First Track Day in Atom 4 Abingdon Airfield

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Rich

First Track Day in Atom 4 Abingdon Airfield

Post by Rich » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi all,

I have my first track day at Abingdon tomorrow and just wanted to ask some advice.

I am running the Ohlins suspension and in the Ariel manual it mentions to adjust for the track, does anyone do that or is it better to leave alone? Will have a passenger in the car aswell.

Also I am running the A052s, what pressures do people run on a track day? I am running the pressures as per the Ariel Manual at the moment but they are only for road.

Any other tips would be welcomed!!

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

911tom

Re: First Track Day in Atom 4 Abingdon Airfield

Post by 911tom » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:21 pm

Definitely adjust the ohlins to the track settings. It works by setting both adjusters all the way to the maximum + position and then counting the clicks back to towards the -.

Re tyre pressures. I alway go out and do a few laps on road pressures. Then as soon as you come in to the pits check the pressures. Drop them back down to the road pressures when hot. Remember before you go home if driving the car to put some more air back in. I usually make a mental note of how much I have taken out and then if the tyres are still hot from your last session you can essentially over inflate them by the amount you took out. They'll soon cool back down on the road, so will be back to normal pressures.

Have a good day, it's going to be a warm one! I've not been to Abingdon since Ariel.club arranged a track day there several years ago but its not a bad circuit at all for an air field / cone track.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:46 pm

The difference between road settings and track on the Ohlins is massive so definitely pop them on the recommended track setup. I do the same thing as [mention]911tom[/mention] for the pressures and it works well.

For general track day advice, I don't tend to head out immediately - you sometimes see a bit of carnage at the start of the day where people completely new to the track overexert themselves.

Abingdon is a fun one, let us know how you get on! 😁

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:20 pm

Thanks Guys re the advice on the suspension and pressures, did what you both said and it worked well. First track day experience was really good and did a hour with a race instructor which was so helpful and learnt lots.

I liked the track and booked again to go in September.

Only issue was in the afternoon I went out and car water temp hit 102c so I finished the track day then. (Air temp was 29c) drove it home and it was fine around 88c. Seen others complaining and I have spoken to Steve at Ariel and he is coming to back to me. (I have the full performance cooling pack as well as the 350bhp mod, with front and rear wings)

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:28 pm

Glad you had a good day. Instruction is the best thing you can spend your money on 👌

The car does run hot with the wings especially on a really warm day. 102 is not too bad - you'll still be able to lap normally and won't be limited. It's when it creeps above 105 I think is when the ECU starts to soft limit you. Certainly something the factory will have to solve for any future 4R variant!