Scratching the Supercar itch

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Preseh

Re: Scratching the Supercar itch

Post by Preseh » Tue May 24, 2022 10:19 pm

The R8 is probably one of the best value for money sports cars around at the moment in my opinion. You get a hell of a lot of car for your money - a much better car than a Huracan for a fraction of the price.

richorme

Post by richorme » Thu May 26, 2022 1:29 pm

Another vote for the 720, ran one for three faultless years, the most astonishingly capable car.

Happy to cruise around town, equally happy to savage a race track, both done with equal brilliance, the suspension is witchcraft, it’s horrifically fast and piles on speed at a rate your brain struggles to keep pace with.

Amazing car.
Nomad 300, RS6, GR Yaris, 765LT, Transit Van.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Thu May 26, 2022 3:42 pm

Thanks [mention]richorme[/mention] that's certainly a front runner at the moment. The frustrating thing is how hot the supercar market is at the moment especially 720s. Looks like a good one will be £160k+ instead of the £140k+ 6 months ago. I've concluded it's just 'one of those things' and not out there is going to hold its value quite like the Atom does.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:57 am

'The suspension is witchcraft' love it.

Thanks Rich, I'll be quoting you!

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:00 pm

Preseh wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:33 pm I absolutely adore my Atom and have loads of great things planned with it this summer but there's something in the back of my mind that wants to scratch the supercar itch.

Most of my driving is on the road with the girlfriend and whilst she quite enjoys a summer blast, faffing with helmets and harnesses in cold and/or rainy conditions kinda spoils the experience a little bit.

So that got me thinking... Is there a car out there that can offer the wow factor of the Atom but perhaps with Aircon a roof, and a radio? Something that doesn't lose a horrendous amount in depreciation? I'd love to tick the supercar box whilst I'm in a position to do so but what on earth do you replace something as good as the Atom with?

Have any of you guys transitioned to/from a supercar or have one alongside the Atom? I've primarily been looking at Ferrari 458s, McLaren 600LTs/720s but I'd love to hear your thoughts! 🤔

My experience with supercars/regular cars since I owned my first Atom back in 2010 is that allthough the buying process and attention you get is nice, also nice that you've get some creature comforts and people stop asking if you build the thing yourself. But I learned that you'll always want to return to something really light.
Since than I owned 2 dodge vipers, a nissan GT-r and lots of other stuff, also tried other lightweights like an Xbow, Bac Mono and now a 3-eleven, but nothing beats the fun focussed driving experience of the Atom.
All the mentioned "real cars" feel very very big and bulky and you'll always think things could be much faster, more fun and more experience. Even the 3-eleven feels to big and heavy🤪

my solution is to buy 2 cars, now have an atom 4 on my way (my third atom, so its proven, you'll get back in one) and an other car with roof and driving fun alongside for bad weather days, trips with the lady or for when you just dont fancy getting blown away...literally

I opted for a GR Yaris now and the plan is to keep the Atom and upgrade the GR for something more expensive every year untill I have a supercar ánd the Atom...

my advise would be to keep your well specced and stunning atom and buy something alongside, or save up untill you can

RayC

Post by RayC » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:51 am

/Users/Ray/Desktop/IMG_2672.jpg
I've had my gen 2 V10plus for some years now and still love it . It may be a bit of a junior supercar but ticks all the boxes for me ..Audi reliability and reasonable running costs, clocking up mileage not such an issue ,not too flash , the 4 wheel drive can really put the power down and the na V10 is amazing.
At least try one out.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:35 pm

[mention]speedmachine[/mention] that's a good point and you're right. I love my two car garage at the moment - Atom and Tesla Model 3 Performance. The Tesla is quite fun to drive in its own way and is a complete contrast to the Atom.

Unfortunately I haven't got enough room to get a third card unless I rented a garage or lock up.

[mention]RayC[/mention] I've heard the latest R8s are amazing bits of kit and the performance for value is fantastic. Certainly one to consider 👍

RayC

Post by RayC » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:03 pm

This is a tight garage lol
Attachments
B84CAD47-13B2-49C2-A5C6-47BB18182CF4.jpeg
B84CAD47-13B2-49C2-A5C6-47BB18182CF4.jpeg (3.89 MiB) Viewed 808 times

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:13 pm

I have a 458 as well. I have no experience of the 720S but I imagine the transition is the same. Sometimes, you just need a roof. And aircon. And a stereo. Not to mention a windscreen and no helmet. And the opportunity for similar eye popping madness and a drivetrain soundtrack that makes your face hurt because your fixed grin goes on too long. I commend the experience as a counterpoint to the Atom which is similarly mad. Also, and this may be heresy, but I prefer a 9000 rpm n/a experience to the turbo one just in terms of the drivetrain.

458 and Atom on same road

Alex1

Post by Alex1 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Yes! I have a 2015 V10 Spyder which I’ve had for nearly 3 years and I’ve covered 13,000 miles in that time. Quick, comfortable, sounds amazing and is (relatively!) cheap to run. Also it’s surprisingly practical and very good value. I can’t bring myself to change it so just bought a Nomad last week as a left field totally different addition to the garage, a rather different driving experience so far!! Good luck! 😊

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:34 am

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:13 pm I have a 458 as well. I have no experience of the 720S but I imagine the transition is the same. Sometimes, you just need a roof. And aircon. And a stereo. Not to mention a windscreen and no helmet. And the opportunity for similar eye popping madness and a drivetrain soundtrack that makes your face hurt because your fixed grin goes on too long. I commend the experience as a counterpoint to the Atom which is similarly mad. Also, and this may be heresy, but I prefer a 9000 rpm n/a experience to the turbo one just in terms of the drivetrain.
I love the 458. It probably falls into the usable power bracket before everything started getting bonkers. That soundtrack is unparalleled too!

The main thing I'm concerned about at the moment (and I appreciate that I'm going to lose money on all of these cars) is how expensive everything is compared to even 6 months ago. A really good 458 now looks to be in the £160k+ range. Decisions decisions!