Trackday at Thruxton

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
dannsimmons

Trackday at Thruxton

Post by dannsimmons » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Hi guys

I have a trackday set for Thruxton on 30 April where my Atom 3.5 needs to meet the 90dB static noise test.

In previous years I have avoided this track because of the low noise limit. Last year I tracked at Thruxton in my Audi and took the opportunity to ask the noise people there if they had ever had Atoms pass the noise limit. They said occasionally.

Hmmm...

So the track day organisers on this day have said they’ll refund the cost of the day if my Atom fails the noise test.

They also have the photo (attached) on their Thruxton page of their website, clearly showing two Atoms on track. The kerb colours look like Thruxton.

So - I wondered if any Atom owners had tracked at Thruxton.. and of so .. how did the noise test go / any tips?

It’s a static test only.

Many thanks
Attachments
6C497258-AC13-46F3-B6C3-F4E88CA64E45.jpeg
6C497258-AC13-46F3-B6C3-F4E88CA64E45.jpeg (294.44 KiB) Viewed 566 times

wasp

Re: Trackday at Thruxton

Post by wasp » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:23 am

Thruxton has always been very marginal for an Atom but if you have your Cat fitted and are really nice with the noise guys you should just scrape through (just be slow in building the revs.) I know the people in this shot and that was indeed at Thruxton.
I hope that you have a great day.

Cheers,
Stu

Funksta

Post by Funksta » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Thruxton is my local circuit and I would defo like to have track days there!!! Only thing is its going to be around 2 years until my Atom is built and ready to play :( Hopefully when the time comes, with a standard silencer it will all be ok! :)

Old Bill

Post by Old Bill » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:16 pm

Photo shows me (Yellow Atom) and friend. I was dubious attending Thruxton as on my 3.5 I always registered 92/93 on various meters. However he had driven it before and passed the noise test. So worth a try.
Had friendly chat with the guy prior to noise test and lo and behold 90 DB!! both cars. No Cat. fitted. I still don't believe it but Hey Ho we had a great day.
Not worth trying the 4 as that registers 95DB. Definitely don't fit the sports exhaust if you intend driving UK trackdays.

Hope that helps

Old Bill

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:21 pm

I saw this and was thinking about seeing if I could sneak under the noise limit. My 3.5 has registered higher than 90 on every Trackday I have been to. Goodwood thought it was 98db but normally it is around the 92-93 mark.
I have heard tell that if you follow the ‘DBAD’* rule, you may be given the benefit of doubt re accuracy of the meters.

I might chance it myself. If the Atom doesn’t pass I will have lap in my tow car family bus!

*Don’t be a dick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#BananAtom

woodsypedia

Post by woodsypedia » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:25 am

I'm at Thruxton in mine on the 14th June. It's one track I don't have any experience with. Really looking forward to it. I've got the sports exhaust on so going to have to swap this over - suspect I'm going to hit a noise limit.

LMK if anyone else is going?

Cheers

Chris.