Atom 2... supportable?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Hocky

Atom 2... supportable?

Post by Hocky » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:54 pm

I have been shopping for a Radical SR3, but came across an Atom 2 that isn't terribly far away and already titled (which presumably means I can just walk in and register it in Indiana). That is kind of interesting as it could be fun to use sometimes on the street and as a track toy. With the Radical being a real race car with very good support, I don't have any concerns about having issues/breaking parts. With the Atom 2, I am not so sure. Is it possible to get parts, whether for maintenance or break/fix? Obviously the driveline is a non-issue, but A-arms, panels, etc ?

atomiser

Re: Atom 2... supportable?

Post by atomiser » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:39 am

Yep, the factory and trusted indy such as cpl racing can support you. Unlike a radical with a bike engine, it won't require a 45min warm up routine every outing and an engine refresh every 40 hours - last time I looked anyway.

Yearly maintenance and possibly a DIY oil change in between if you are OCD. K20 engines are sensitive to regular maintenance.

If you drive it hard (track) be prepared for £2-3k per year maintenance.

We ran an atom 2 for 14 years and it cost £25+k in maintenance/replacement parts etc.

If it has the old mgf bearings it's worth swapping them out for the factory porsche ones, otherwise you go through a couple of those per year - not expensive to replace but make your day out a disappointment.

Fastlane

Re: Atom 2... supportable?

Post by Fastlane » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:28 pm

As I understand it, TMI do not specfically support the old Brammo built cars i.e. the Atom 2.

However, I believe that as with the UK-built Atoms, a lot of Atom 3 parts are interchangeable with the 2.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range