Atom 4. Oil Temperature?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
autobackup

Re: Atom 4. Oil Temperature?

Post by autobackup » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:14 pm

There are procedures in place in regard to the registered mileage should the dash need replacing or in the event of upgrading to a alternative display.

When I upgraded my 3.5 to the 3.5R spec I upgraded the dash at the same time and the original analogue dash mileage was recorded on the relevent invoice to become part of the car's FSH as the new digital dash started from zero again!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:38 am

Corten-Miller wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:46 am The mileage is built into the aim dash so this is the main reason it’s locked.
Whilst that's an entirely plausible explanation, I would also consider it a convenient excuse to hide at least one "massaged" parameter (ie road speed as displayed on the dash), but it makes me wonder if there might be others.

At least it's possible to log all the parameters that are actually registered in/by the dash (113 in total) using a AIM Strada Logger on a totally plug and play basis (as long as you already have fitted a GPS aerial and an AIM Expansion Module).

Interestingly, total mileage is not one of the loggable parameters, but per session mileage is. I think it's the same on the TCR car (Ben CM will know what I'm talking about).

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:42 am

What I was thinking, if the tacho says 5 miles per hour higher than reality, doesnt the mileage go up to fast as well? With an average of 40 mph it is 10+%

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:41 am

As I understand the UK regulations state that tachometers are permitted to overread by up to 10% (not mph) but no under-reading is permitted (for obvious reasons)

So most manufacturers ensure that their tacho's overread by a few percent

As it's a %age and not a fixed amount it's less of a problem than as suggested in a previous post!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:18 am

speedmachine wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:42 am What I was thinking, if the tacho says 5 miles per hour higher than reality, doesnt the mileage go up to fast as well? With an average of 40 mph it is 10+%

This is a screenshot of the five different "speed" items (there are also e further wheel speed sensor values) taken from the AIM dash logging file for a lap of Cadwell Park. Don't ask me why the kmh value is lower than the mph value! I believe the front left wheel speed sensor value is what the dash will display multiplied by around 1.05 (ie 5%).

I've no idea what drives the odometer value because that doesn't get shown on the logs.
Attachments
Five speed measures from logging file.jpg
Five speed measures from logging file.jpg (167.87 KiB) Viewed 1450 times

HenryJS

Post by HenryJS » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:04 pm

A very quick chime in for me here!

The dash is locked because the program is COMPLETELY different to 'normal' AiM programs. it has all sorts of different protocols and equations in it, to get it displaying correctly. So much so that any sort of change is pretty much a re-write of the whole program. And its months of work, not a couple days spent fiddling :)

Also - if you want oil pressure, it can be logged, and read on a computer, but not displayed on the dash board.

plip1953

Post by plip1953 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:14 pm

HenryJS wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:04 pm A very quick chime in for me here!

The dash is locked because the program is COMPLETELY different to 'normal' AiM programs. it has all sorts of different protocols and equations in it, to get it displaying correctly. So much so that any sort of change is pretty much a re-write of the whole program. And its months of work, not a couple days spent fiddling :)

Also - if you want oil pressure, it can be logged, and read on a computer, but not displayed on the dash board.
I understand what you're saying, but all that would be needed in this instance the click of a button enablement of a CAN Expansion Module (specifically a TC Hub), and this would have absolutely no effect on any other part of the OE configuration. Because that doesn't appear to be an option I've now had to spend several days proving a piece of kit from Ecumaster that will now talk to a Racelogic Vbox in order to display and log 8 additional temperature sensor outputs. There is no desire or need to display any of this additional data on the dash, which in any case most drivers barely look at.