Cat S 3.5 on YouTube

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Re: Cat S 3.5 on YouTube

Post by John Scherrer » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:48 pm

A warm welcome to the forum Jack and what a great first post !

We're all a bit of a 'different' bunch - well you must be to want to own such a car and be so passionate about Ariel's products !

I don't think anyone else has posted videos about repairing damaged Atoms in the way you guys are doing it. In any case, whatever people feel about it, I'm pretty sure that they'll be watching your videos and taking a close interest in your progress.

There's plenty of information on here and a wealth of experience with the forum members - it's not always easy to find as the search options are somewhat limited with our forum software.

Some of the more technical information can be found if you join the Ariel Club (£30) when more sections of the forum are available along with other Club member benefits.

The factory managers - Tom and Henry - are also members and do monitor the forum and also someone from Arch - Thewelder (see above). If you have any questions just ask away and we''ll do our best to help out.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

IanG

Post by IanG » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:32 am

As of making my mind up I haven’t
I can only apologise for not seeing the message
Technology is great when it works

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:44 am

JDixn wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:10 pm
Secondly, I also find it interesting that people are leaving comments giving their opinion, when clearly they're not qualified to have that opinion (the curvature at the rear of newer chassis') and then claiming its a "complete write off to my UNTRAINED eye", followed by someone chomping at the bit for us to dismantle the car and sell the parts to them - this isn't a dig at them, it just seems redundant.
Finally, I do want to mention that privately we have actually had a lot of messages of support, offering parts, contacts and constructive advice, which we do appreciate (and have responded to everyone!)

Jack.
Hi Jack, I think you've rolled a few peoples comments in to one here - I mentioned it looked like a complete write off based on the apparent damage to the frame not the shape of the chassis, but I'm not a mechanic hence the "untrained eye". I have owned and maintained a car for a couple of years though, so I at least know what the back of the frame used to look like.....

I then also cheekily mentioned you parting it out because I'd love to buy some of the unbroken bits to upgrade mine - maybe a little redundant given where you are going with the Youtube repair project but only half-heartedly & this is the internet after all.

Good luck with the repairs - look forward to seeing more of the progress!

P.S. I'm not rich ;-)

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:02 am

Latest instalment, which has a lot less banter and as a result I think is a lot more informative. The comparison of the Ariel parts vs Skunxworx is interesting. I am also looking forward to seeing the result of the carbon fibre wing repairs and how much they have to pay for these.

2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

Luckky

Post by Luckky » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:09 pm

I found this thread really interesting, I personally love the fact that some here have differing comments as that is what drives a good debate and a vibrant, active forum.

[mention]JDixn[/mention] I love the fact that you have come on here and given your views and I really like the fact that you’re giving it a go, keep going! I spent years saving for mine, my dad was a coal miner and I’ve earnt every penny that’s gone in to mine so no, we aren’t all rich. I laughed when I heard the tongue in cheek comment so don’t worry too much, I took it for what it is…. I’m sure that will be corrected in the next video of course :)

[mention]hamtt[/mention] i do hear you, I think we all need to ensure that we keep giving opinions whilst encouraging others to share theirs rather than shutting down conversations. We have lost really driven and active members down to this and I will publicly stand with hamtt on that point, well done for being brave enough to call it.

I don’t seem to get too many replies when I post but would love to hear your views?

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:12 am

[mention]JDixn[/mention] Enjoying your videos. Thanks for doing and sharing with everyone on here

R1SKJ

Post by R1SKJ » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:38 am

Big kudos to you Jack. Hope you and your team build a mega business from your passion.

Chicagomax

Post by Chicagomax » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:46 am

Appreciate the videos, Jack! My only suggestion is to try a different mic option as sometimes it’s hard to hear you all speak. But really love it and wish there were more folks posting vids of diy activities on atoms; thank you!

Fastlane

Post by Fastlane » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:27 am

Latest instalment. I see the previous owner very generously supplied the spare carbon bonnet and aero screen dash to them for free. Interesting that they had problems with the thread on the new Ariel-supplied lower suspension arm and I agree that if the factory know there's a problem with the threads, then they should run the tap through each one before it's sent out, or reimburse the cost of having to buy a tap yourself.
2008 Supercharged Atom 3, Tesla Model 3 Long Range

reg

Post by reg » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:45 pm

Clowns.

