A4 options list. Must haves? Can I add later?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
rich77

A4 options list. Must haves? Can I add later?

Post by rich77 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:41 pm

Is there a list of what people consider the bare minimum must have options on a new A4?

Are there options that cannot reasonably be retro fitted without spending vast amounts more than the original option cost?

markwetherall

Re: A4 options list. Must haves? Can I add later?

Post by markwetherall » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:42 am

It depends on how you plan to use the car. If it is on track then brakes, power upgrade and Traction control. Best thing to do is work out what you plan to use it for.

rich77

Post by rich77 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:04 am

markwetherall wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:42 am It depends on how you plan to use the car. If it is on track then brakes, power upgrade and Traction control. Best thing to do is work out what you plan to use it for.
I'd say 80% road, 20% track.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:29 am

If your budget allows:-
AP brakes
Power upgrade (Easy to add after but slightly more expensive if it is afterwards)
T/C and Boost are well worth it
Go for the best suspension your budget allows. MDS Bilstein were excellent on my previous 4 but my new one is having Ohlims so really down to your budget. Very expensive to fit afterwards.

What ever you spend you will get back when it comes to sell as practically 0 depreciation on the cars. If you are after 2nd hand there are a few cars that are really good value for money and some are over priced so be careful on prices.

If you are happy to wait a couple of months there are a couple of Ariel track Days at Anglesey in June. You could pop up there and speak to owners, look at the cars and specs and also grab a few passenger rides. If you are buying new get your deposit down with the factory and come up with everyone. Happy to have a chat if you need more help. Send me your phone no on pm. Always give Henry or Ben a call at the factory. They are just superb and will certainly help you especially if you are buying 2nd hand they know all the cars and can advise

PhilM

Post by PhilM » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:46 pm

All of the options at build can be added later, but usually cost a bit more, as at build the cost of the standard part offsets it a little and due to the additional labour to retrofit things.
Certain items are labour intensive to fit after build and therefore expensive i.e. baffled sump, which if you are going on track is recommended as it minimises the chance of oil starvation during hard cornering.
The standard car will be great, but if you are new to cars like this then I would recommend variable boost and traction control. A reversing camera also makes it a lot easier to manoeuvre as visibility behind is poor. The battery cut off switch although it seems quite expensive, it is a great added security feature, as is the removeable steering wheel. I have the standard suspension and it is fine on track and road.

rich77

Post by rich77 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:48 pm

markwetherall wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:29 am If your budget allows:-
AP brakes
Power upgrade (Easy to add after but slightly more expensive if it is afterwards)
T/C and Boost are well worth it
Go for the best suspension your budget allows. MDS Bilstein were excellent on my previous 4 but my new one is having Ohlims so really down to your budget. Very expensive to fit afterwards.

What ever you spend you will get back when it comes to sell as practically 0 depreciation on the cars. If you are after 2nd hand there are a few cars that are really good value for money and some are over priced so be careful on prices.

If you are happy to wait a couple of months there are a couple of Ariel track Days at Anglesey in June. You could pop up there and speak to owners, look at the cars and specs and also grab a few passenger rides. If you are buying new get your deposit down with the factory and come up with everyone. Happy to have a chat if you need more help. Send me your phone no on pm. Always give Henry or Ben a call at the factory. They are just superb and will certainly help you especially if you are buying 2nd hand they know all the cars and can advise
Great advice, thanks. I have had some email dialog with Ben already. I'm just down the road from the factory so Combe would be the closest track.

With used prices being so high, due to the long waiting list, it really is a dilema! I can wait a while so I am tending towards a new one, I've only ever bought one new car, but with used prices so good, it makes it a bit of a no brainer.

Maybe the best option is to get on the list with a deposit, buy a used car to run for a year and work out the best options!

rich77

Post by rich77 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:52 pm

PhilM wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:46 pm All of the options at build can be added later, but usually cost a bit more, as at build the cost of the standard part offsets it a little and due to the additional labour to retrofit things.
Certain items are labour intensive to fit after build and therefore expensive i.e. baffled sump, which if you are going on track is recommended as it minimises the chance of oil starvation during hard cornering.
The standard car will be great, but if you are new to cars like this then I would recommend variable boost and traction control. A reversing camera also makes it a lot easier to manoeuvre as visibility behind is poor. The battery cut off switch although it seems quite expensive, it is a great added security feature, as is the removeable steering wheel. I have the standard suspension and it is fine on track and road.
Cheers! I did think Traction control would be a sensible option!

Does anyone go DIY with adding options after purchase, or does that risk lowering resale too much?

Reversing camera and battery cut off being good examples that would not be difficult to add yourself...

Ben_payne

Post by Ben_payne » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:32 am

Mines pretty low spec and I am happy with the standard suspension, brakes and power output.

I wouldn't be without the TC though. It's a wonderful system.

Sent from my M2007J17G using Tapatalk

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:28 am

rich77 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:52 pm
Cheers! I did think Traction control would be a sensible option!

Does anyone go DIY with adding options after purchase, or does that risk lowering resale too much?

Reversing camera and battery cut off being good examples that would not be difficult to add yourself...
Nope, as easy as it is to add things yourself, it's far better to keep the Factory provenance if you can. It will definitely put people off buying a £60-70k toy if it's been fiddled with by someone they don't know.

The Factory has very good labour rates and they are brilliant with the cars and service.

Best advice is put down a deposit, buy a 2nd hand one for the 2-3 years you'll have to wait then you'll be able to nail your exact spec having some experience. You won't lose much if anything at all in the process.

Cheers,
Stu

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:34 pm

It doesnt NEED a lot of options, a low spec car will humiliate most normal cars on the road and track. So it really is the budget which decides what you need.

Everything you want at some point is cheaper at time of build, but things like wings or wheels are almost no difference.
350 package needs the decat which is between engine and bulkhead which is a pita to get at after build.
Flywheel, gearbox, those things are smart to do directly.
Brakes are the only actual required option I think as the price for the single piece ap is reasonable and it adds a lot.
Reversecamera is handy as well.

Traction was my biggest ???? And sooo happy i did it