Calling Atom Owners!

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Ots7

Calling Atom Owners!

Post by Ots7 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:46 am

Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea of an Atom for a while. An extension on my house has given me the man cave I have always wanted for a toy.

The question is, do Atoms lose the fun after a few outings or are they as exhilarating each time.
Mine would be a weekend/nice weather car.

Also, are they actually useable on the road away from track?

TIA

markwetherall

Re: Calling Atom Owners!

Post by markwetherall » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:22 am

After over 11 years of owning Atoms (On my 3rd one now) I can very happily say no they never loose there excitement on the road. The Atom 4 is incredibly civilised on the road if you want it to be. I always book at least an 10 hour drive each year. Get yourself one, you will love it both on the road and on track.

mypresenttome

Post by mypresenttome » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:13 pm

I have had Atom, Nomad, Atom since 2010 and I still laugh out loud sometimes on the right road (if you can find one without mahoosive pot holes), being out in the open is such a different experience, passengers scream and squeal at being flung down the road, it is very addictive. I have had NA versions (Atom 245, Nomad 235 and Atom 270)and the induction noise is really special, the suspension is 'firm' on the road but that is the compromise for something so special. I can't wait to get out again once it has stopped bloody raining.

Try and get a passenger ride if you can, although not as special as driving (and being in control of the brakes) it still gives you a buzz.
Where are you?

Happy hunting.....

Ots7

Post by Ots7 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:08 pm

Thanks for both your inputs!

My first experience of the Atom was on a track day at Brands hatch (9 years ago) when a guy I met in the pits have offered me a ride.
A fantastic experience, especially as he was very confident in it. Since then, I have not been in one.

Any must haves / nice to haves on spec? I am looking at 3.5

I am south coast based (near Chichester).

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:04 am

Ha ha - you did well to hold out 9 years! It seems like a common theme amongst us that an experience day turns into a purchase!!
I sometimes wonder if Ariel put something in the water…. I’ve had my car for 3 years and it still gives me the “fizz” every time I take it out, I only use mine on the road & it’s still crazy fun.
If you like driving, get one & you’ll love it as much as we do, with the usual exceptions: it’s rubbish for shopping, not great in freezing weather, your significant other will love it or hate it…….. :-)

Ots7

Post by Ots7 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:48 am

It wasn’t an experience day as in a voucher, I was at a track day at brands with a friends Lamborghini and got talking to an owner in the pits. Either way, it was a fantastic experience compared to the laps I had done in the lambo.

It’s only a matter of time before I pull the plug.

I’m now just waiting for garage to be complete and then start looking. I’m hoping before June/July.

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:12 pm

A lot of people seem to buy Atoms in order to "scratch an itch" often because they saw Top Gear or because of an experience day and sell them within a year or even sooner. They don’t really depreciate, so the risk is minimal, hence so many having had multiple owners in a short period of time.

Atoms are an expensive toy - they have no practical use at all, and are not great when it is cold or wet. I only use mine for 6 months a year, so it is exciting getting it out each year and going for a blast in the Spring and Summer. I've had mine for 6.5 years so far and would only replace it with another Atom, or maybe a Nomad.

Ultimately you will only know once you've owned one.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

mazza

Post by mazza » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:32 pm

Fastlane wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:12 pm A lot of people seem to buy Atoms in order to "scratch an itch" often because they saw Top Gear or because of an experience day and sell them within a year or even sooner. They don’t really depreciate, so the risk is minimal, hence so many having had multiple owners in a short period of time.

Atoms are an expensive toy - they have no practical use at all, and are not great when it is cold or wet. I only use mine for 6 months a year, so it is exciting getting it out each year and going for a blast in the Spring and Summer. I've had mine for 6.5 years so far and would only replace it with another Atom, or maybe a Nomad.

Ultimately you will only know once you've owned one.
Lots of truths in this post.

If you’re used to having a “toy” that you only drive occasionally then getting an atom is a great option.

If you work out the cost per mile, even if you take into account minimal depreciation, then it’s still pretty expensive, but if you measure by smiles per mile not much gets close…

It all starts with your needs/wants…
2014 Atom 3.5 K20 Ohlins