Hi / To be New (2023..) Atom owner

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
CharlesM505

Hi / To be New (2023..) Atom owner

Post by CharlesM505 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:55 am

Hi Everyone,

As per the title I should be in the order list for an Atom 4 (Going to place the order tomorrow), with a c28month lead taking me to 2023 delivery.

As a bit of background, I currently have a BMW M140i (spec for those interested, LSD, Litchfield stage 2 450hp, M4 LCA's, chassis stiffening and brake upgrades (track wheel set with Nankang AR-1's)) and as a proper boy's toy a Tony Kart (Rotax Max) go kart. I live in SE London so not the best local roads but Kent / the south have some good roads there.

I'm after something which delivers a truly exciting driving experience, and feel the Atom will deliver this and more! Likely be 50 : 50 road / track, with most road being in the form of European road trips.

I take the BMW on track, although for an authentic and raw experience the Tony Kart is fantastic. I believe the Atom will be the grown up road going version of that!

Spec wise, my early thoughts are -

Essential (for me):

1) LSD
2) Lightweight Flywheel - Given how quick the racing engine revs up in the go kart, I think I would miss this if the car felt laggy.
3) Baffled Sump
4) AP Racing upgraded brakes
5) Stainless steel fittings on brake/clutch
6) Cockpit adjustable brake bias
7) Quick release steering wheel
8 ) Towing eye kit F+R
9) Stainless Steel fixings all round
10) Machined aluminium wing mirror
11) Aero Screen
12) Locking fuel cap
13) 12v USB socket
14) IVA/Road tax

Needing more information/to decide:

1) Dampers - which will be best. I'll have to visit the factory and make an informed decision later. However...I do rather like the yellow/grey look (think the car Chris Harris drove for top gear), and the Ohlins would complement that...

Funnily enough it was the early videos of Harris driving an M135i that make me get the M140i, so his videos seem to work on me from a marketing point ;D

2) Uprated cooling package - As talk of the forum has shown some members feeling this is necessary for UK summer track use?

3) Fire extinguisher and track day lap timing would seem complimentary for my intended use

4) The 350hp map, while appealing - this can be added later so I'd be inclined to try the car in stock form first and spend on items more difficult to retrofit. Equally, 320hp may be more fun on the road if you can extract more of it, more of the time? Equally, does the Decat and sports cat make the car too loud for tracks such as Bedford with lower dB limits? (87.5 static, 101 drive by)

Wait time - Yes, waiting until 2023 does seem like a while but after an extensive (and still ongoing) house renovation which i'm sure the girlfriend isn't finished with yet i'm comfortable with this.

I need to try and get some time in May/June to go down to the factory, but super excited to be joining the community. In the meantime until delivery I hope to be able to attend a few events as a yet to be owner! Looking forward to meeting others in due course.

Cheers,

Charles
Wait list for Atom 4, Lotus Exige 420

devonatom

Re: Hi / To be New (2023..) Atom owner

Post by devonatom » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:05 am

Hi Charles - good to hear that you are about to place an order. I did so earlier this year and managed to get the factory at the end of last week for a look around and a trip in the demo car with Tom - everything I had hoped it would be!! Funnily enough I also have a M140i at present and it felt a bit of a barge on the drive home after having been in the Atom... ;)

Sure some others will be able to help you on the options queries but from chatting with Tom and Ben at the factory, they did suggest the uprated cooling package was recommended (though not essential) if you go for the 350bhp upgrade and it is much easier to spec at the outset rather than upgrade to at a later date.

Also, if you are doing track days, they suggest the sports exhaust is too loud for most tracks - better to spec the standard one (or get both as an option).

Roll on 2023... ;D

robfitz

Post by robfitz » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:29 pm

Hello Charles

Speccing mine in the next month or so for delivery this summer. I’d be minded to get the things that are more expensive to retrofit first (eg the 350 upgrade) and just add bolt ons like the extinguisher and lap timer later.

I’m absolutely with you on the lightweight flywheel and the uprated intercooler, need to have a chat with Tom about the radiator.

Also had a couple of M135is over the past 7 years after seeing the Harris review of the pre LCI car in 2013 though yesterday picked up my GR Yaris to replace it.
GR Yaris CP for when it rains, Atom 4 for when it doesn’t.

Preseh

Post by Preseh » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:23 am

Welcome! The wait is agony but it's a fun journey speccing your car and getting everything to your liking.

Rotax max are awesome fun. You've made a good choice to order a road legal gokart to compliment it ;)

One thing I'm very happy with which I didn't originally have spec'd is the 3 stage boost controller. For me, in map 1 (220bhp) you can really explore the whole rev range of the car when blasting through twisty B roads whereas on map 2 and 3 (both 350bhp but different torque curves) you have to be much more careful with the throttle otherwise you're either spinning the wheels in or travelling WAY past the speed limit :laugh: In map 1, I can get home from a drive with the girlfriend and she's borderline enjoyed it. Map 3, she's absolutely fuming ;D

I've not experienced a 320bhp car but from what I've heard, the 350 is noticably quicker. As you said though, you can always upgrade at a later date.

The Ohlins are fantastic on the road and offer the most adjustability for track work - very desirable as well so a sensible albeit pricey option to tick.

I spec'd the uprated radiator based on some of the feedback from people on here. I haven't tracked mine yet so can't comment but possibly one to consider if you're spending a lot of time in hot places.

Track day lap timing could be worth it if you're looking to really nail that lap time but something like Harry's GPS Laptimer app does a great job and could save you some cash.

CharlesM505

Post by CharlesM505 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:17 pm

Thanks everyone, called up this morning and have made the order!

Ben did recommend to me the upgraded cooling package and if going for 350hp better to do so on order due to the different parts being fitted in the exhaust system which is more hassle to retrofit. Well...350hp it probably will be then :vroom:

Agreed re lap timing - Can always get that later and did want to keep the build around £55k (however optimistic that was!). Seeing a motorbike at the supermarket this weekend with Ohlins suspensions was also rather eye opening of how exquisite it looks, not to mention adjustability.

Interesting point on the boost gauge too :roflp:

I am surprised over the stainless steel fixings, would have thought that would be standard on the car if the normal ones do actually visibly rust?
Wait list for Atom 4, Lotus Exige 420

wasp

Post by wasp » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Charles,
That looks like a sensible starting point, between now and final confirmation you'll somehow have ticked a fair few more boxes for sure!
Dampers- Just buy Ohlins if you can, simply far superior for track and also great on the road.
Uprated Cooling - Looks like you've done it but it's essential to keep the engine at full power in the heat.
350 Map - Not essential at all to start with. It costs a few hours to add later on but the car will be plenty fast enough initially and you can be much more aggressive with the 320 map.

Bits you might consider:
Clutch foot rest/passenger foot rest if you take people out. Also, much more comfortable on the road.
CF dash. If you buy nothing else cf, then get the dash as every time you start the car and look down it feels very special.

Obviously it's easy to keep spending but I think you've already specced a great car.

Cheers,
Stu

8_enj

Post by 8_enj » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 pm

Hi this is well worth a watch for help with specification etc