Speed Awareness Course- Insurance

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
44 TOY

Speed Awareness Course- Insurance

Post by 44 TOY » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:48 pm

Hello All, I’ve had a letter through the post today to say I have been caught doing 36mph in a 30mph zone (not in the Atom).

I assume I will get the chance to do a speed awareness course, does anyone know if a speed awareness course will massively ramp up insurance prices with the few insurers who consider insuring an Atom 4 (I’m currently with Reis motorsport).

Thanks in advance.

Alistairbuchanan

Re: Speed Awareness Course- Insurance

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:55 pm

44 TOY wrote:Hello All, I’ve had a letter through the post today to say I have been caught doing 36mph in a 30mph zone (not in the Atom).

I assume I will get the chance to do a speed awareness course, does anyone know if a speed awareness course will massively ramp up insurance prices with the few insurers who consider insuring an Atom 4 (I’m currently with Reis motorsport).

Thanks in advance.
Surely the letter states what options are on the table? If u currently have a clean licence then I wouldn’t worry about it.

What most people forget to do is to inform the insurance company when you get the points and not at renewal time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:26 pm

I tried to declare a Speed Awareness course (as well as a Windscreen repair) to my insurers and they just laughed.

BTW - the Speed Awareness course led me to do my Advanced Driving test. I was intrigued...

Thanks to doing 83 on a motorway one Sunday morning, I'm now an Advanced Driver and benefit from reduced premiums.

Makes you wonder...

44 TOY

Post by 44 TOY » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:36 pm

Alistairbuchanan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:55 pm
44 TOY wrote:Hello All, I’ve had a letter through the post today to say I have been caught doing 36mph in a 30mph zone (not in the Atom).

Thanks in advance.
Surely the letter states what options are on the table? If u currently have a clean licence then I wouldn’t worry about it.

What most people forget to do is to inform the insurance company when you get the points and not at renewal time.

Attachments
BA6D99FA-3805-4595-B8EF-7FBA928ED976.jpeg
BA6D99FA-3805-4595-B8EF-7FBA928ED976.jpeg (985.13 KiB) Viewed 649 times

44 TOY

Post by 44 TOY » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:39 pm

I haven’t had the first letter but this arrived today annoyingly so I don’t know the content of the first letter- perhaps they presented options on that letter.

Interesting about the advanced driver course Karl.

Thanks for the replies

Karl V

Post by Karl V » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:16 pm

From memory, the offer is: take the points and fine OR take the course.

There is a cost for the course (about the same as the cost for the fine from what I remember - about £90?), but you forgo the points and insurance companies don't (by and large) give a hoot on the speed awareness course.

You don't get a 2nd chance on the course BTW. I.e. you can't do the course 3 times in a year if you are caught another 3 times. The idea is you learn, reduce your speed, and not get caught again. If you do get caught, then you get points, no questions asked / options given.

I looked into Advanced Driving because I got bored on the Speed Awareness course. Some of the course was quite interesting to me - anticipating hazards, defensive driving, maximising progress when the road allows. But then we got to how to bow and scrape to lycra clad cyclists on a Sunday morning and I almost walked out.

Take the course Luke ;)

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/courses

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:35 am

I had one very recently. The first letter stated 'you may be eligible to take a speed awareness course I fessed up and they offered me the course and I'm doing it (online) in April.
That letter suggests that isn't in the table.
48 in a 40 limit, early Sunday morning, 3 lane dual carriageway.

A
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

phil4

Post by phil4 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 am

That letter says they already sent you a Notice of Intention to Prosecute, and requested you nominate the drive (Driver Info Form).

As a NIP isn't an offer of a course, and nor is that, it looks like that's not an option. As such I'd speedily respond if I were you.

Karl's suggestion isn't a bad one either, just like getting tuition on track, getting pointers on the road can help too.

ArBrMD

Post by ArBrMD » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:52 am

Alan... 48 in a 40 zone, you sick speed addicted adrenaline junkie...

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:51 pm

😈
Beautiful 2000 XJR, last ever supercharged Atom, Fiesta Active, 'Verstappen' Honda e, Focus, Jaguar iPace, Volcano Yellow, MSO Black Pack 720S Spider.

Alistairbuchanan

Post by Alistairbuchanan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:16 pm

ArBrMD wrote:Alan... 48 in a 40 zone, you sick speed addicted adrenaline junkie...
Nicked at 48 means u were prob into the 50’s....tut tut

44 TOY

Post by 44 TOY » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:37 pm

Thanks for all the replies gents, I have sent the form back so I’ll see what comes back from them... hopefully the offer of a course!

reg

Post by reg » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:53 pm

So far I am on my third. It's not a badge of honour, more stupidity. Each course was fine, they have the usual mix of those really very upset that they are there, then the seriously confused, who confirm the average road user is actually more dangerous than anything else. The procedure is, arrive, agree, drink some coffee and leave. They are useful and should be mandatory each year, just a re-enforcement of exactly when not to speed.

AlanDBrown

Post by AlanDBrown » Sat May 01, 2021 6:58 am

It’s normally the opposite. If you go on a course it’s meant to be that it is as if you weren’t speeding in the first place. You therefore don’t need to declare it however Ive been led to believe (and I may be wrong) that there is statistical evidence that those that go on the course improve as drivers and some insurers reduce premiums as a result.