New trailer and some questions

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Rooney1000

Re: New trailer and some questions

Post by Rooney1000 » Thu May 26, 2022 5:27 pm

found it !
Attachments
PXL_20220526_171925577.jpg
PXL_20220526_171925577.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 449 times

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu May 26, 2022 5:49 pm

Rooney

I had my PRG trailer specifically built for my Atom and I usually tow it facing forwards - looking at your trailer (which is quite big) I think you would find towing facing forward about 12% -14% more economical than towing it facing backward.

If you loaded it as far forward as possible, to my eye, I think the engine would be more or less directly above the trailer's rear axle which means you shouldn't get the 'tail wagging the dog' problem - if you do find it tail wags - to stop it just smoothly slow down preferably WITHOUT USING THE BRAKES if possible!

The photo (below) of my Atom and trailer was taken at the Paphos Classic Car Club Motor Show last Sunday 22/05/22 - I had just released the hydraulic tilt and locked the bed in the towing position and was walking towards the rear of the trailer to stow away the ramps!
Attachments
Ariel Atom 3.5R - Paphos Motor show 3.jpg
Ariel Atom 3.5R - Paphos Motor show 3.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 447 times
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:42 pm

Thanks. Looks nice weather !

You think mine is ok to tow like this though, efficiency aside ! Just that it's on and strapped now so don't want to take it off unless essential !

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu May 26, 2022 11:34 pm

Rooney

Absolutely fine.
- criteria is that most of the towed weight should be over or in front of the trailer axles/wheels - the trailer nose weight (weight pressing down on the car towball) should, as a rule of thumb, lie somewhere between approximately 5% to 7% of your trailer's gross laden weight.

It becomes difficult/dangerous to tow if there is more weight weight aft than on or in front of the trailer wheels/axles. Fishtailing is generally caused by more weight loaded behind the trailer rear axle at the rear of the trailer than between the trailer rear axle and the towing vehicle!

Generally double axle trailers are inherently more stable to tow (less prone to fishtailing) than single axle trailers.

The maximum permissible nose weight allowable for your particular trailer should be shown on your trailer specification plate and for your car towball in your car manual (or on line!)

Before setting off it's always worthwhile checking that your vehicle insurance policy actually covers you for towing a vehicle on a trailer - some of the low cost insurance policies don't - if cover is not offered as part of the general policy cover it may be offered as a chargeable 'optional' extra!

Finally :
"......Speed limits for cars towing caravans or trailers: 30mph limit applies on all roads with street lighting unless signs show otherwise. 50mph applies on single carriageways unless signs show otherwise. 60mph applies on dual carriageways and motorways......"

Trailers are also banned from using the 3rd (outside lane) on 3 lane motorways in the UK!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:24 am

Thanks - tow down on Friday as perfect, no issues at all and dropped the car off at the factory for its service. Few days camping now and then pick the car back up on Tuesday.

Cheers

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Sun May 29, 2022 11:57 am

Hope that the weather's good for your camping 🏕️!

It's a hotel with a comfortable bed and decent restaurant for me everytime!
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)

Rooney1000

Post by Rooney1000 » Sun May 29, 2022 3:52 pm

Haha - VW California for me, good support vehicle for the atom !!