Standard Suspension, worth it or not?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Adam T

Standard Suspension, worth it or not?

Post by Adam T » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:16 pm

After opening a can of worms on the topic of brakes, i fear this simple topic may have a similar effect. So to narrow the debate some what, I just want to ask one question.  What is the Atom like on the road with standard suspension and does the more expensive adjustable stuff make a difference?  I am not bothered what the answer is with reference to the track as i already know the answer.  I would like to know if spending the extra money in this area would make a difference to the road handling and ride quality. :-\

Bruce Fielding

Re: Standard Suspension, worth it or not?

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:45 pm

I was looking at all the Atoms and drivers and driving styles on Saturday and they all have something in common - every single one is different!

Take EVERYONE'S advice and get a stock 160 with stock brakes and stock suspension. Then you can see what sort of driver you are and what you'd like more of... Unless you've held a race license for more than a couple of years, it'll be more than enough! In fact there's one for sale right now and you could have it tomorrow!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:07 am

I bought my Atom with stock suspension and then changed it for the best suspension later on.
On the road i could hardly tell the difference, apart from the two piece springs did stop a nasty vibration noise. Hope this helps.

p.s  at least if you want to upgrade at a later date you don't lose any money as the stocks are included in the price, where as the comp brakes you have to pay for.

Brakes are more important than suspension on the road IMHO

coxm

Post by coxm » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:36 am

Agree with Bruce:  buy a standard 160 and try it in the way you will use it.  Suspension makes a huge difference, but its only worth it if you are going to use it.  You'll only know when you try it out properly.

MC

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:50 pm

Thank you, its good to hear what people think and it has helped me make up my mind on what i am going to do. Cheers :)

blackie

Post by blackie » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:20 pm

The standard suspension is ideal on the roads, i've done 1600 miles or so in mine in a month and it's comfy, it handles well enough, and out handles anything i've ever driven. I haven't had it on a track yet but i guess if i'm going to do that regularly an updrade might be good, but for every day use on all road surfaces the standard set up is spot on, and the brakes work fine too!!!

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:39 pm

Do you have the standard brakes on your Atom? It's reassuring to know that you find them okay.

blackie

Post by blackie » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:44 pm

Brakes are standard as well, and they stop well enough so far. Never been in a situation where they have faded or failed to stop. I think you really only need the upgrades probably for the track, but not having dane that i couldn't comment. My megre budget couldn't stretch to fancy brakes and snazzy suspension, and i don't honestly think i'm missing them!!!

Adam T

Post by Adam T » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:38 pm

Thanks again, i thought this would be the case with the suspension.  I am going to stick with the standard stuff for a while and see if i need to change it.  The brakes however are a different issue again, i still can not work out what i am going for.  I really would like that handbrake, but rear Alcons aswell! :-\

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:23 pm

This is a line lock (as suggested by MC):

Press the brake pedal and then flip the line lock switch. Remove your foot from the pedal, and a solenoid maintains line pressure to the front brakes until the switch is released. Simple.

Costs about £25 plus fitting

They're mostly used by dragsters:

http://www.motorsportsdigest.com/tech/install2.htm

FAST BUCK

Post by FAST BUCK » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:25 pm

would it pass an MOT?

ross

Post by ross » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:37 pm

I wonder how much juice it takes out of the battery?

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:19 pm

[quote="FAST BUCK"]
would it pass an MOT?
[/quote]

Nope

AtomFun

Post by AtomFun » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:19 pm

[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[/quote]

I would suspect more than I'd feel comfortable with, especially as the Atom's battery is quite small and low on capacity.

Andrew Hobson

Post by Andrew Hobson » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:39 pm

[quote="AtomFun"]
[quote="Ross McWilliam"]
[/quote]

I would suspect more than I'd feel comfortable with, especially as the Atom's battery is quite small and low on capacity.
[/quote]

Only if you have it in use without the engine running.  I have found in the last couple of days when I have been running into work in the Atom in Holborn that with daily use there is enough to restart the engine (ie once its started and run for a few seconds) with the lights on.  This surprised me enormously.  So no problems once running.  can't see the point if it won't pass MOT though.