electric water pump setup?

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
texevora

electric water pump setup?

Post by texevora » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:15 am

I'm the owner of a US-spec Atom SRA (K24Z7-powered track-only Atom3 variant). I've been having constant overheating issues since the day I bought the car new, and just found out that the UK Atoms have a completely different cooling system setup than the US ones (grrrr).

Can any of the UK owners elaborate on how the dual electric/mechanical water pumps are configured on the UK-spec Atom 3? i.e. which electric water pump model, and how it's plumbed into the system? If you're able to post photos, that would be even better and greatly appreciated.

Also, do the UK-spec Atoms also have a "hollowed out" thermostat housing (ie no actual functional thermostat is on the car) with 2 of the ports intentionally blocked off?

I am hoping that getting my US Atom SRA to match the UK-spec cooling system config will address the overheating issues once and for all.

Atlarge

Re: electric water pump setup?

Post by Atlarge » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:07 am

I don’t know much about the k24 variant but have a k20 atom 3 which has the EWP setup installed as part of the supercharger option I believe. I don’t think it was fitted in the UK as standard kit (maybe someone else knows).

On my car it’s attached to the bottom far left of the engine if looking from the front towards the rear and is a Davies Craig part that looks a lot like the 80 LPM version but I’m not 100% sure. Electrically it appears to be joined to the operation of the radiator fan, possibly using wiring from the same relay but difficult to tell without a wiring diagram etc.
It’s plumbed to the engine and the aluminium radiator down pipe on my car using flexible hoses but I don’t know exactly from where.... I’m sure the factory would help though and happily supply you the parts ready to go?

I don’t think the EWP alone will be enough to solve your overheating problem though..... I live in a moderately hot climate and had issues on hot days (38c +) still with it included on my car. You’d maybe be better served by upgrading the radiator as mentioned in a few other threads on here, I went that route and it resolved my temp. Issue.

I’d post a pic but have the car in storage for the winter - maybe someone else has a pic of the setup floating about?

Good luck!

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:42 am

Atlarge is correct - the EWP is fitted as part of the Supercharger option and by itself won’t fix the overheating issue.

Its main function I believe, is to prevent localised water boiling that would not only introduce dangerous hot spots that could lead to a warped cylinder head but it would also cause air to be trapped in the system.

This is probably only an issue on track when drivers don’t do a slow down lap before pitting.

The EWP is likely enabled via the fan thermostat and it’s designed to run on a while on initial engine switch off until the engine metalwork / water has cooled sufficiently to stop boiling/cavitation.

I have some pictures but not on this iPAD, will look them out and post later.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:07 am

Not sure if this shows enough detail - taken at NEC Autosport Show Jan 2013 - Ariel's show car
Attachments
20130113_EWP.jpg
20130113_EWP.jpg (908.66 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

autobackup

Post by autobackup » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:23 am

Texevora

I solved, with the advice of Steve at the Ariel UK factory, any overheating problems by retrofitting an Atom V8 radiator and oversize fan to my 3.5R.

I have my Atom in Cyprus where the summer temps regularly get up into the middle 40s deg C (113 F) - I've had no overheating issues ever since.

- I'm sure that you could source one from the UK factory (at a price!!) - there are no modifications required as it simply replaces the stock radiator!

Alternatively TMI might be able to get one for you?
Atom 3.5R (Cyprus)
Honda CRV 2.2 Ex Auto i-DTEC (Cyprus)
Suzuki Celerio 1.0 SZ4 (Cyprus)
Honda CRV Ex I-MMD eCVT Hybrid (UK)

texevora

Post by texevora » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:45 pm

Thanks all for the information, super helpful. I spoke to Henry and Steve at Ariel UK and they've suggested I try the UK dual-pump config before trying to change out the radiator. Fingers crossed this finally solves my long-standing issues!

Atlarge

Post by Atlarge » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:06 am

Good luck - let us know how you get on!