have historically spent a great deal of money on modifying their car often return to square one eventually. The factory has had five years to get it right. If someone says they can do better in five minutes, good luck to them.

Having said that, someone just offered to sell me a Saxo with a 4 inch zorst, huge pumping stereo, orange/purple flip paint, tints, 17 inch wheels, NOS and no badges. I'm tempted...
[/quote]

what total tosh!
everything can be improved and tweaked! Vegantune are going to be pounding around race tracks this year tweaking/altering and testing modified components on the atom. this track testing (which lets be fair, the factory doesn't have the time to do) can hone the atoms chassis. that knowledge can then be tested on the road and honed for that to!
Its not only Vegantune that are working on the atoms chassis/handling,  i know of another individual thats doing something similar with a chassis/handling guru to achieve similar results via a different route, nope i'm not saying how or who.
Vegantune do have a long and established history, maybe thats why the Noble factory chose them, and what they have done to improve a colleages gto with their tweaks is very impressive indeed (having driven it a lot and driven many factory cars a lot, i think i should know)

its this knowledge, and for sure seeing their attention to detail first hand, is the reason why i have them looking after my car (especially after seeing another atom at brands that was prepared and run by another team (it wasn't good), certainly made me realise i had made the right choice.

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:29 am

VIVA LA VEGANTUNE!!!!

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:18 am

They seemed a nice bunch of guys John.

I agree with you, it's the bands of tweakers that make the car evolve into something better. I'll be interested to hear of the results.

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:54 am

sure is!
i mean if we all took bruce's thoughts as read....we wouldn't even try a different tyre manufacturers product on the car, because the factory oe fitmen would be the best tyre for the job........wouldn't it!?!?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:28 am

I'm just going to sit here smugly waiting for all of you to go through what Ross and I have been through over the last four and a half years...

Come back then and tell me I was wrong.

I'm not suggesting that you don't try new things, or that the car can't be improved or changed. The 2005 car is an entirely different car from the first one I bought on practically every level, mostly thanks to the efforts of the owners. However, the issue is that some stuff works and other stuff doesn't. The factory is best placed to analyse, choose and make appropriate changes.

What I will say is that it's thanks to people feeding back information to the factory that has changed the car for the better, but that will only continue to happen if we share information - on places like this and with the factory directly. Secrecy doesn't help, John.

Incidentally, there is a curse on those not taking the factory's advice. Jon decided to go his own way:

[img width=640 height=304]http://gallery.atomclub.com/albums/user ... ham002.jpg[/img]

You have been warned...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:35 am

hahahaha, is that Herbie without clothes?

haymanator

Post by haymanator » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:55 am

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I'm just going to sit here smugly waiting for all of you to go through what Ross and I have been through over the last four and a half years...

What I will say is that it's thanks to people feeding back information to the factory that has changed the car for the better, but that will only continue to happen if we share information - on places like this and with the factory directly. Secrecy doesn't help, John.

no secrecy! but at this point in time.... it is just a situation where some "old experts" feel they can see ways to improve the chassis dynamics.
results will be public, factory know whats going on. this forum right now is not the place to discuss their ideas until they have tried them (sure that Ruf don't ask the porsche forum if something might work or not)! 
no worries though about earlier attempts at "improvement",  because vegantune are not in the MAX power market!
[/quote]