The Atom Video Thread - Post links to Atom videos here

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Peter255

Re: The Atom Video Thread - Post links to Atom videos here

Post by Peter255 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:26 pm

I stitch together the short clips from Quik together in a PC editing program (Davinci Resolve). Its kinda annoying the GoPro records in short segments.

In Quick i add the gauges, edit out wasted frames, create and save a clip. In PC video editing software i import the clips and stitch them together to make a longer seamless video.

Be careful with Quik though it seems to love chopping random bits off the end of clips for no apparent reason.

I never time on a track day. It is specifically prohibited on almost all public track days for good reason.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:28 pm

Silverstone GP circuit July 22
Run 1

Run 2

Run 3

Run 4

Thats all sadly...

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:50 pm

Peter255 wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:26 pm I stitch together the short clips from Quik together in a PC editing program (Davinci Resolve). Its kinda annoying the GoPro records in short segments.

In Quick i add the gauges, edit out wasted frames, create and save a clip. In PC video editing software i import the clips and stitch them together to make a longer seamless video.

Be careful with Quik though it seems to love chopping random bits off the end of clips for no apparent reason.

I never time on a track day. It is specifically prohibited on almost all public track days for good reason.
You seem to do a lot of track, do you experience overheating as well?

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:50 pm

speedmachine wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:50 pm
You seem to do a lot of track, do you experience overheating as well?
Yes. The car overheats towards the ends of the straights. Red temp light but it cools again in moments when you come off the power through corners etc. No ill effects just boost reduction.

I don't have the wings though with exacerbate the problem.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:31 pm

Castle Combe Track Day August
Run1

Run2

Run3

Run4 (no sound thanks you GoPro >:( )

Run5 (no sound thanks you GoPro >:( )

Run6

Run7

Spin Edit

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:19 pm

[mention]Peter255[/mention] what do you think caused the spin, too much throttle whilst you were still turning? I'm keen to learn from others as mine arrives soon and I am not used to lightweight powerful rear wheel drive cars

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:47 pm

PhilM wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:19 pm @Peter255 what do you think caused the spin, too much throttle whilst you were still turning? I'm keen to learn from others as mine arrives soon and I am not used to lightweight powerful rear wheel drive cars
Hi Phil, i got on the throttle too hard, with too tight a line as i was in too much of a hurry to get the pass done. The chap lifted early and indicated and i was hurried into an overtake on corner exit. I should have lifted a little and waited to unwind more lock before powering past. I used similar throttle to normal exit but on a significantly tighter exit to avoid the other car. Over-enthusiasm after getting stuck behind many others throughout the day. 100% my fault but i left lots of space so no harm done.

It is all too easy to get either annoyed by slower cars who don't move over and tempted into silly lunges (the red mist is REAL), or over confident and lose concentration. Other drivers and their un-predictability are a big issue. Expect the un-expected and leave a BIG gap always is my advice.

Take it easy to begin with, be smooth with all of your inputs, try to learn the cars capabilities somewhere safe (with runoff) and ideally get tuition. Treat the car with respect and you will be fine. Good luck. :tu:

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:34 pm

Thanks for the detailed response [mention]Peter255[/mention]. I totally understand your points about give people room and expect the unexpected, it is very similar advice I give to anyone new to 2 stroke karting. I'll apply a similar mindset to the Atom. Although Castle Combe is my local track, I think I will plan to start somewhere with a bit more run off, like Bedford 👍

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 pm

[mention]PhilM[/mention] Bedford is perfect for a first trackday, assuming its the GT track its one of the longest tracks in the UK, wide long straights, lots of high speed corners and loads of run off. Just watch the fast right into the pit straight, i've had a couple of moments later in the day when the tyres are hot, confidence has built, the back end stepping out at 90 is 'interesting' .. thats with ZZS so you may have stickier tyres ...

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:29 am

[mention]anx10us[/mention] Thanks for the comment. I know the corner you mean, I'll be on the same tyres, at least initially before I might move to the A052 depending on how many track days I end up doing. Generally how do you find the ZZS on the road and track, are they easy enough to get heat in them? I've read a few negative comments about the ZZR, but i've not seen much on the ZZS.

Mrlizard

Post by Mrlizard » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:09 pm

PhilM wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:29 am @anx10us Thanks for the comment. I know the corner you mean, I'll be on the same tyres, at least initially before I might move to the A052 depending on how many track days I end up doing. Generally how do you find the ZZS on the road and track, are they easy enough to get heat in them? I've read a few negative comments about the ZZR, but i've not seen much on the ZZS.
I quite the ZZR - I am however interested in the ZZS for road/wet trackdays as there isnt much grip in the wet with the R.

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:38 pm

Car Reviewer JayEmm's first drive in a borrowed Atom 3.5 310 :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEPgIqsryak
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:12 pm

Silverstone GP - Fantastic circuit, albeit a very exepensive trackday, lots of very quick cars, only road car quicker was a 600LT (probably) .. Awesome day, 3 hours in total on track, flawless, no over heating (low ambient), no brake fade, tyres held up well, loved doing loads of passenger laps ..

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:00 am

Video of my first outing on Spa-Francorchamps with the Atom earlier this week. 320hp, no aero, Avon ZZR, passenger on board...and engine was overheating in this lap...so restricted power as well. Big fun and more to come.

anx10us

Post by anx10us » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:42 am

abcoro wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:00 am Video of my first outing on Spa-Francorchamps with the Atom earlier this week. 320hp, no aero, Avon ZZR, passenger on board...and engine was overheating in this lap...so restricted power as well. Big fun and more to come.
Great lap, would love to go to Spa, shame about the coolant temps, those are some very long straights ...