New here and seriously considering an Atom 4

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
jensenracing77

New here and seriously considering an Atom 4

Post by jensenracing77 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:07 pm

I have been using the search but I just can't find what I am looking for. I have lots of questions and hope to not bore you to death with my rookie questions but I can't afford to make a mistake with this much money.

First, about myself, I am a hard core Oldsmobile person and have had many of them over the years. I was on Jay leno's Garage earlier this year with my latest car I restored. Sadly, I have to sell a car before I can build another one because I don't have the funds to keep them and build them. An Atom has been a unrealistic dream of mine for about 5 years. I simply do not have that kind of money but at least I am debt free. Well, this last car I restored I happen to have 3 guys wanting it really bad. It will be enough to put me in an Atom 4 if one of them follows through with buying my car. Possibly I am putting the cart before the horse but this is just questions at this point. I do not have much experience with on road racing but have a huge and successful past of MX racing and extreme freeriding with quads. I do have experience with speed and handling of older cars.

My primary use will be to enjoy it on smooth back roads away from towns. Unlikely to ever track the car. I am having a hard time seeing how to title and register one? It would be in Indiana. After it is registered in Indiana it should be legal in all 50 states I think??? We love going to the Smoky Mountains and think this would be great to drive around the mountains.

With my low budget after the purchase, how much is the maintenance cost on these cars in a year when only driving on the road 2000 to 3000 miles a year? Obviously the RPM's are run up high often even on the street so I know oil changes need to be done often. That kind of stuff is not my concern. I am just wondering if there are larger concerns like fast wearing tires or major engine or suspension maintenance that gets high priced with a short life span? From my mechanical and restoration background it don't look like there is anything that high priced when not racing it a huge amount.

If I were to get closer to putting money down on a build, is there any in the Indiana area that someone would let me sit in and my wife sit in. Maybe someone that would take me for a ride in one. I assume I could go to Virginia and they have them but they are over 10 hours away. I can do that for sure but thought if someone was already close to me then maybe that would work better.

Thank you so much for your time and help with these questions.

jensenracing77

Re: New here and seriously considering an Atom 4

Post by jensenracing77 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:02 pm

Just found that I need to be a club member to ask about registration, Sorry. Now, how to become a club member....

jensenracing77

Post by jensenracing77 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:32 pm

I joined the club. Is there a specific place to find the register threads

jaylatti

Post by jaylatti » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:37 am

The Atom 4 is awesome on another level compared to the 3 and can be run on a very low budget if maintained by yourself as I do .Everything is easy to replace. Just sort the gearshift and heat issues out space trim the pedals correctly for heal toe .The tillet carbon seats are way better than the standard seats. Definitely spec the ohlin shocks as they are awesome ! See my Facebook posts regards Jason Lattimore

FrankRizzo

Post by FrankRizzo » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:11 am

I don't have a 4, but I tracked a 2 hardcore for 2 years. During that time the consumables were "1 set of tires" (The ones that came on it were worn when I started), oil changes, and an air filter change. Oh, and a brake light sensor. It's very easy on tires because of the lightness. It's VERY easy on brake pads and rotors, because it's so light.

If you run into issues registering it, there's ALWAYS Montana. The groundwork has already been laid for you, you simple file the form online, pay the fees (Not much!), and they mail you a plate.

AndyG

Post by AndyG » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:01 pm

jensenracing77 wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:07 pm
My primary use will be to enjoy it on smooth back roads away from towns. Unlikely to ever track the car. I am having a hard time seeing how to title and register one? It would be in Indiana. After it is registered in Indiana it should be legal in all 50 states I think??? We love going to the Smoky Mountains and think this would be great to drive around the mountains.
Certainly Ive found my 4 to be a much better road car that the previous 3 & 3.5 I owned. I the Ohlins TTX dampers, and when popped on to the road settings, the car is way more compliant and better dampened than I recall in the past (and I once did Edinburgh to Lemans in 1 day in the last one!)

The dampers may be over kill if you arent going on track, but I suspect you'll chnage your mind with regards to that. They are so fast, its the only time you can consistently thrash them!

It also makes every journey an adventure
Atom 4 (prev 3 & 3.5)