The dreaded click

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Szabo

The dreaded click

Post by Szabo » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:23 pm

Been quite a pleasant weekend so thought I’d wrap up warm, run the atom up and blow a few cobwebs off it. It started instantly without hesitation I warmed it up for a few minutes then stopped it. Went to start it again and all I heard was the dreaded click.
Thought the battery was a little lazy so I went and got my boost pack, connected that to the battery and still just a click.
Just to rule out the battery being an issue I then charged the battery overnight and tried it again this morning and again just a click.
Tried the trick of tapping the starter and also turning over the flywheel a bit incase it was stuck or jammed and nothing.
I then bump started it down the drive and again it started instantly.
Thinking my starter is knackered I noticed the voltage on the dash is only at 11.6 volts yet I charged the battery overnight. I don’t have my multimeter at home to verify the actual battery voltage but I’m not suspecting a loose connection somewhere. I doubt both the alternator and starter have both dies at exactly the same moment.
Any ideas before I go pulling the thing apart
Thanks in advance

IanG

Re: The dreaded click

Post by IanG » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:02 am

Morning Szabo
The first thing and the simplest to do is check the battery once the odyssey battery goes flat it’s always a new battery
Ian

Szabo

Post by Szabo » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:42 am

Hi Ian

Of course, but I had a decent jump pack connected to the battery and it was still just a click when trying to start it.
I agree a new battery maybe needed but not sure it’s the cause of not turning over
Regards
James

Sledgehammer

Post by Sledgehammer » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:54 pm

Ground connections checked? Alternator/ Starter to the Frame.
I had some issues with these woven connectors in the past.
Atom 2 Supercharged - Atom Club Germany

mazza

Post by mazza » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:46 pm

Agree with Ian here, mine was doing similar, changed battery and was fine. Think once these batteries go flat, they’re pretty much gone.

IanG wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:02 am Morning Szabo
The first thing and the simplest to do is check the battery once the odyssey battery goes flat it’s always a new battery
Ian
2014 Atom 3.5 K20 Ohlins

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:33 am

FWIW, I've also seen someone hook up cable directly to the leads on the starter, and then tapping a battery with the other ends to see if the starter tries to engage. (Make sure car is out of gear, and parking brake is engaged). But this will tell you if the starter is any good.

Szabo

Post by Szabo » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:45 am

Update. Suspecting a loose connection, I spoke with Steve at the factory yesterday who confirmed my suspicions and pointed me in the direction of a small terminal box behind the seat/firewall bulkhead where the main positive lead splits between the starter and the alternator.
I fiddled with these connections and tried the starter and it started right up with over 14v from the alternator.
I still need to do a permanent repair but should a simple fix

Just a mention to thank Steve at the factory who, as always, goes out of his way to help out. Thanks.

James

Szabo

Post by Szabo » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:47 am

Here is the terminal box for info
IMG_3508.jpeg
IMG_3508.jpeg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 593 times

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:01 pm

Glad you found it - here's a (de-cluttered ! ) picture showing the terminal block with the cover open but only the main power cable connected.
Attachments
IMG_7484.jpg
IMG_7484.jpg (2.74 MiB) Viewed 587 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold