"Normal" tyres ? No slicks etc.

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
K20A2

"Normal" tyres ? No slicks etc.

Post by K20A2 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:33 am

Just curious, whether anybody has ever tried „normal“ tyres on the Atom, so no semi slicks or similar like A052, ZZR, ZZS, AD08, RSR, T1R, AR1 etc...
Just "normal"/"simple" ones, perhaps even all-season or winter tyres.

If so what was the experience compared to the usual ones listed above?

plip1953

Re: "Normal" tyres ? No slicks etc.

Post by plip1953 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:03 am

They'll be just fine. Just stick to a decent brand. Maybe a PS4 or something like that.

Mrlizard

Post by Mrlizard » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:11 pm

ive ran ps4 (i think s) on it and they were fine, increased the pressure a little and made the car a bit understeery when pushing on. Driving down to the factory in the rain though was fine. Since used the ZZS and found them to be a nice compromise when the weather is dry or wet/road

abcoro

Post by abcoro » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:56 pm

Mrlizard wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:11 pm ive ran ps4 (i think s) on it and they were fine, increased the pressure a little and made the car a bit understeery when pushing on. Driving down to the factory in the rain though was fine. Since used the ZZS and found them to be a nice compromise when the weather is dry or wet/road
The Atom 4 will always be "understeery" when pushed...so that's no exemption...you'll need to direct the nose with the input from the rear. "Good" tires will make your life easier...

ZZR/ZZS...they are no good in any kind of circumstance in my eyes, the only benefit from those tires is the purchase price, there's nothing much more that this tire offers...very limited grip cold or warm, dangerous even for road use imho. Only good for going sideways/drifting...

Just try a Yokohama A052 and try to change my mind...different world.

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:16 pm

Just thought I'd chime in, the A052's are the future! - The difference between them and regular tyres is literally like night and day, they are even pretty good in the wet. The only downside is they are pricey (here) and they wear pretty quickly, but that aside I don't think there is a better allrounder !

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:47 am

abcoro wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:56 pm The Atom 4 will always be "understeery" when pushed...so that's no exemption...you'll need to direct the nose with the input from the rear. "Good" tires will make your life easier...
I disagree. Subtle geo changes combined with optimal tyre pressures and damper settings can transform the way a 4 handles.

But if you stick to factory geo recommendations you will most likely experience mild understeer.

K20A2

Post by K20A2 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:38 pm

Thank you.
So after 9 days for my understanding there us only one with own experience.

I already had AD08R, A048, ZZS and A052.
While the A052 is my choice for the warm time of the year, none of these tyres gave me confidence in cold conditions (no rain) and that was the reason for my question.

I thought, that perhaps a normal (winter) tyre would have reasonable initial grip for the colder days or at least would do better than a cold semi.
Unfortunately I already realised, that there are at least no winter tyres in the dimensions for the Atom 2-3.5 rears.

Ohio Enthusiast

Post by Ohio Enthusiast » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:08 pm

Unless you're planning on driving in snow, ice and slush a UHP all-season tires (like ExtremeContact DWS or Pilot Sport A/S 4) would be my choice. They will preform great in cold (including below freezing) dry and cool (above freezing) wet roads. Even performance winter tires (like Sottozero or Pilot Alpin) will feel worse and have less grip in dry conditions.
Plenty of reputable tests also confirm that summer tires perform well on cold dry roads, but I would go to UHP/Max/UUHP category (like Pilot Sport 4S) instead of the Extreme category (200 TW, like the aforementioned A052). On the other hand, if there is any chance of icy patches in shaded areas I wouldn't risk summer tires and opt to UHP all seasons.

MDifficult

Post by MDifficult » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:16 pm

Just to add my 2p... my 'all weather' Atom tyres (including sub-freezing celsius) cold and torrential rain (including 1" standing water on track) are Yokohama AD08RS. I've seen people rubbishing them as summer tyres and particularly as track tyres and I'll agree that they don't offer anywhere near the last word in grip but ARE friendly and predictable and last incredibly well.

But, as I say, I've personally used them in all weathers, atrocious conditions, freezing cold and they've been remarkably capable go-anywhere, do-anything tyres.

Hope that's helpful.