Ariel 4 aerofoil

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
PhillipR

Ariel 4 aerofoil

Post by PhillipR » Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:57 am

Hi everybody,

Long time lurker, de facto newbie here. My build slot has been confirmed and so I am in the process of finalizing my spec. I have read pretty much all relevant threads and have a pretty good grasp on the spec (you could say the car is overspec’ed given the 70-80% road use), but the one thing I keep going back and forth on are the aerofoils.

From an aesthetics point of view I am torn depending on the angle you look at the car (I also simply admire the “original” look of the frame). From a benefit perspective I am unsure how much they add at typical non-highway speeds in relation to the added weight. Lastly I am unsure about how easy it is to „live“ with them, i.e. getting over speed bumps, kids standing on the from wing when parked in public, etc.

Would love to hear your thoughts/ experiences.

Thanks!
Phillip

Yorkshire

Re: Ariel 4 aerofoil

Post by Yorkshire » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:23 pm

I have an Atom 4 with aero fitted but my car is 100% track use it never goes on the road.

For road use i don't believe you would see any performance benefit it would be purely aesthetic.

So its whether you prefer with or without (i'm a with guy)

For track use the aero actually slows the car slightly in a straight line due to drag but the benefits in the corners outweigh the straight line speed loss.

Luckily the wings are a fairly easy add on after build but either way the cars are great and fast with or without wings

Hope this helps

Stuart

Corky

Re: Ariel 4 aerofoil

Post by Corky » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:25 am

I love the wings, that is why I spec’ed them. They don’t make the car lower, but it has a wider lower point, if that makes sense. I feel they give the Atom a much greater presence, first thing people say is it like race car.
They won’t add anything at everyday speeds, to be honest you won’t get near the limits of the Atom at everyday speeds.
Atom 4
Porsche 992 GTS