Is Atom (4) Reliable Over the Long Term?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
rider

Is Atom (4) Reliable Over the Long Term?

Post by rider » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:47 pm

Hello gentlemen. What are your experiences and thoughts on the long term reliability?

My ideal roadmap is to have Seven 420R and Atom 4. But, if I can't pull it off and if I have to choose one, I'm trying to determine what that might be. I've spent a lot of time reading through a ton of forum materials on both. The Seven scares me! The build quality and reliability are not in Seven's DNA. A 20-year old Seven seems to literally fall apart!! Atom seems to do far better. Yes, we need to meticulously maintain and replace old/fragile components as they age. If I do so, can I expect to be problem-free?

From now, I only want to buy a car/motorcycle that's gonna be with me till the last day of my driving life! I'm in my mid-50s; will stop buying cars in about 5 years, considering ICE-only will be done (at least the kind of cars I would be interested in). So, I need to very carefully spend my scarce financial resources on "sure" things! :wize:

Thanks; appreciate your thoughts.
-- Henry

-- '07 MV Agusta F4 -- '16 Boxster Spyder (981) -- '22 Miata Grand Touring -- '23 718 Spyder (982)

rider

Re: Is Atom (4) Reliable Over the Long Term?

Post by rider » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:06 pm

[mention]John Scherrer[/mention] : Could this thread be more appropriate for "General Atom Chat" section, for better response? If so, please move this. I didn't see it clearly before posting here. Thanks.
-- Henry

-- '07 MV Agusta F4 -- '16 Boxster Spyder (981) -- '22 Miata Grand Touring -- '23 718 Spyder (982)

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:59 pm

I don't believe it makes any difference but I've moved it anyway !
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

rider

Post by rider » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:20 am

Thanks. :)
-- Henry

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:08 am

Having owned an Atom 4 for 3 years and now just taking delivery of another Atom 4 I can say as a whole they are pretty reliable. It will really depend on what you use the Atom for. If you are just running it on track then expect to pay a couple of thousand a year on maintenance and repairs, it you only use it on the road then you are in the hundreds. Very well built and its a honda so very reliable. Just organised 25 Ariels on a track day and none of them broke down. However one of the Caterhams did so says it all really. Take the plunge you will never regret it.

rider

Post by rider » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:26 am

Thanks. Atom, 4 in particular, seems far ahead in terms of reliability and build quality. I'm a big fan of Honda powertrain. Have had couple of S2000s for about 18 years. Totally reliable, fun experience. My intended use is exclusively street. Not worried about the maintenance; I would work with an indie Porsche shop.

So, I will swing for A4. But, not withstanding the problems, Seven is an experience worth having too. However, I'll push it down the list after A4. Just need to make them happen before they both lose ICE!

Thanks again.

p.s. I'm surprised by lack of affirming responses on reliability and long term ownership! Wonder if the question itself is perceived to be offensive or something else.....! :vroom:
-- Henry

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:47 am

I think the lack of response is more a reflection of relatively quiet forum, than concern over reliability. I've done 6 trackdays and 3500 miles since I got my 4 in Nov 22 and I've had no reliability issues, except a loose connector on my reservsing camera, which I fixed in 5 mins. If you are unlucky and encounter a problem, the guys at Ariel are always quick to help.

rider

Post by rider » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:54 am

Thanks, Phil. Understandable. Glad to hear it is generally problem-free. The build quality could differ a bit between Ariel and TMI (US Builder). There aren't many 4s in the US to validate TMI's quality, yet. Will keep a watch. My timeframe is a couple of years out anyway; in fact, trying to time it to get my deposit in before the Civic Type R bows out (just uncertain about the powertrain after that).
-- Henry

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:24 am

I've owned my Atom for 9 years and driven it almost 20000 miles without it missing a beat - this includes a few track days and quite a lot of hill climbs and the only failure I've ever had was the immobiliser failing/dying - which was not a problem with the car itself

- after sourcing a new immobiliser and 15 minutes of work (plug'n play) it was immediately up and running again!

The only other issue I've had is having to replace all the fuel hoses due to the increased ethylene %age in modern fuels which 'ate' the hose rubber!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

rider

Post by rider » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:56 am

Wow, that's an impeccable record of problem-free run, [mention]autobackup[/mention] . Very glad to hear it. Thanks for sharing. Helps with my decision.
-- Henry

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:56 am

rider wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:54 am Thanks, Phil. Understandable. Glad to hear it is generally problem-free. The build quality could differ a bit between Ariel and TMI (US Builder). There aren't many 4s in the US to validate TMI's quality, yet. Will keep a watch. My timeframe is a couple of years out anyway; in fact, trying to time it to get my deposit in before the Civic Type R bows out (just uncertain about the powertrain after that).

They dont build anything, they are the same parts assembled by a different mechanic, but ariel UK has a batch of mechanics with different qualities as well, so apart from forgetting to torque wrench parts or forget to mount an engine or wheel, I dont see there being a difference.

I used my car 3500km now, did 5 trackdays, the last double header trackdays where 1000km away from my home and I drove there and back with no issues.
My car has the sequential box.

There is no low volume car producer with a better reliability status and I’ve owned about all of them (lotus 3-11, BAC Mono, ktm x bow, 3 ariels etc)

rider

Post by rider » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:34 am

[mention]speedmachine[/mention] : Good to know. Actually, it's great that the components are the same between both the versions since the overall quality of British model is high. We don't have much data from the US version since not many are on the road. Yeah, Atom can be usable well into ripe old age! Just what I'm looking for ....! :vroom:
-- Henry

dooke2000

Post by dooke2000 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:52 am

I have owned many cars and tracked all the fastest of them. Many of them suffered from breakdowns or great expense to keep up together. My son noticed the Ariel Atom's would come in refuel and go out again, so reliable.

I purchased my first Atom 4 in January 2021 and have covered 3500 miles, mostly track miles ( 2000 miles on track ). The roads by me are full of potholes. So this Atom has had 3500 of hard testing miles.

Front cycle wheel guards broke replaced free of charge by Ariel with stronger updated ones.
One suspension 5/8 rod end ( nsf upper ) replaced £82 including fitting.
None of the above stopped me tracking the Atom. Little bit of duct tape and more laps done.

The Atom is expensive to buy, but it holds it's value extremely well and expense to keep it up together when tracking, is relatively low. If you do not track the Atom, the expense will be minimal.

This Atom is very reliable and I believe it would go to the track and run all day with only stopping runs to refuel. This car is well suited for doing a 24 hour race. Build quality is extremely good.
Corvette 74 big block, Mustang Cobra Terminator, Focus RS mk3, Nissan GTR, Maserati Gran turismo mc sport.

mrpgkennedy

Post by mrpgkennedy » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:24 pm

I've had a 3 for 13 years now, the only thing that i've needed to replace that wasn't a wear and tear item is the the throttle position sensor which was intermitant and may have been down to lack of use but played it safe

I would expect the 4 to be better still

rider

Post by rider » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:42 am

[mention]dooke2000[/mention] : Impressively reliable track run indeed! Thanks for sharing. I don't plan to track. But, hope to be driving the Atom, spiritedly, right into ripe old age! Even if I need a walking cane!!

Thanks, [mention]mrpgkennedy[/mention] : Glad to hear the long, reliable track record. Very reassuring.

I'm totally convinced. Will be going for the 4R. Will wait for a year or two for the 4R to get flushed out. Will get the deposit in, probably by early or middle of '25.
-- Henry