The Atom's ugly sister

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Steve Gibson
Administrator

The Atom's ugly sister

Post by Steve Gibson » Thu May 03, 2007 5:58 pm

First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

sloppyjoe

Re: The Atom's ugly sister

Post by sloppyjoe » Thu May 03, 2007 6:14 pm

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.mevltd.co.uk/images/REAR%203-4.jpg[/img]

Is it just me, or are those brakes absolutely tiny?

[img width=800 height=600]http://www.mevltd.co.uk/images/DASH&TUNNEL.jpg[/img]

And an airbag?!

nickpoore

Post by nickpoore » Thu May 03, 2007 9:40 pm

Notice how the steering wheels are different in the two photos.
One is blue, the other black.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Thu May 03, 2007 10:41 pm

Not only can they not come up with an original design, but the name Rockets been used before!!

Hilarious  ;D  ;D

bm97ppc

Post by bm97ppc » Thu May 03, 2007 10:59 pm

I thought they might call it an electron, it certainly hasn't got any charmness.

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu May 03, 2007 11:38 pm

Do you think it's related to Brum?

Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:37 am

Maybe Simon sold off the very first fridge drawing done by his youngest child...

;D ;D ;D

(No idea whether Simon even has children)

Jacob Potts

Post by Jacob Potts » Fri May 04, 2007 2:48 am

I wish them all the success in the world.  It is not easy to design and build your own vehicle.

I am curious: the Rocket has a high tunnel running through the middle of the passenger compartment.  Since the donor vehicle is a Ford Focus, might that tunnel be for the all-wheel drive apparatus from a rallye Focus?

Nevertheless, I notice to my extreme sorrow that the Rocket is offered in Presidential Orange.  I greatly fear that our highly esteemed and greatly exalted El Presidente Numbero Uno Bruce Fielding will soon abandon the Atom and be found flying a Rocket instead.

Jacob :-)

gstatom

Post by gstatom » Fri May 04, 2007 5:39 am

[quote="Jacob Potts"]
I wish them all the success in the world.  It is not easy to design and build your own vehicle.
[/quote]

Sure, why not? Good luck to MEV and their ugly, ugly cars (ugly).

Damn, they're ugly.

nitram38

Post by nitram38 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:09 pm

First I do not like the car, but does everycar with an exposed chassis now become an atom wannabee?
I don't think that MEV ever said it was and it is obvious it is not.
As far as I am aware it was an alternative to the hordes of 7 copies.
Not everyone has the money to buy an atom, so why critise people who design their own?
If I was going for out and out speed, I would buy the MK Sprint-R single seater.
I love the atom, but I think the price tag is too heavy for the decent ones.
Good luck MEV for trying something a little different and cheaply!

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri May 04, 2007 12:23 pm

nitram, I think the problem is that once you've driven the Atom you tend to compare every other car to it, especially if it looks visually similar.

If you remember you received positive feedback about your car, which is unique, but with this one resembling the Atom more then the comments seem to dwell on this aspect.

I doubt if most members here could do as well, with the exception of yourself and dp that is, so as far as I'm concerned, anyone who can achieve something at this level gets my respect (even if I did poke at bit of fun at it's facial looks).  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Fri May 04, 2007 12:48 pm

Alec, you forgot our pipe bending friend. His Atom must be complete by now.

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Fri May 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Just because you're not able to build a vehicle yourself doesn't exclude you from making a criticism of people who seriously offer something to the buying public. I run a design company and my clients obviously aren't designers, but it doesn't mean they can't pass criticism on what we produce for them.

The MEV Rocket is, evidently, heavily inspired by the Atom â?? but it's a badly designed, incoherent, awkward looking thing, in my opinion. It looks like it was lashed up in a shed by a man with a hacksaw. The Atom1 and Atom2 never came to market looking so rough or so unresolved â?? it had faults sure.

The Rocket ain't 'cheap' either â?? MEV want £18K (starting price) for a new one!
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri May 04, 2007 4:50 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
Alec, you forgot our pipe bending friend. His Atom must be complete by now.
[/quote]

I doubt he even got further than spouting his mouth off, which is probably what he's still doing now but, luckily for us, he must be doing it somewhere else.  ;)

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri May 04, 2007 5:11 pm

[quote="Stevo"]
Just because you're not able to build a vehicle yourself doesn't exclude you from making a criticism of people who seriously offer something to the buying public. I run a design company and my clients obviously aren't designers, but it doesn't mean they can't pass criticism on what we produce for them.

The MEV Rocket is, evidently, heavily inspired by the Atom – but it's a badly designed, incoherent, awkward looking thing, in my opinion. It looks like it was lashed up in a shed by a man with a hacksaw. The Atom1 and Atom2 never came to market looking so rough or so unresolved – it had faults sure.

The Rocket ain't 'cheap' either – MEV want £18K (starting price) for a new one!
[/quote]

Sorry, I had only taken a look at the photo gallery and based my comments on the fact that I assumed it was a one-off for his own use.

Looking further into it I would have to agree with what you say as it is nowhere near a marketable standard. Heath Robinson springs to mind.

I would be very surprised if he sells many, if any at all, as you could pick up a secondhand Atom 1 at bthe moment for less than what he's asking, and I know which one I'd have.
Last edited by Alec on Sat May 05, 2007 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.