The Atom Video Thread - Post links to Atom videos here

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
anx10us

Re: The Atom Video Thread - Post links to Atom videos here

Post by anx10us » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:04 am

Fastest lap on Bedford GT track with opentrack on 11th August, standard Atom 4 320bhp, single bilstein, AP Front and Rear, Avon ZZS

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:10 pm

Great but that wind noise !!

Try using a remote mic - place inside a sock and put it behind the seat?
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:17 pm

John Scherrer wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:10 pm Great but that wind noise !!

Try using a remote mic - place inside a sock and put it behind the seat?
I'm learning !!, there may well be a setting on the GoPro as other Atom videos seem to have less wind noise, i'm also trying to figure out the best angle, finally i'm not convinced on the pannign effect that hyperboost on the GoPro adds.

Just found a solution - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linghuang-Wind ... 152&sr=8-3

Additions I think that would be interesting for analysis would be an OBD output for acceleration and brake, Heart rate Monitor and a slightly better GPS.

At the moment I use the GoPro Quik App to add the speed and track, however its pretty limited so would be interested to see what others do to combine video with external GPS data ...

reg

Post by reg » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:38 pm

Nice!

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:01 pm

Good stuff! :tu:

Modern GoPros without the old style waterproof case need a wind "sock" now though to reduce the wind noise. Makes a HUGE difference. There is no need for the hassle of an external mic. Not sure on the specific one but as linked above a foam "shell" is what i use.

If you want to compare check some of my vids posted earlier. Less wind noise, and more spool up and dump valve! 8)

I am also not a fan of the panning effect, but its up you. :)
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Peter255 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:01 pm Good stuff! :tu:

Modern GoPros without the old style waterproof case need a wind "sock" now though to reduce the wind noise. Makes a HUGE difference. There is no need for the hassle of an external mic. Not sure on the specific one but as linked above a foam "shell" is what i use.

If you want to compare check some of my vids posted earlier. Less wind noise, and more spool up and dump valve! 8)

I am also not a fan of the panning effect, but its up you. :)
Thanks for the feedback, i'll remove the hyperboost next time, your laps via GoPro look very stable, so i'll try without the stabilisation.

I'd like to add throttle and braking via an OBD adapter, I did try searching but cant find whether this can be done on the 4 ? I assume it can ?

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:41 pm

Posted these on the Facebook group but thought I'd pop them here for any non-FB users.

Took a couple of friends out in the Welsh Mountains and they made two very entertaining (IMO) videos :laugh:

A fairly normal one (Excuse my awkward-ass cameo where I describe the 'AP springs' :o) :

And possibly the most random Atom vid you'll ever see... :laugh:

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:03 pm

Very good, car looks awesome as well ...surprisingly the springs and brakes work really well in highlighter yellow ;-)

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:45 pm

AP 'Springs'? - looks rather like an Ohlin TTX to me?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:58 pm

autobackup wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:45 pm AP 'Springs'? - looks rather like an Ohlin TTX to me?
Correct, definitely Ohlins :laugh: I meant AP brakes but when the camera turned on my brain turned to mush ;D

Sommi

Post by Sommi » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:44 pm

Spent some time editing and loading some reactions and drive videos in to a compilation. It's not engrossing viewing by any standards but as I like to see similar done by others I had to do one🤓

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:17 am

Sommi wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:44 pm Spent some time editing and loading some reactions and drive videos in to a compilation. It's not engrossing viewing by any standards but as I like to see similar done by others I had to do one🤓
I always try to park at the back of any supermarket, parking at the front you must be there for ages .. "how fast" / "is it legal" / "how much did it cost" / "did you build it yourself" / "can i take a picture" etc ...

Some significant speed you are hitting there ;-)

Any details of GoPro setup ? I'm still trying to find the right balance of height, wide angle and stabilisation ..

Sommi

Post by Sommi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:09 pm

Thanks Anxious.
I have parked in parent and child bay. Always remember to take one of my kids so I can justify. Trips are very quick like to get a bag of charcoal or something. But yes, it does tend to gather crowds and if a parent asks or if the kid looks very enthusiastic I let them take a snap.

I try to keep to legal speed limits at all times. I never drive in mode 3 on road. It is very much a track day mode.
I looked at videos from other members here for setup.
I use GoPro suction mount between the two seats and a few of the mount extensions to raise the level.
Not using a GoPro to record though. Just a cheap Amazon action cam for fear of it being knocked just in case. Sound recording quality is bad though.
I have velcroed a small mobius with ok battery life just under the nose tip for more F1 like coverage. Works perfectly.

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:56 pm

Sommi wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:09 pm Thanks Anxious.
I have parked in parent and child bay. Always remember to take one of my kids so I can justify. Trips are very quick like to get a bag of charcoal or something. But yes, it does tend to gather crowds and if a parent asks or if the kid looks very enthusiastic I let them take a snap.

I try to keep to legal speed limits at all times. I never drive in mode 3 on road. It is very much a track day mode.
I looked at videos from other members here for setup.
I use GoPro suction mount between the two seats and a few of the mount extensions to raise the level.
Not using a GoPro to record though. Just a cheap Amazon action cam for fear of it being knocked just in case. Sound recording quality is bad though.
I have velcroed a small mobius with ok battery life just under the nose tip for more F1 like coverage. Works perfectly.
Thanks for the info, I assume you meant knicked rather than knocked !! I have a GoPro 8 Black which has a black housing which helps hide it against the black under the snorkle, but like you I do worry that someone would swipe it .. GoPro 4/5 are pretty cheap on ebay these days ;-)

Sommi

Post by Sommi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:13 pm

Yes I meant knicked.
GoPro 5 is good as has GPS which is good for overlay on any track recording.
Ideally I would like to not leave the car unattended for a long period and the way the camera is set it looks secured.
I might just get a GoPro as sound has been very disappointing on the cheapocam.