What should I take??

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
sebby

What should I take??

Post by sebby » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:44 am

Some of you may remember that a friend and I are driving down to Monaco in the summer.
We may be able to stay with a friend of mine. If not, we'll have to camp.
Please suggest essential items we have to take that (a) can fit in the car and (b) will not unduly affect the balance of the car.
By the way we are both intending to employ the 4 day pant plan as a means of reducing weight and space consumption.

benyeats

Re: What should I take??

Post by benyeats » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:25 pm

Last summer I went on a camping trip to the GP at Silverstone with my Atom and a passenger.  We took the following

i)  2 man tent
ii) Trangia for breakfast making
iii) Sleeping bags, ideally down as they pack much smaller
iv) Waterproof gear
v) Clothing (no need to worry about pant rule as only one night
vi) Torches

By mainly eating out you can massivly cut down on what you need to bring along.  If you don't need the seat all the way back then you will find some useful storage behind it.  Also more space under the seats than you might think.

Not sure how I will get on on the 5 day Milau hoon with a passenger and my stuff !

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:53 pm

Sebby - I can't remember - how tall are you? As Ben says, if you're not on the furthest back position, there's quite a bit of space behind the seats for soft luggage...

Alternatively, I know where you can get some lovely custom made leather bags ;D

On that subject, are you thinking of sharing the driving? If so it would make sense to ensure that the lucky co-driver you pick is your height, as moving the seat back and forth is a pain in the arse.

Also, has anyone ever tried adding a boot rack to the Atom? It looks as though it should be quite easy... Be a bit warm though, as the heat from the engine comes up that way when stationary.

Otherwise, the traditional way of travelling with luggage in an Atom is to cram stuff under the passenger's legs!

And apart from Ben's list, I would suggest a pretty comprehensive tool kit in the 'boot' (search for details on here) including  a tyre repair kit of some sort.

Option 2 is, if you know where you're staying, you can mail changes of clothes ahead of you and mail back soiled items! (I'm actually serious).
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:41 pm

You'll also need what ever is a legal requiremwnt for France.  Red triangle etc.

Here is a link to the AA site http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ov ... pment.html

I am sure you could hire a tent at your destination.  For the drive down and back rent cheap hotels.  This will cut down on the need to take alot of equipment. Toilet paper.  Tool kit should have spare bulbs, fuses, spanner set.  I would also recommend an Atom outdoor cover.  I know they are expensive and take up room, but they do keep the car dry and give some comfort that the car "is out of view" overnight.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:49 pm

[quote="John Lloyd"]
I would also recommend an Atom outdoor cover.  I know they are expensive and take up room, but they do keep the car dry and give some comfort that the car "is out of view" overnight.
[/quote]

Argos has them from 15 quid! Not as sexy as yours, John, but fulfills the brief!

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:08 pm

Which car cover is that then? Is it a genertic one that just needs some rope to make it fit the Atom? If it works i will buy one.

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:24 pm

My experience of car covers is the generic type are fine if your planning to cover it for a week or more. Taking time to secure the cover so the wind doesn't lift it and blow away. It does take some time.

The Atom outdoor cover is horrendosly expensive but takes 5 minutes to cover, fits like a glove, looks the part etc etc

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:31 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
The Atom outdoor cover is horrendosly expensive but takes 5 minutes to cover, fits like a glove, looks the part etc etc
[/quote]

How horrendously?

And with my cover, I put it over the back of the car, reverse onto it, and then just tie up at the front. Takes moments (It's quite a big cover as I also use it for the Alvis.)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:38 pm

Think it was something like £315. Probably cost about £80 max in material and fastenings at the most.

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:40 pm

All i need a cover for is the old day or two when i am away from home.  In fact i am also planning a Euro road trip this summer through France/Monaco/Alps/The ring etc and a car cover is needed then to stop dodgy people putting their sweaty hands on my Atom. ;)

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:41 pm

And if i can pay £15 and not £300 then it means more alcohol for me in the long run.

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:53 pm

[quote="Adam T"]
All i need a cover for is the old day or two when i am away from home.  In fact i am also planning a Euro road trip this summer through France/Monaco/Alps/The ring etc and a car cover is needed then to stop dodgy people putting their sweaty hands on my Atom. ;)
[/quote]Even with the cover on, people would  have realized its something special, cause the ATOM is so low in height!!!

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:06 pm

[quote="g8kam"]

Even with the cover on, people would  have realized its something special, cause the ATOM is so low in height!!!

[/quote]

Accepted.  It's more that it stops people "taking" bits off it when it's parked outside overnight.  I also have a removable steering wheel which I always take off if the car is left outside.

Cover does make the car look good.

Also on my trips I have a clear plastic wallet strapped to my leg with the directions in it.  Looks a bit like a fighter pilot  :D

Atom also causes quite a stir at the tunnel

g8kam

Post by g8kam » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:18 pm

LOL ;D

I certainly hope the fighter pilots do not need to have the directions written down.

I'll be very worry ;D

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:40 pm

The Atom cover has changed a little in design john.

I'll post a picture later.