It was quite fun at the start, but now, it is obvious this has to be some sort of joke?

reg

Post by reg » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:09 pm

hamtt wrote: I know what you mean about the Rich C comment...... I can only assume it was a knee-jerk reaction to the response they had had from the facebook/forum comments.
So why, in the latest upload do they continue?
hamtt wrote: The fact of the matter is there seems to be a huuuuge disparity of what the general population think and what "select" vocal Atom owners think which makes all Atom owners look bunch of pompous twits. All you have to do is look at the comments on their Youtube Video, which all seem pretty positive. And then look at the comments on here and the facebook group and it's the complete opposite. If that doesn't tell you something then you're living with your head in the clouds.
Obviously, you have a vested interest in this? That aside why is it any kind of problem for some to have a very negative view of what they are doing, is the measure of things because their YoofTube subscribers think that they are 'good lads'?
hamtt wrote: Do an acid test, go on to a MX5 owners club and put up that you that you've just bought a written-off MX5 that you want to fix and get back on the track and need help and advice, and watch the response. People will be actively wanting to participate and contribute. That's what makes a community welcoming, not the closed rank dismissiveness that comes out from this "community".
As has been said, they started out on the wrong foot, and IMO continue to poke fun at owners, the forum, the factory. As something approaching an 'engineer' it's pretty obvious this is little about 'enthusiasm' and everything about getting hits. The frame is FUBAR, although it's been lovingly hit with a hammer and will now receive some filler the impact of the crash is going to have damaged it beyond repair. It's not a 120 hp MX5 track mutt, it is a 300+ HP, 600 KG car, those numbers deserve slightly more respect than a slide hammer and some Isopon :pop:

I can't imagine sharing a track with them, what happens if something lets go? It's all good fun then eh?

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:01 pm

This latest episode is embarrassing & frightening in equal measure.

Cheers,
Hedge

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:03 pm

I'm with Andrew...
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:16 pm

The real question, is would you purchase this car knowing its history?

hamtt

Post by hamtt » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:57 pm

reg wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:09 pm So why, in the latest upload do they continue?
If you actually listen to what they say, they refer to their previous comment and say they don't mean the C word but still consider rich, going off the invoice that they're reading out. For most people paying over £200 for locking wheel nuts to be taken off is an extortionate amount, most tyre shops will do it for significantly less. And £800 does sound excessive for transport but it obviously depends on location, but I had an Atom shipped over from Ireland to Manchester a couple of years ago for a third of that.
reg wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:09 pm Obviously, you have a vested interest in this? That aside why is it any kind of problem for some to have a very negative view of what they are doing, is the measure of things because their YoofTube subscribers think that they are 'good lads'?
If you mean financial interest, absolute none. I only became aware of it after they'd already purchased some parts from me and someone posted the video on Facebook. The first time I spoke to them myself was when they'd already made the last video and wanted to return the suspension parts. If you mean inquisitive interest, hell yes, I'm interested in learning anything new I haven't picked up already on these cars.

You can have whatever opinion you want but like I said in my first post, it's a repetitive pattern I've seen for the past 10 years with. The "holier than though" crew i referred to earlier start pointing fingers and it stifles anything productive or different from happening outside the narrative of what the factory dictates, and many owners have just walked away.

Just because you own an Atom it may make you unique, but it doesn't make you special. So by all means have whatever opinion you want but be respectful of the fact others are entitled to their opinion too, and just because their opinion may be different to your or the factories it doesn't make it any less of an opinion.

My grievance isn't how this lot are being treated, but just generally how anyone that does anything different is treated by said members. I've never had an issue with going toe-to-toe with anyone I disagree this, and you can search back through the years and read my various clashes with Tom and other memebers, but the fact is most people just shut up and walk away and it's contributed to the errosion the forum.
reg wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:09 pm As has been said, they started out on the wrong foot, and IMO continue to poke fun at owners, the forum, the factory. As something approaching an 'engineer' it's pretty obvious this is little about 'enthusiasm' and everything about getting hits. The frame is FUBAR, although it's been lovingly hit with a hammer and will now receive some filler the impact of the crash is going to have damaged it beyond repair. It's not a 120 hp MX5 track mutt, it is a 300+ HP, 600 KG car, those numbers deserve slightly more respect than a slide hammer and some Isopon :pop:

I can't imagine sharing a track with them, what happens if something lets go? It's all good fun then eh?
Then I suggest you're insured for track driving and if you're really that scared of driving on the same tarmac as anything that's accident repaired then I suggest you sell all your cars and get a horse and cart.

The frame may well be not fit for the car but like I said before. I know at least ONE person that's been negative that actually has a car that was frame damaged worse than this and had a tube section replaced at the rear replaced. I also know of at least two other Atoms that have had front-end impact and tubes repaired near the front suspension that have been repaired outside of the factory. At least theres 100% transparency on this and no-one's being duped.

And looking down at "120 hp MX5 track mutt" owners really doesn't do you any favours. Refere to my earlier post re "pompous twits".
My website: Skunkwurx - Create an account and PM me for forum member pricing
Ariel Atom Parts and UpgradesRace Technology Dash2